BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[BILATERAL TKR] Loving new knees!

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by possum65, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    You have had 4 major surgeries in the last 7 months, it is normal to be tired, you body is still recovering from all 4 surgeries. Most of us would still have fatigue from any 1 of the 4 surgeries you had.
    Be kind to yourself and give your body time to heal, from all the surgeries.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I agree, tiredness is par for the course at only 8 weeks post op, even after only 1 major surgery, let alone 4!

If it was me I would let someone else do the vacuuming!

3. possum65

possum65 junior member

New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks lovely people, I kind of knew what your answers would be! Just venting, and it sure helps to hear your responses. (Reclining in chair and reading)

• Like Like x 3
  4. Irish471

Irish471 senior

@possum65 , I am going to be 6 weeks post op tomorrow. Today, I tried to change the cat litter box, walk the dog, and vacuum one room in the house. Very exhausted after those 3 things!!! I used to be a whirlwind going through the house doing laundry for the entire family, cleaning, shopping, etc. It will be a while before I get the stamina back to do all that again :yawn: We definitely have to be kind to ourselves!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jockette

My husband wouldn’t let me vacuum for months! :roseshwr:

• Like Like x 4
  6. possum65

possum65 junior member

New Zealand New Zealand
    Right, I am going to back off the housework. I am probably doing a bit much, even though I don't have swelling or pain. Thanks for the support.

7. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I found my exhaustion extremely aggravating. I'm divorced and had everything to take care of. I would do just one big thing a day then rest the next day. Of course, there was still all the little daily things I had to do! It took a few months for me to even have a halfway decent day of energy. You have 4X what I had in just a short period of time. Take your much needed times of rest. Your body will thank you!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. possum65

possum65 junior member

New Zealand New Zealand
    @sistersinhim
    "I found my exhaustion extremely aggravating", that describes it perfectly! I also plan to do one larger thing (vacuum, leaf blowing e. g) each day, with the rest of the day made up of "everything else", and that really wipes me out! The fatigue truly is the hardest part of this recovery for me. I am (ever so slowly) starting to realise that there is NOTHING I can do to push my recovery, my body is in charge of this!

9. FCBayern

FCBayern member

@possum65 With all you have been through in such a short period of time your body is absolutely in charge, the more you listen to it the better you'll feel. Hang in there. :SUNsmile:

10. possum65

possum65 junior member

New Zealand New Zealand
    I am so used to being in charge, this is truly a humbling experience

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. FCBayern

FCBayern member

So far I haven't seen anyone on this site that said "this is exactly what I was expecting". It's a tough recovery but we just need to remember that a pain free knee is in our future.

• Like Like x 3
  12. KarriB

KarriB FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

TKR was my first surgery EVER! While the surgery and pain were both thing I knew nothing about, the exhaustion and sleeplessness were the hardest for me. Unless you’ve had a joint replacement, I’m not sure anyone knows what to expect.

Give into your body, nap or sleep whenever you can. Your body is working so hard to recover from the trauma of surgery it needs sleep, sleep sleep!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Even that could be a bit ambitious right now. Certainly, I don't think you should be doing leaf-blowing.

Annoying as it is, there'a real reason for your fatigue - most of your body's energy is being directed towards healing your knee. Your knee needs you to rest, so it can heal. You don't want to be using up the energy that should be helping your knee.

"Patience, Grasshopper." patience grasshopper.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. possum65

possum65 junior member

New Zealand New Zealand
    @Jamie could you please change the heading of my thread to "Loving new knees!". There is no option to edit the heading at the top of the page on my device. Thank you in advance.

15. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@possum65 ,
    You will see I have updated your title, if you want to change it in the future just post it here, and a moderator will change it for you.
    Happy to hear you are doing well and love your new knees.

16. possum65

possum65 junior member

New Zealand New Zealand
    Thank you @pumpkin for changing my heading to reflect my new optimism!
    Yes, despite that lingering fatigue (whick I have now accepted), I am delighted with my new knees! Nearly 9 weeks and I have no pain, good flexion and extension, can walk up and down stairs, ride my exercycle daily, walk straight again and sleep well again at night.
    Yes, I have that tight knee feeling going down stairs and after sitting for a while,and I am tired easily. But I am so happy with how everything is progressing. I have had a great physiotherapist, with a gentle approach to knees, and a very skilled and experienced surgeon.
    I am glad I had BTKJ replacements, although it was rough for the first 2-3 weeks. I think it's difficult whether you have single or double!
    I think Bonesmart has played an important part in my recovery, in particular the advice on how to approach exercise. I would have been pushing myself a lot harder, and most likely struggled with pain, swelling and despondency. This site is just the bees knees!

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
  17. Jockette

What a wonderful recovery you are having! I love your Bees Knees comment.

18. possum65

possum65 junior member

New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes, I feel very, very fortunate. I know some really have a much harder time than me. My surgeon says it really doesn't matter how quickly you recover ROM etc; most patients are roughly the same at around a year. In other words, CHILL- it will happen when it happens. Easier said than done I know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. possum65

possum65 junior member

New Zealand New Zealand
    By the way, my physio has measured my ROM only once or twice, for his records ( don't remember the numbers). My OS has NEVER measured - his approach is "can you straighten your legs? - good. Show me how much you can bend your knees - great! He is not particularly interested in the numbers, just the function of the knees. I love that approach. I am the type who would get terribly hung up on the numbers and compete with myself!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. FCBayern

FCBayern member

@possum65 what a great report! And so early in recovery from BTKY to boot. Happy to
    hear your doing so well, the futures so bright you'll have to wear shades. (Not sure that will translate outside the US).:flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1