Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

Thanks for thinking of me guys.

I finally got into a room in the ICU at 2 am. Much better and I got some sleep. Not a ton but about 3 hours of solid sleep, which is much better than none.

Yesterday they had me sit at the side of my bed; I fought through and did it, but the pain involved was a solid 10 and came with tears....not kidding. When moving into this room, it was really painful to move from the first bed to the new bed; the nurses said I shouldn't have that much pain with the epidural, so were going to check into it. If I don't move my leg at all the pain settles down to a manageable ache. Apparently the epidural is turned up as much as the anesthesiologist thinks it should be, so who knows what's going to happen.

Are they letting you ice and elevate?

You beat me to the question - are you icing and elevating? From my past experience the hospital doesn't do much in the way of elevation, but they are spot on with the ice.

Hopefully your pain will be controlled soon.

Are they letting you ice and elevate?
Yes. Here you come out of surgery with an ice machine already on, and I had them use staggered pillows to elevate. The ice machine is on 24/7, so is the elevating, except when I do some sitting or standing.

About an hour ago, I stood up and took a few shuffling side-steps. Talk about a 9/10 pain wise...grrrrrrrrrr. You really do forget how hard the first days are after surgery. By three days after my revision I was walking, yet I can barely stand right now. Every surgery/recovery is different so I just have to go with the pain and try to get mobile enough, and lower the pain enough so I can go home. My head is ready to go but my leg isn't. They plan to put the pain ball in today or tomorrow, and turn it on some time after. If that works enough I can go home.

@lovetocookandsew As you have said many times - this surgery was much more complex than just TKR. Patience and persistence coupled with appropriate pain management. Don't be pushed to discharge from the hospital!

I’m so sorry that moving causes that high of pain. I’m really glad your in the ICU where you have staff available at all times to help with pain.
I had to look up what a pain ball is- I’ve never heard of it before— have you used this for a previous surgery?
Sending hugs through the internet :hugzz:

I used it last time and it was a godsend.

Today I finally got up to use the bedside commode. Getting out of bed hurt like :censored: but getting back in was beyond horrid. On a scale of 1-10 my pain was a solid 20. It hit the "just shoot me now" stage"! I know the whole ICU had to have heard me. I tried not to yell or scream, but the pain was so intense I couldn't help it. It's been over an hour and the pain has settled to about 4-not as bad as it got to but still higher than I want. I am shocked by how much pain is involved as he didn't cut bone-he just cut through skin, tissues and muscles. But the good news is the "P" fairy has come and gone (pun intended)!

I hate your having pain issues. Each surgery is different, that is for sure. When your moving on the bed to get up, have the nurse help you by holding your leg. The same thing when your getting back into the bed. When you get home do you have a strap you can use? I've found those very valuable during the early part of recovery.

Just hugs:console2:and hope this part of your recovery levels off soon.

They removed my epidural early this afternoon, and replaced it with a nerve block that will last 24-48 hours. They also placed an On-Q pain pump in another spot. Last time I had a different pain pump, but this time I have the On-Q which holds a lot more and will last longer. Although I still have some pain, it's bearable.

Right after the nerve block and the pain pump were placed, I had zero pain for a couple of hours, but some has returned. It's nothing like the excrucuating, "just shoot me now" pain, so I can deal with it, so far. However, transferring from my bed to the wheelchair and into my new bed were pretty painful.

I've been moved from the ICU to a regular room as I'm not ready to go home. My brain is ready, but my leg isn't. I haven't been able to take a step yet, so will stay at least tonight.

I know I've said in the past I never want another surgery as long as I live, and I feel the same way now, only way more!

I'm going to ask my doctor for a copy of my x-rays and I may post them here.

I’m glad your pain level has improved.

You might also want to ask for your operative report, I learned some interesting things when I read mine, like I’d also had a lateral release done during my surgery. If my doctor ever told me that, I missed it. It explains a lot with what’s going on with my leg currently, it’s where a lot of my continuing discomfort still is. :hairpulling:

Kim,
Happy to hear your pain is manageable, hope you can go home soon!
Hoping for a good nites sleep with the new pain regimen and new room.

Hoping you can have a pain free night and several uninterrupted hours of sleep. You know best how your body is feeling, no one else does. Great big TX sized hug.

Well, the good news is I'm almost disconnected from all the machines, wires, tubes, and monitors. All that's left is the foley cath, and they are still debating the pros and cons in keeping it or removing it in my case.

The bad news is, after a couple of pain-free hours, one area on the outside of my thigh has become painful again, and with a vengeance!

I have the On-Q, plus the nerve block in a different area, so I'm not sure why this is happening. Getting in and out of bed, turning to my side or re-positioning is unbearable. It does settle down to 3-ish more quickly than the pain before this afternoon had been, but it's awful until then. They've messaged the anesthesiologist, and we should hear back from him tomorrow, either by message, or in person to get his advice, input or whatever. The pain will not allow me to walk, and I was hoping to start walking tomorrow so I can go home.

Thanks everyone for all the good thoughts, prayers, hugs, and advice. It helps to know others are thinking of me and sending well-wishes my way.

As others have said I’m sending hugs -hoping that your pain keeps decreasing and that your able to take a couple steps so you can be in your own home.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads