TKR Lovablenut's Newbie Adventure

Dear Lovablenut and wife, I’ve just been reading your story and am so sorry to hear about the bad start. I‘m so glad you found this site and all the good advice on it.
I’m from the UK but had both my TKRs here in France where I live. I stayed in hospital for 4 nights after the op, my choice to get the pain control right and to rest, also able to see the hospital Kine (physio) on the monday morning as well as on the Friday.
Now I have a Kine who I visit once a week and the nurse comes to see me every day for injections and dressings. First week I was home I used crutches all the time, and a little rucksack on my back for books and bits (to reduce the husbands fetching and carrying) I did nothing but rest, with foot up and ice a lot of the time. Very fortunate as husband always here to do everything.
now 2+ weeks on I walk a little without crutches and get my own breakfast.
in spite of all the good care in France, I have to say that when I discovered BoneSmart on line last March after my first TKR I was so relieved! I also found exercises on line which weren’t available elsewhere.

No one, not the hospital, nurses or Kine, give the kind of advice and support available on this site. (I must admit my poor french language skills may not help here...) and of course all the experiences of others going through the same thing are so comforting and helpful.

We have a cat who was very puzzled when I disappeared, he now tends to sit on the arm of the chair next to me in the evenings and when the nurse comes he stays there, supervising what goes on. He’s also a great comfort to the husband who, as you will know (especially as you’re working, as well) has a great deal to do and gets very tired himself.

Lastly, do not beat yourself up about what has happened. It’s not your fault. you weren’t to know, and no one except this site seems to give the advice that’s needed about resting and listening to your knee.

Yes Storm Dennis was quite frightening. Were you near to any of the flooded areas.I am in the UK as well so we did not venture out yestetday.

Henrietta, you're right. This forum is brilliant. Have learned so much in the last couple of days since I found it. I'm so interested to read everyone's experiences and to understand how practical advice is on here and how positive.

Aries thankfully we are near the Scottish Borders and haven't been affected by flooding but my heart goes out to those who have. So distressing.

Currently at hospital. My hubby found his leg so swollen and painful this morning. I got him to the GP who said he wanted to eliminate the possibility of a blood clot so have been here since 10 am. Just waiting for a scan and to see a doctor. I'm hoping is just a precaution.

Lovablenut, was your husband on a blood thinner as a precaution after surgery. I had shoulder surgery 5 years ago, developed DVT which turned into pulmonary embolism.. As a precaution after PKR, I was placed on Eliquis, twice a day

Praying you up Loveablenut! Hoping it is nothing serious. Keep us posted!

Thanks guys. Still waiting for the scan and blood results.

They gave him soluble aspirin at the hospital where he had his surgery but nothing else.

@Lovablenut So sorry your husband has had this "bump" in the recovery road. Please keep us updated.

All is good. Tests were all negative and they have put it down to post op "settling." It's been a long day, but worth having the reassurance from the hospital.

Back home now. Knee elevated and ice pack on. A small single malt whisky at his side, but I suspect he'll be asleep before long.

Whew! So glad all is well. Ice is your husband's friend. Hope you both rest easy tonight.

Glad to hear no issues! And the single malt whisky is a nice coming home present!

So pleased that you are back home and alĺ is well. It is a very stressful time and a good thing that you have had every thing checked out.

He must be feeling shattered as I know I'm exhausted, so it's going to be much worse for him.

What an long, tiring day for both of you. I pray you both get lots of sleep tonight.

Glad all is well. So tiring for you both though.
I’m now having the odd glass of wine, which of course is a prerequisite of living in a wine growing area....

I had the same scare with a swollen, extremely painful calf. I went to the ER and had a scan. Turned out to be a hematoma, which has nothing to do with a blood clot. However, the symptoms were similar. It took care of itself in a few days. The doctor said I did the right thing getting it checked. You don't want to take a chance on having an untreated blood clot. Even though it was a stressful, exhausting experience, now you don't have that worry on your mind.

My kitties think they are helping by keeping me from overdoing and making me rest.

They help lots in this regard, but sometimes it just gets soooo heavy on my leg and knee -- especially the 16 lber. His 8 lb sister works better as a lap weight!

Also, the 16lber gets really antsy around breakfast, and if I get up to pee early, must watch him go thru walker or cane like slalom skier. Has been a bit of a fall risk, while little sis is scared of these items.

I have been a cat rescuer for years. At the time of my tkr, I had 13 to take care of. Talking about keeping me busy! Most of them were really good. The only bad time I had was when my big male jumped on my new knee and I screamed. He, nor any of the others did that again.

I firmly believe that pets help us recover quicker than not having them. Creatures depending on us is a strong incentive to heal well, and the love they us is so comforting. Enjoy those kitties.

Now Henrietta - you're just making me jealous now, lol !

Bikinglynn, yes am glad we got it checked. I don't want to take any chances with his health. I'm more of a control freak than I ever realised. Im glad you got yours sorted too.

I'm getting a bit of pushback from work who clearly think my OH should be managing perfectly well on his own whereas I disagree. I'm not asking for unpaid leave - just an ability to work from home until I'm satisfied he's over his initial rocky start.

Julia - you have a 16lber??! Wow!! I bet he's a beauty. And your little 8lb minnow too. I think our biggest is around 8lb - he's like a Norwegian Forest cat - the one on cuddling duties. The other 2 gurlies will be about 6lb wet through (they're lithe and little - semi ferals but very loving). Gotta admit the minute hubby is up on his crutches the gurlies skidaddle. You're right - they can be the most glorious trip hazard but by gum they're precious.

Sistersinhim that's fantastic. We support our local shelter. All 3 of ours came from them. I couldn't agree more - animals are wonderful aids to healing. They just make life sunnier all round. Thankfully, the bairns have all been very gentle with their Dad - like they know he needs special care right now.

Wow One of my 3 cats looks exactly like yours. He was terrified of the walker and scared of the cane but now is coming around. Knows I am still too slow to catch him.

IMG_20190127_161801401-01.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie