TKR Lovely's Recovery Thread

@sistersinhim - He is amazing. I have been seeing him for 12 years, so he knows my knee well. He suggested an orthopedic brace to hopefully buy 10 more years before replacement. That suggestion bought me 12 years. I am so grateful for his approach and willingness to address my knee, individually, not just following the usual protocol and practice. I can't say enough good things about Dr. Marcus Roux in Waxahachie, Texas!

Yesterday, I had the grandboys over and we enjoyed our family tradition of making Christmas sugar cookies. We had so much fun! :happydance: It was wonderful to see them and was a welcome distraction. Apparently, it was a bit overly optimistic. By the day's end, I was exhausted and my knee was incredibly sore. I landed in my chair, with ice, for the remainder of the evening and endured a long, painful night. :elevate: It was a reminder that even though I want to keep the holiday family traditions, that may not be entirely possible this year. I am disappointed and a bit sad about that. :boohoo: I know that I need to be kind to, and patient with, my new knee; but, I am a huge traditionalist. So, I will have to find ways to enjoy the traditions, while allowing others to handle the physical aspects. I am finding it difficult to stay down. :shrug:

So, I will have to find ways to enjoy the traditions, while allowing others to handle the physical aspects. I am finding it difficult to stay down. :shrug:
There are balances in all we do, and in Recovery we have to find a new balance. But take heart, Recovery is temporary. Next year you’ll be able to keep up a much better pace. :carols:

It's 36 degrees, with rain. It sure has been nice not being able to predict the cold front coming in, for a change!!

The one demanding tradition of Chanukah for me is frying loads of latkes (potato pancakes). I’ll miss that this year. Alas.

Wow! I slept more today than I have any single night or day so far. I hope that means that my body is trying to heal and that "corner" I keep hearing about is coming soon.

I was also able to significantly decrease medications today. I have kept ice on, but pain medications were only necessary first thing in the morning. YAY!! :yay: :happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:

:yes!: It feels so great to have a really decent nights sleep and good news that you've managed to reduced medication you will see changes everyday.
Just remember to take things easy and have loads of patience xx

Today, I woke up with my knee really aching. Now, I feel like the Tin Man, in desperate need of an oil can just to move it. Is that normal? If so, does feeling get better or go away? If feels really odd.

I was also able to significantly decrease medications today. I have kept ice on, but pain medications were only necessary first thing in the morning.
This is why your knee woke up really achy. I suggest to take your pain meds before bed or in the middle of the night when you wake up. Most everyone needs more medication at night when the pain seems to escalate.

I suggest to take your pain meds before bed or in the middle of the night when you wake up.
@sistersinhim That's the only time I consistently take Tramadol (the only pain med I still have available and in very limited supply, with no refills) - at night, before I attempt to sleep. Otherwise, I take extra strength Tylenol and Celebrex. Other than Xarelto, that's all I have. Currently, I take Tramadol, Xarelto, and Celebrex before bed; and then Tylenol if I awake during the night. Upon waking, I take Celebrex and Tylenol and then Tylenol for pain during the day.

It's a wet 30 degrees here and I am feeling it today. For some reason, I thought that the pain that comes with changes in the weather would go away after TKR. I am not finding that to be true at all. I understand that I am only almost 4 weeks post-op, but I thought that the pain would be better by now. I have PT today, so I'm curious to see how the weather affects (gentle) assisted mobility. I am down to Gabapentin and Extra-Strength Tylenol for pain. I think that some of the frustration is due to the lack of sleep. Does anyone know if I can take Advil PM at this stage if I am on Celebrex?

Maybe the weather and the pain are coincidental, she said hopefully?

I felt familiar pain in the spot that had been the worst for me before the surgery, and I thought maybe the had left my patella behind. The PA assured me otherwise and said people do still feel some of the old pain for a while. Maybe it’s soft tissue pain that I mis-identified as bone pain.

I’ve just started using the PM version of whichever OTC pain med I take near 9pm. I think it helps.

Good luck.

For some reason, I thought that the pain that comes with changes in the weather would go away after TKR.
It will. Your soft tissues are far from being healed and it's not unusual for weather to affect it. The more you heal, the less you'll feel those changes.

Does anyone know if I can take Advil PM at this stage if I am on Celebrex?
No. You shouldn't take them both as they are both NSAIDs - non-steroidal anti-inflammatories.

All these drugs carry the risk of gastro-intestinal upsets and bleeding, as well as increasing the incidence of heart problems. You don't want a double helping of them.
NSAIDs Diclofenac. ibuprofen increase risk of heart problems: new study

The agent that helps you sleep when you take Advil PM is an anti-histamine. Perhaps you could ask your own doctor for something like that, to help with sleeping?

The agent that helps you sleep when you take Advil PM is an anti-histamine. Perhaps you could ask your own doctor for something like that, to help with sleeping?
I have always taken OTC Advil (800 mg) for my OA. I tried several different NSAIDs with me. OTC Advil is the only thing that does not cause stomach/gastro issues for me. I will ask him about a sleep aid. Thanks, @Celle !! :cheers2:

It will. Your soft tissues are far from being healed and it's not unusual for weather to affect it. The more you heal, the less you'll feel those changes.
@sistersinhim Thanks, that makes sense.

I felt familiar pain in the spot that had been the worst for me before the surgery, and I thought maybe the had left my patella behind. The PA assured me otherwise and said people do still feel some of the old pain for a while. Maybe it’s soft tissue pain that I mis-identified as bone pain.
Good to know! I was pleased not to be a barometer for the incoming cold front! :yay: I used to be able to predict weather changes 3 days in advance. I used to think I missed my calling as meteorologist. :rotfl: I'm hoping those days are over. :happydance:

I have always taken OTC Advil (800 mg) for my OA. I tried several different NSAIDs with me. OTC Advil is the only thing that does not cause stomach/gastro issues for me. I will ask him about a sleep aid. Thanks, @Celle !! :cheers2:
That's fine, but you can't mix it with another NSAID, so don't take Advil PM while you're taking Celebrex.

I felt familiar pain in the spot that had been the worst for me before the surgery, and I thought maybe the had left my patella behind.
@Helizabug - They do leave your patella behind. They don't remove it.
What they do is remove the damaged cartilage from the back of it and replace that with a plastic button.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GardenGram
Recent bookmarks