Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

Thanks, @Jockette I'm really hoping it's not a huge process to fix it; my OS has said it's another major surgery and will mean another long hospital stay due to my crazy body, but I'm not sure of the recovery time required. I'm hoping it's a much shorter recovery than a TKR or revision, but I don't really know yet.

I bought a "charming cane". It's the same one I had before, but gave to a friend who needed one. It's a different design, but it's nice anyway. I like it because it folds into a small bag that I can put in my purse when I'm sitting down or don't need it, and have it with me for when I do, as I can go from walking fairly well to agonizing pain from one step to the next.

In my opinion, since you're getting worse, even if it will take longer than 2 months to recover from the surgery, it'll still be worth it to have it done sooner rather than later. Plus, you have the time to get through those awful first weeks! :console2:

The problem with a recovery that could take longer than two months is our upcoming move into the new house. I have to be able to function and be able to do everything needed. I also have to be able to do some shopping beforehand as we'll have no furniture, including a bedroom set, so I need to be able to do stuff. If I'll be recovered by mid-Jan or so, that'll work, if not I'll have to wait until a month or more after we move again. Since I don't know what the surgery and recovery entails, I told my OS all this and will see what he says about it. I won't have to lift or carry boxes, but I have to unpack at least the ones I've labeled as necessary right away. Even with all the issues now, I can function enough to do what I have to, even if it hurts a lot, but if I won't be able to do anything then I'll have to wait until spring.

Even with all the issues now, I can function enough to do what I have to, even if it hurts a lot, but if I won't be able to do anything then I'll have to wait until spring.
I agree with waiting, if you can tolerate it, until after you move. Not being able to really function in recovery is not good for moving. Moving is rough even in the best of circumstances.

There really is no best solution here. If only our bodies would cooperate with our schedules!:console2:

This is not the same thing, but maybe similar - when Art and I moved into our house in 2015, I was in the middle of the worst case of the flu I’ve ever had. (Note: I actually wound up in the hospital the following week, so I’m not necessarily recommending this, but we did get moved in and unpacked).

We were already pretty much packed before I we got sick, and we were already using movers, so Art called them and said, “hey, sick wife, going to need some more help here. In addition to the work they were already contracted to do, they agreed to unpack the “necessary” boxes for an hourly rate.

On the day of the move, I had a temp of 102 and occasionally attempting to cough up a lung. The last thing they took from our apartment and first thing brought into the house was an Ikea Poang chair and ottoman. I was installed there, wrapped in blankets, and turned to face the entryway. As the movers brought furniture in, I told them which room. If it was going upstairs, Art went up and told them where in the room to put it.

Two guys stayed and unpacked the “necessary“ boxes - It took them a couple of hours and was some of the best few hundred bucks we’ve ever spent. We were finding things in the kitchen in locations we occasionally found confounding, but all in all, it was good.

I think that was probably the least effort it’s possible to expend in a move. That said, I’d recommend waiting if you can.

Thanks for the info and suggestions, @jaybird. We used movers on a previous move, but this time it wouldn't work. We have stuff in a storage unit, some in a POD, some here in our cabin plus a freezer and mattress set at our daughter's house that all needed to be coordinated as to what I needed here, what needed to be available in case we need it during this time, etc. On the reverse end, we have to rent a moving truck, get our stuff from our storage unit, pack up this cabin and put it in the moving truck, stop by our daughter's for the stuff there, take it all to the new house, plus set up a date for the PODs company to deliver the rest. It's just not feasible to use movers this time.

We will have some help, but I don't want anyone else opening and unpacking boxes as I want to put stuff where I want it. It's a brand new house and I know I'm going to be a bit fussy (okay, a lot fussy....lol) about everything, and I want to be the one doing the unpacking and putting away. So, after talking to the OS about details, I'll have to make a decision on now or later.

Yesterday, I actually had a break from the upper post pain. Not a complete break, as there is always some pain there, but a day off from both the really bad pain that makes it difficult to walk, and the excruciating pain that basically doesn’t allow me to walk. Unfortunately, it started coming back when my husband and I walked over to play some pool, and this morning the pain is back with a vengeance.

But, for most of one day, I was reminded of what a ‘normal’ life is like and it just steeled my resolve to let my surgeon do whatever he has to to give me days like that every day, or even better days without any pain, if the surgery is a success as I am praying happens! Granted, facing another surgery is the last thing I ever wanted to do again after my revision, but now the last thing I want to do is live with pain that won’t go away and is actually getting worse. But, for one day, my leg behaved itself and let me see what my future could be, and for that I am grateful.

Ugh. What a tough spot you are in! Can you see any path to accomplishing the move at a different pace that would still be successful when you look back on it months along?

You probably know this better than me, but pain makes everything look so dire, narrows our view of alternatives, and shortens our long view. Maybe there is a way to move in, just differently, while you’re in months three and four of your recovery?

Oh, I hope these weeks go more easily for you than they seem to have.

What a blessing to have an almost normal day! I pray you continue to have those more and more!

@lovetocookandsew , thought of you today. Thought I would say hi! It has been a long time since I looked at this website. It will be 20 months for me on June 3rd since my revision. Overall, I am 80-90 % fine. My knee still has some internal swelling that bothers me when my knee is at a 90 degree angle sitting or in bed with my knees bent (fetal position type sleep). Just looking, my knee doesn't really look swollen. I think when the PA sutured me up, he got everything too tight! It's a bother but not too painful.

Thanks for stopping by, @Cementless . I'm glad you're doing so well. I still use a pillow between my knees to sleep-it might be helpful for you also if you're still uncomfortable while lying on your side. I doubt if he sutured you too tightly-even if that were the case, skin is elastic enough to have recovered by now.

I never did get back to sleeping on my side, trying makes my knee feel awful, it’s still so sensitive to any angle it doesn’t like, and a pillow between my knees just doesn’t work for me.

I’m happy still elevating all night. Whatever outrageous price my hospital charged me/my insurance, it’s been worth every penny!!

@Cementless I'm sorry, I missed your question. I'm not sure if it's usual after a revision, but I don't have that issue, so I'd be inclined to say it's not always the case. If it continues, and is really bugging you, you could always message your OS and get his input. You could also try icing while sleeping and see if that helps.

@XBreadman Welcome to BoneSmart! I'm getting some input for you and one of us will get back to you asap.

Last edited by a moderator:
@XBreadman You will find revision threads in the recovery areas. Look for the Revision TKR or Revision THR subtitles in front of the thread title.

You can't PM anyone until you have posted 5 times on the forum. But if you have a question please start a thread and post it. That way you won't hijack another member's thread.

I'm having my strut graft surgery on Nov. 19th; hopefully it will solve the issues I've been having and I can get back to my normal feisty and active self!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back