Lounge Doctor

THR Lovestojog's Recovery Story

Lovestojog

Country
United States United States
I had a right THR on September 8, 2020, one week ago and am joining September Sapphires 2020 on the Recovery page. It has been better than I expected but am settling in for the next 5 weeks to let this bone heal. I know it will be a long slog as opposed to my pre-surgery zipping around and exercising and carrying grandkids and doing strenuous gardening and climbing about.

Very happy with the surgical team who I recommend and with the ERAS process. Anterior, no opioids, no cement. More later!

Pumpkln

Country
@Lovestojog
You are a member of the September Sapphires THR Club 2020. You will find the 2020 thread Here .

You'll notice that I have moved your newest post and started your recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you have your own recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • With your own recovery thread, you will see the posts and advice others have left for you.
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hello and welcome. I am going to include our recovery guidelines below. Just click on any of the headings and there is lots of useful information that will open up for reading. Have a peaceful day.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you

b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Activity progression for THRs

6. Access to these pages on the website

Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications

Wound Closure

Pain management and the pain chart

Healing: how long does it take?

Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule

Energy drain for THRs

Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

OP
OP
L

Lovestojog

Country
Did anyone else have more trouble with the meds than with their leg?
I got a headache giving up ibuprofen and am now moving off of Tylenol. (Never took anything stronger.)

The headache was worse than my sore leg! Some people are not meant to take stuff.

Am still on aspirin (81 mgs twice a day) for 2 weeks to counter DVTs (blood clots) and look forward to dropping that.

Thanks,

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
All I can say is meds, even over the counter, affect everyone differently. And if you've been taking something for a period of time, tapering off might be easier than just stopping cold. Sounds like you and the new hip are doing good other than some minor issues with meds.

OP
OP
L

Lovestojog

Country
Thanks. Does anyone know how long it takes bone to grow around the implant? And is that different by individual? And how much bone is "enough" to drop restrictions and do more?

Eman85

post-grad
Country
As it was explained to me restrictions are not as much about the bone growing as it was the muscles healing. To do the magic they have to disassemble you and things get stretched. The implant has no capsule or anything holding it in place. The restriction deal is about dislocation not damaging the implant.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
As it was explained to me restrictions are not as much about the bone growing as it was the muscles healing. To do the magic they have to disassemble you and things get stretched. The implant has no capsule or anything holding it in place. The restriction deal is about dislocation not damaging the implant.
Eman is correct that the muscles and ligaments need to heal and become stabilized, however, check this out...a pseudo-capsule actually does form to stabilize the joint.
Our nurse emeritus has a good article that gives timelines which will differ for individuals.

Also, check out your article in the recovery guidelines regarding Healing and how long it takes.

OP
OP
L

Lovestojog

Country
For experienced hippies, when does the leg feel totally normal (no stiffness, soreness)?

THanks,
LovestoJog

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Each of us is different. I can do pretty much anything I want at about 11m but if I overdo or if I sit too long (hours) without moving than my hip lets me know. This is not real pain but I know that I overdid. Even without a hip replacement I might be achey if I overdo so I do not consider this a real issue.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Normal...well improvements came very quickly after the first month as I sure wasn't 'normal" before hip surgery.
There will be niggles and certainly stiffness will prevail for some time...but that bone crunching hip pain I experienced was noticeably gone and the rest was all on the way to truly getting well.
Keep the faith, early days...friend.:console2:

Eman85

post-grad
Country
For experienced hippies, when does the leg feel totally normal (no stiffness, soreness)?

THanks,
LovestoJog
What's normal? I'd like to feel like I'm 30 or 40 but it's not going to happen. I feel like a guy that's had 2 THR's and got rid of the joint pain. I have stiffness and soreness and some weakness. I'll always know I had bad hips and THR's. I can do anything I want and I don't have pain while doing it. I stop sometimes late in the day and realize that my hips aren't hurting like they used to deep in the joint. I get up in the morning and have stiffness in my muscles, some days more than others. It usually works it's way out during coffee refills and don't think much about it.

OP
OP
L

Lovestojog

Country
Eman95, that article and your suggestions were really helpful and specific.

Appreciate it.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hey, Hey :wave: Happy One Month Anniversary!
How have you been over the past couple weeks? Hopefully you’re pleased with and enjoying your progress. Please let us know how you’re doing, as time allows.
All the best to you!
@Lovestojog

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
uzairahmedkhan