Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

What they did was give me Tylenol pills and IV Toradol around the clock. They really iced the upper thigh area that was killing me, elevated the bed bottom instead of just pillows, and upped the ON-Q rate. We don't know which combo was what worked, or if it all worked in concert, but I don't care at the moment. I'm over-the-moon to be home instead of there eating my hospital turkey dinner tomorrow! Some of this was the PT's idea, and some was the hospitalist's. Everyone together created a miracle for me and for that I am very grateful.

Oh Happy Day:xmark:

Hopefully your pain stays well managed and you rest comfortably. So glad to read you’re finally home.
Sweet Dreams tonight :sleeep:

What a nightmare I just went through. I went in to go to the bathroom. We have tall toilets so I just sat down as usual. Then my leg went haywire in the place where it's been painful and I was not only in agony, I could not get up! My husband had run to get dinner, and I forgot my dang phone. I had to sit there in agony until he came home and rescued me. When he tried to pull me up, somehow we both fell backwards into the back of the toilet and the wall behind the toilet, which caused me to let out an agonizing scream the likes of which I've never screamed before. Somehow he managed to get us upright and helped me back to bed. I would have been able to stand on my own if not for the massive pain. So, I'm going to have to get some kind of over toilet riser now.

I'm back in bed and on ice and the bad shaking my body is doing will settle, as will the pain. Never again!

Sorry to hear this happened so soon after you were discharged from the hospital. Hope you have the riser and some bars to help you stand.

I'm so glad you're home and that horrid pain has gone.

Oh you poor thing!!!! I really hope you can sleep and get that shaking to stop.

I'm feeling better now that things have settled down. I do, however, feel like a complete idiot. I should know better, one would think, considering all the times I've gone through this. Going to the toilet right now is not easy. I'll be calling my discharge planner tomorrow to get a riser or commode for over the toilet.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I slept for 7 or 8 hours straight last night-yay! The down side of that is I slept through my alarm so didn't take any Tylenol or Ibuprofin, and am paying for it this am. I've come to the realization that I should have stayed in the hospital a few more days, as the pain to just go to the restroom is intense, but mentally I am glad to be home.

I've called my discharge planner and left her a message about the toilet issue and I hope I hear back from her since it's a holiday today.

I know you are glad to be home but what a predicament you went through on that potty. Thank God your husband came home and helped you.

I pray your Thanksgiving is a good one and that your pain is back under control.

The pain, unfortunately, is not under control now. I have come to the conclusion that the IV Toradol was what brought the pain down. Since I can't have it at home, of course, I am in the 8-10 range in pain. If I'm in bed, on ice and perfectly still, it's 3-5, but any movement at all shoots it right on up to at least 8, and usually a 10.

I just had to use the toilet for another visit from the fairy, so I had to sit down. It's agony sitting on an elongated toilet seat, plus getting back up is a horrid affair. This time my husband was better prepared for what he needed to do, so it went "smoothly" with no falling, but the pain was still unbearable. Now I'm back in bed, on ice and very still, and it's settled back down to bearable. Oh, and I can't use my Lounge Doctor right now as the height is too painful in the upper right thigh. So, I'm using a single pillow for now, but hopefully I can use the LD later on.

I've attached the x-rays my OS sent me. The two with the bicycle chain looking thing are the tibia, the other is the femur with his instruments still in and working on me. You can't see the bone graft in the femur, due to the angle of the x-ray, but my doctor told me it's there.

Attachments

• xray.jpg
    xray.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 182
  • xray2.jpg
    xray2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 204
  • xray3.jpg
    xray3.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 191
Sorry you're still in so much pain, Kim.
Can you phone and let someone know, and ask for more or different pain relief?

ask for more or different pain relief
There's nothing else I can take and nothing else they can do, other than IV Toradol, but that would require another in-patient stay. So, I guess I'm just stuck. Also, because it's a major holiday, no one's around, other than the ER and hospital. I'll survive until tomorrow and see what we can do then. Thanks.

I hope things start settling down for you. Like your x-rays. You are looking like me with all the wires :) Happy Thanksgiving!

Home health called me early this afternoon to tell me she will be here tomorrow morning to check on me. She also ordered an over-the-toilet commode for me which will be delivered, probably tomorrow.

I'm hoping she can remove the mile of ace bandages they wrapped me in, as I think part of the reason for all the swelling in my foot is the ace wraps, along with all the surgery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562