BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Lounge Doctor and ice machine

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by gecko, Sep 12, 2018.

1. gecko

gecko member

Australia Australia
    Good Morning all,
    I am wanting to buy a lounge doctor Amazon dont ship them to Australia what is the best shape to get there are some that are just curved to fit leg or legs and others that actually have the leg indentation???
    Also my hospital will send me home with an ice bag, what are some icemachine brands I might get over here in Aus

Thanks Loverlys:what::umm:

2. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

United States United States
    Here is an article from our BoneSmart Library that will give you information as well as photos of what is preferred for leg elevation. Sorry about the lounge doctor as a large number of our members swear by it for comfort and help with swelling.

Any of the ice machines are fine. Some are "manual" meaning you have to lift the ice container up periodically to get cold water circulating through the tubes and pad. You may want to pay a little more and get one that has a small motor to continuously pump the cool water through the system. One called Game Ready offers compression as well as cool therapy, but it's really expensive. Don Joy and Breg are two reputable brands for the motorized ice machines.

Be sure if you make any of your purchases through Amazon that you sign into the smile.Amazon program and pick BoneSmart (FARM Ortho) as your desired charity for purchases. That way BoneSmart receives a small donation with each purchase you make. It costs nothing to do this and will most certainly benefit BoneSmart!

3. gecko

gecko member

Australia Australia
    Thankyou so much obviously didnt look hard enough, best have a mothers look next time

4. beachy

beachy post-grad

Hi Gecko
    I have the lounge doc but left it at the beach house. While I’m away I’ve used 3 pillows and it’s working fine. If you can’t get the lounge doc don’t worry. Just get 3 firm pillows and stack them like in the article. I stacked them length wise parallel to leg. It was more comfy.
    I’m less than 3 weeks from TKR! It seems to be going quickly.

5. gecko

gecko member

Australia Australia
    @beachy yes I think that is what I will have to do, tried to get one made but it is to costly, I agree though I am 7 weeks away it is all of a sudden getting close ,very busy trying to get ready for cruise and op, so have to be ready in less than 5 weeks, not sure if cruising imediately before TKR was a smart idea

6. beachy

beachy post-grad

I’ve been reading this forum for several months and it’s amazing how little “stuff” some people need to recover. Not everybody has a lounge doc. Some people have done well with bags of frozen peas for icing, etc.

It seems that it’s not what you use to elevate but how you elevate. There’s an article on here about that. I’m going to use pillows while on the recliner and lounge doc in bed.

As long as you’re able to walk around the ship then go on that cruise! Seems like a fun way to get your mind off your knee for awhile!

• Like Like x 1
  7. MissViv18

MissViv18 junior member

I've got the lounge dr. and so far not used it much. It is so BIG that I can't use it in the recliner and even in the bed it is HUGE and not that comfortable. My husband was asking if I could return it but we ordered it several weeks ago and I have thrown away the box it came in. Oh well …. maybe I can use it some after surgery but I wish I had not ordered it.

8. InkedMarie

InkedMarie graduate

I know people who used frozen veggies or ice pads over an ice machine; IMO unless you’ve used all three, you can’t know how much better an ice machine can be.

Miss Vivi did you order the right size Lounge Doctor? Did you look at measurements of LD and did you measure your recliner footrest? You may want to call wherever you purchased it to see if a return is possible.

9. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I loved my Lounge Doctor. I think I’m the member who first named it on my thread, because people kept asking what I used. I didn’t go looking for it... I went looking for a foam wedge like the one in the picture of the lady on the couch in the Do's and Don't of Elevation. She looked comfortable!

I bought the wedge that looked most like the one she had: with a dip. And that was how I found the Lounge Doctor. I bought the standard size.

Not everyone who’s tried the Lounge Doctor has loved it. Some find it uncomfortable at first and then a few weeks later find they do love it. Others never find it comfy. You might feel differently after after surgery than you did before. The same goes for just about any recovery aid: everyone’s experience is different.

10. beachy

beachy post-grad

It’s the only doctor I’ll ever sleep with :rofsign:

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I just took a few pillows and made a "ramp" with them. :)

12. Mutti3

Mutti3 graduate

I used multiple pillows for elevation, Berg ice machine, walker, and three in one bedside side commode over the toilet, and later a cane. That was it!

13. MissViv18

MissViv18 junior member

I bought the standard medium size. I am 5'5" and that was the one recommended from the lounge doctor site. Maybe it just takes some getting used to. I will keep trying it.

14. beachy

beachy post-grad

Did you get the memory foam?

15. MissViv18

MissViv18 junior member

No not the memory foam. I tried it again yesterday on the couch but it was not very comfortable. Maybe I should have ordered the small.

16. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I'm 5'6" and that's the size I used. One thing I noticed about using it: if I did not have the Lounge Doctor right up close to my butt, with my butt practically on it, it was not very comfortable for me, either. It didn't quite cradle my leg quite the way I wanted. When the edge was properly close to my bottom, though, it was perfect.

If you have a way to return or exchange it, you could try a small just to see if that works better.

17. beachy

beachy post-grad

What susieshoes said. I need the lounge doc up near my butt, also.

18. InkedMarie

InkedMarie graduate

Make that three of us who needed the LD up by the butt

19. Laurenkate

Laurenkate graduate

I didn't like the Lounge Doctor at first either. After experimenting for a while with it, I really love it now. First I had to figure out how I wanted to sit (or lay) while using it, get into that position and then put the LD right up to my fanny.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. MissViv18

MissViv18 junior member

I'll try that today. I did use it for a while in the recliner yesterday and it actually felt pretty good. I am having a lot of swelling as the day goes on and I haven't even had surgery yet!