Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

Your dinner sounds delicious! Glad you are able to star cooking your own meals.
Congratulations on the dry run in the bathtub, next time a nice warm bath! :bath:

Awesome accomplishments! So encouraging to read. I bet it felt great to go to the grocery store and prepare a meal. It’s amazing how surgery / recovery help us appreciate the simple things we so easily take for granted. At least I felt that way.
Go Kim! :yes!:

Wow Kim, I'm really impressed... getting in and out of a bathtub :bath:I'm one year post surgery and only ever use the walk in shower as I really have no faith I would be able to get out of the bathtub unassisted.:rotfl:
Well done you !! On all your achievements Have a happy Sunday xxx

I really have no faith I would be able to get out of the bathtub unassisted
I tried a dry run with my husband standing by. That way there was no way I'd get stuck. I did it on my own, but if I wasn't able to manage he would have helped me get back up and out. Plus, I was fully clothed and dry so I'd not do any slipping around while I tried. I figured out a way to do it without having to worry about how I'd do it fully wet.

You've made such a lot of progress lately, Kim. Cooking, grocery shopping, taking a bath. Most impressive!

I always recommend trying a dry run before committing to having a bath. So much less embarrassing if you have to be rescued.
Last Easter, I failed to take my own advice and I almost got stuck in a spa bath in a motel. My sweet husband, who I had hoped would help, just looked at me and laughed. I felt like murdering him, but that was sufficient incentive to find a way to get myself out.

That’s a great idea- I’ve always loved baths and it was the way I relieved stress. But I have not been able to for a long time.
you have come so far- I’m so happy for you. You struggled with so much pain-I love hearing that you are doing so good.

Great progress. Be careful though, its so easy to overdo. I know you know that, just sayin.

As for the tub, great idea to "practice" before hand. Having said that does anyone have any idea's for getting in/out of a hot tub? Its on the ground, not sunken. The two wooden steps to get in are fine, but tossing in a leg and getting the other in is anything but graceful. Then the getting out is so difficult, frankly I just don't use it. I miss it, I love how relaxed I get, back will feel great, knee's feel good - until I attempt to get out.

Keep up the great progress, all be it very slowly.

does anyone have any idea's for getting in/out of a hot tub
Would it work to put a step stool inside? But only if you can safely exit that way. I think if it were me, I'd give it a pass for a while. We're putting in a hot tub as part of our landscaping plan, but it will need to be accessible both at our current age, and as we get older. Otherwise it would just be a waste of time and money.

The thing with 'most' hot tubs is where they want you to enter & exit. Its usually onto a reclining part of the hot tub. For me that has never worked. I enter / exit on the side - where when your getting in you sit on the side of the tub then swing around and both feet are on the floor of the hot tub. That's just how I've done it for me to feel safe. But equally its not graceful.

I will think about putting a step stool inside the tub - that might work. Good idea. One suggestion if you get a hot tub, on the steps they offer a handrail - GET IT. Money well spent, and frankly its not much money for a secure way to hold on.

Last Easter, I failed to take my own advice and I almost got stuck in a spa bath in a motel. My sweet husband, who I had hoped would help, just looked at me and laughed. I felt like murdering him, but that was sufficient incentive to find a way to get myself out.
That gave me a big laugh. It's amazing how much anger can help us do what we have to do!

Another milestone....today I left my cane behind for walking around the house. I'll still use it when I go out, or walk outside, but other than on bad days, it's living in the closet now. It's actually less painful to walk without the cane than with it as it throws my gait off and causes more pain. I walk better without it, although I'm still being careful as I do get hit with pain out of nowhere that causes me to jump, which can throw off my balance, so I'm extra careful. Today, so far, my leg hasn't given out on me as it was doing, and hopefully it continues not to do so.

I've also started to catch-up around here. My husband tries, and means well, but he just doesn't see the dirt like I do. Today, while he ran some errands, I cleaned all the kitchen granite countertops and the stainless steel appliances, plus the sink, all of which have been sadly neglected since before my surgery. It's been driving me nuts to see the fingerprints and such on all the stainless, plus feel the gritty countertops which he only wipes occasionally. I also cleaned the countertops under all the appliances........they were yucky! Little by little I'll catch up on everything that's been ignored and unnoticed for the last two months.

My husband reminded me that I always take forever to recover at the front end, then fly through after I get past that first bad part. This recovery has been worse than any previous ones, but I am finally starting to feel better. I still have a long road to recovery, but I'm able to do a little more each day now. I have to admit the cleaning today wore me plumb out, and my leg is also hurting, so the rest of the day I plan to get off my feet and take it easy.

Great news that you are able to walk without the cane, :old:
Who would have ever thought that cleaning the kitchen counters would be a milestone!
Congratulations!!!!

@lovetocookandsew Excellent update :) And I'm with you about gritty countertops and fingerprints!! My housemate is a good guy and loves to cook .... but his clean up leaves much to be desired! Isn't it so nice to see the kitchen sparkle?!

Great to hear you are feeling better @lovetocookandsew, but try not to let that dirt bother you too much, you know as well as anyone a trip to the ODIC is not what you need right now. :flwrysmile:

Yay, what an uplifting report! It's great to hear how well you are doing. I understand how those little accomplishments are a huge thing!

Another sign of a return to "normalcy", Today I drove my car into town to get a haircut and buy some groceries. At the grocery store, I walked, leaning on my grocery cart, instead of using an electric cart. That was okay at first, but became too much after a while, so the cart came out and hubby had to drive us back home, plus unload all the groceries. My leg let me know it's limits, so next trip to the store I will drive, but will continue to use an electric cart for a while. I can also drive to my next appointment with my OS in the middle of February, which was something I wanted to be able to do.

I haven't driven my car in months and months; even well before my surgery I had stopped driving as it became too painful. Driving today wasn't too bad, although it was only a short 20 minute drive on the freeway, but I still can't brake with my right foot, which is something I haven't been able to do for years and years. I think that when my leg finishes healing I will once again be able to move my leg that way, but for now I'll just continue on the way I have been.

It's definitely a feeling of accomplishment when you can do something again that you haven't for a long time. Hopefully progress continues!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back