Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

I haven’t heard the term log leg- I tried looking it up and couldn’t find anything specific... when you say you can’t move your quads- is it numb or weak?

Just one more explanation in case you haven’t heard enough...
I believe, I stole this one long ago from, Jaycey, who was my mentor early on, even though she didn’t know it, lol.

Log Leg - your brain is telling your leg to move but the muscles and soft tissue have been so traumatized that there's no reaction.

You seem to be a very attentive student here, as well as a supportive member. I’m sure it will take you far in your own recovery which will be here in the blink of an eye. Wishing you lots of comfort as you await the 15th.

Sorry for the derail, Kim, but I’m sure you don’t mind.

I'm not even wanting to shower yet-the pain is too intense just moving or walking -so it may be a while before I want to take a shower. But, I was told I cannot shower until 10 days after discharge anyway, so maybe by then I'll feel better and want one.

I‘m guessing by then you’ll be dying for a shower even if hubby has to carry you in and plop you on some seating long enough to bathe and wash your hair.

Ugh, Kim, I feel so sorry for you. I hope the pain begins easing very soon.

Once your pain eases up and movement will become easier Kim, that 1st warm shower will be a luxury, I sat in my shower until I almost turned wrinkly once I was given the ok :heehee:
Here's rooting for a better day for you xxx

How are you doing today, Kim?

Thanks for asking. I'm about the same-my pain level hasn't decreased at all yet so I'm moving around only when necessary. My ON-Q pump is almost done-hopefully that doesn't mean an increase in pain in the lower surgery area as that one hasn't hurt at all since it's been covered by all the different pain methods, unlike the upper/outer thigh area which hasn't been covered by any of the pain methods from day one.

I hope you’re sleeping well enough and at least getting a break from the pain during the night. :fingersx: You must be exhausted, Kim. Pain is draining. :console2:
Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

I sleep until I move in my sleep-then I wake from the pain. I am tired, and hoping the pain will abate soon. However, my ON-Q being almost gone is worrying me-if the lower surgery area starts hurting also I won't be able to take it as I'm at my limit. So I'm hoping it doesn't hurt when it's no longer covered by the pain ball.

Is it a possibility to have another pain ball? I mean it’s about the only thing that’s helped you —so I really hope so.

It's only helping with the pain on the lower leg surgery, not the (20 or 21 cm) cut on my thigh. I know it's working on my lower leg as it's all numb to touch down there.

But, I am only able to have one of them due to the higher rate of infection the longer it's in. My lower leg may be kind and not hurt-who knows, but I do know I can't take double pain right now. Thanks.

My OS told me this morning that the lower area may not hurt since there was no muscle dissection there. Just skin incisions and then the plate under the skin with a few screws. He's generally right about stuff so I'm going with that for now. There's still some pain meds left in the ON-Q, so it may be a day or two before I remove it.

Same old, same old today, Kim? :bored: Or a tad better?
Hopefully things begin easing soon. :fingersx:
Wishing you a peaceful sleep tonight. :sleep:
@lovetocookandsew

Nothing much has changed except maybe the pain has gone down just a tad-instead of a solid 10 it may be a solid 9 mostly. But it does hit me with a 10 still with certain movements, which I try to avoid as much as possible. Still having wakeful nights due to pain every time I move. I just removed the empty ON-Q, so I'm hoping no more pain ensues. I am a bit worried as my lower leg was throbbing last night; it wasn't too bad, but considering the pain ball was still in it has me a bit worried.

The ice machine hasn't been effective because I can't really position it well on my upper thigh due to the ON-Q site and having to keep the ice away from it. Now that it's out I'm going to wait a bit, then I'll put the ice wrap back on and see if it helps to be able to place it as I need to now. I can't use my LD at all as the rise of it hurts too much due to the location of the surgery and the angle of the LD. It constantly pulls at it, and I can't take that pain.

This has not been a good recovery so far; I'm at two weeks tomorrow and still can't move around without gritting my teeth and yelping constantly. As a result, I'm not doing any more walking than necessary. I did force myself into the kitchen today to make a quick sandwich, and paid for it dearly. But, I'm so tired of sitting around all the time that I did it even knowing the pain walking back to my bed and getting in would be a killer, as it was. The bed is high so I have to sit on the edge, then push myself up on it with my left leg using a stool we put next to it, while holding my right leg with the leg lifter and trying to get it onto the bed as smoothly as possible. The movement to the right is horrible, so I can't help but groan or yelp every single time. I'm sick of the whole thing and keep hoping the pain will miraculously abate.

Oh you poor poor girl! I’m so sorry that you’ve been having such a horrible time the last 2 weeks.
I just keep hoping you will turn the corner- just at least to get the pain down a couple points.

i know you are sick of being in bed- but I really think you need to try to for this week-to let your poor leg start to heal.
hopefully now that the pain ball is out you can position the ice better so that it can help.:sorry:
Sending you love and support.

The bed is high so I have to sit on the edge, then push myself up on it with my left leg using a stool we put next to it, while holding my right leg with the leg lifter and trying to get it onto the bed as smoothly as possible. The movement to the right is horrible, so I can't help but groan or yelp every single time

I’m trying to envision this...would placing / sitting on a plastic trash bag, at the edge of the bed, help you move into your desired position on the bed with more ease? I know it’s worked for some.

Hope today is better than yesterday. I’m sure the pain and boredom feel overwhelming by now. So sorry. :console2:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom