THR lotusbuds' recovery thread

Happy 10 Months and Happy New Year! I'm right there with you on the swimming even though I'm not usually as cold as you are. It doesn't help that they run the AC pretty much non stop. That's great for out in the gym but not the pool and shower/locker room! :ice:

@Elf1 Thanks! How are you doing? How often are you swimming these days?
I am thinking of getting up earlier in the dark months and then make the pool at 8 or on the other hand its really almost empty after 1pm so that would be a good time. See how I try to trick myself and end up not going. ha ha
Happy New Year!

Hmm, I seem to do that same thing! :rotfl:

Doing ok, the cortisone shot seems to be taking effect, thigh is feeling a bit better. I haven't been doing any swimming or anything much lately as I was babying a couple of things but that's about to end!
:swim::walking::upright::treadmill:

@Elf1 Oh I missed that you had a cortisone shot. So glad it is helping. I may have to do one on my knee one day. My wish for you is that soon you get back into a routine of swimming whatever that looks like. That is the wish for me too.

Leslie---I am so envious that you have your own hot tub!! I agree that it is a perfect place to stretch and do nice gentle movements, as well as to relax and work the kinks out. My nightly hot bath helps with the relaxing, but as my tub is just a regular size one with no jets, it's not as therapeutic as your hot tub! :heehee:

You and @Elf1 are making me feel like a slug with your plans for swimming and exercising. I was doing great this summer, and into the fall when I was doing PT for my knee. But when the PT suggested I most likely had a meniscus tear and it might be good to back off of things and try to give my knee a rest, I jumped right on that. And now in the dead of winter, my motivation is zero.

@Elf1 what was your cortisone shot for? Do you feel it has been helpful overall?

From the time that my hip began to hurt until I had surgery it was 9 months. I had never really had any hip pain and then it suddenly came on. My leg and knee were hurting as well, so I went to my chiropractor for a few appointments. When things weren't improving, he said he thought I should get my knee and hip xrayed. By this point it was about 3 months after my pain started, and still manageable. Within a few weeks that all changed....the pain was horrific and the xrays showed that the hip was bone on bone, filled with spurs, and there was no hope that PT or other nonsurgical options would save it.

I wasn't avoiding surgery---I actually was looking forward to it. But I had several things planned in the 41/2 months I waited to have it done---a 3 week trip to Europe, a huge graduation party for one of my daughters and a baby shower and staying with another after the birth of their baby, So I put it off until all of those were completed. I did get two cortisone shots to get me through I think they helped, but did not offer huge relief, and I took small doses of Tramadol as well as acetaminophen. I tried CBD capsules and topicals, acupuncture, ice, and everything I could think of to stop the pain because like you, I couldn't sit, walk, or sleep comfortably. In retrospect, given how quickly I healed from the replacement, I sometimes wish I had had the surgery the second the surgeon mentioned it. He felt I should and said I'd have plenty of recovery time---but I didn't want to chance missing any of the special events. As it was, I was in incredible pain for all of them.:bawl:I walked 15,000-20,000 painful steps some days in Europe--suspect the activity and exercise helped later in my healing, but at the time I was starting to look forward to my surgery.

I know that if I have future replacements they may not go as smoothly, but this first one has certainly shown me that it is hugely beneficial to get it done so I can be more active, and live with less pain. Our minds....our fears......preconceived ideas sure can impact our decision making as both you and I have shown.

I echo that in that I wish I had had the hip done sooner.

It is a mental effort in a dark evening to drive the 10 minutes to the pool and get stuck in but once I start I find it very relaxing and it definitely helps.my legs and arms have changed shape too for the better. Shame about my tummy. Also I get swimmers appetite and can easily polish off my hubbys mushroom pasta Orleans homemade pizza with double portions of I am not very careful! I drink loads of water when I get back and thus helps curb the cravings.

About to swap the pool for the sea so will let you know how I get on. Happy New Year xx

Agree completely @Debru4 @lotusbuds @SurreyGirl Warm water movement is heaven.

It’s the getting there part that’s hard. Lucky Leslie with a hot tub! Sounds wonderful. Can’t believe how far you walked in pain Debra. Seems like for most this surgery is a miracle. Really amazing the muscle tone that comes from gentle movements.

@Fit4Family First question is of course where and what sea will you be swimming in? sounds like a holiday is in the works. I feel the same about the pool. Once I am in the water I remember why I love it so much and why its worth it. It used to be so easy for me. I remember having to be at work at 7am and getting up early enough so I could swim 20 minutes, shower and get dressed and be there on time. It was a 35 minute drive to work without the swim. Now it takes awhile to get showered and dressed. The summer is so easy as you just put on light clothes and sandals. Again its all excuses as for me the pool is the exercise that works for me the most. I need to do more weight bearing though so my goal is to get out for walks. I still need trekking poles for any distance on trails. @Debru4 I started with a meniscus tear on my knee after a fall on a cement floor tripping over computer wires at work. It took a long time to heal but I was mobile after 3 weeks. Problem for me is once it healed my hip on the same side became sore and went downhill after that. I was in Holland visiting family and was walking everywhere and must have overdone it is what I tell myself. Regardless I too waited too long to get the surgery due to fear. I am so glad I had my hip done and although recovery was slower than I thought it would be it has been well worth it. That being said I don't want to have to go through it again. Memories come up once in awhile and I see how far I've come. It was worth it 100% though. Its great you did wait so you could go to Europe and also help with the baby and all the other things you did.
The hot tub was fantastic. Its deeper than our old one and was actually easy to lie back and do bicycle legs, leg raises slowly and a few other exercises I do. My hip actually hurt in the muscles afterward but I did feel stretched out so hoping to go in daily in the morning or evening. I haven't had a bath in 2 years though I could manage now after years of pain but only shower so this is heaven.
I need encouragement to get out to exercise in the winter so hoping 2020 brings me days filled with walks and swims.
Good health to everyone in 2020!

Hi @lotusbuds Like you mostly need to do weight bearing walking as my spine developed osteoporosis this year with prolonged sitting. We are hoping to make a trip to either the Outer Banks NC or Tybee Island GA in April providing I am walking and can endure the drive. We also have a community arthritis hot pool about 30 minutes from us that once my incision is fully healed I will return to. Like you the pain of dressing is main deterrent. Maybe we can encourage one another. Lots of reading I have done says muscles need exercise to heal properly with cross bands of healthy muscle. Still healing for 3 years. I find that encouraging as we can gently nudge healing along.

@Debru4 shot was for trochanteric bursitis, I think it's starting to kick in and have been icing, especially when I lay down for the night.

@Elf1......what causes that? I have heard many people develop it after their replacement--what does it feel like? I recall that Josephine used to mention it as a possible cause when folks commented on pain. Where do they give you the actual injection?

@Fit4Family .....I have never heard of a Community Arthritic Hot Pool---is that a common thing? Although I am so lazy I doubt I'd be able to motivate myself to drive 30 minutes to use one. But I love the idea. And lucky you....The Outer Banks are one of my favorite areas...have only been there once, but hope to go again.

Things are so interconnected in our bodies, and trauma or wearing on one part can affect so many other areas. I think that is one of the most challenging, and sometimes frustrating things for me as I am getting older. It isn't realistic to envision a totally pain free, stress free life while aging, and think the key is to be as proactive and well educated as possible. And to be flexible and recognize that the benefits of getting older in terms of experience and having so many loved ones are far greater than the annoying aches and pains. Easy to say when the pains are manageable, and merely nagging, and not debilitating though! Years ago, a hot tub was a dream....a goal. Now that I'm older and on my own, I don't think it's a manageable prospect; hence my baths. If I could afford it, and had the space, I'd love one of those huge jacuzzi type tubs ---maybe in my next lifetime. :heehee: Fortunately I've always been able, even in the midst of my worst pain, to get in and out of the tub, and enjoy my baths! That's another interesting thing---how varied our recoveries are. I was getting up and down off the floor at 3 weeks when I started watching my infant granddaughter one day a week. And yet standing up after 30 minutes sitting was a painful effort. Keep us posted on your progress!

@FCBayern ---Well, parts of getting old aren't so fun----the increasing aches and pains and who is that person I see when I look in the mirror because she sure isn't who I feel like in my head and heart part. But the research shows that most people become happier and more content as they age, and i tend to feel that way myself! And yes, it does beat the alternative!

Very true @Debru4 Things are so interconnected. Amazing you could get down on the floor in 3 weeks! I wasn’t able to the last surgery unless I used something near by to push off of. Guessing with dislocation risk won’t try until at least 3 months.

No, community arthritis pool is not normal thing here either. It’s a part of a larger center with other pools. We have to pay to use as it is only for residents. I look at it as an inexpensive spa. For 10 dollar entry I can walk or float as long as I like. Average age of people there is late 70’s. Nice to connect with people I wouldn’t normally know. Outer Banks is so peaceful. We are about 4 hours away, which might be doable.

Its my 11 month anniversary of my hip replacement today! I was hesitant to write as I feel badly I am not on here more often. I remember being on many times a day and now its about once a week. I don't often say anything but do in spurts. Please know that I am rooting for all of you. My recovery seems that it was slow but that is ok with me. I still have tingling or numbness or something in my upper thigh that comes and goes daily but I can live with that. Hopefully it will go away eventually. No pain though and I barely would know I had the surgery. For those of you who don't know I did develop acute and severe knee pain in the non operated leg about 3 months after surgery when I started back in the pool. It has taken so long to heal as its arthritis but not bone on bone. I saw the OS right away but haven't been back. I still go to PT but only once a week now and we mostly do exercises in their gym. I miss the manual treatment as that was like a massage but this is working. I also joined WW and am losing weight so all in all I feel very good. The knee pain has improved slowly but in the last week another big jump happened and I only take a tyenlol every 2-3 days instead of a few weeks ago 3 per day. So I'll see what happens. Loving retirement (July 16th that happened). We had planned to resume winter travelling as I thought my pain would be ok but it wasn't possible this winter. So hoping for a big trip in the fall. My goal now is to keep moving which is hard for me in the rainy winter. Ok that's my update. Sorry its so long. Good luck to all of you and wishing you a speedy healthy recovery.
Cheers!
Leslie

Hi @lotusbuds
Great to see your update.:loveshwr:
I don't like the rainy weather either and hope this will be a short winter.:unsure:
Spring always renews my spirit and I saw myself get stronger with fewer recovery niggles at well over a year post op.
All the best for you for 2020...:tada:

Wonderful update @lotusbuds

Really good to hear that your knee is improving and that you don’t feel the need for medication as often. Your travel plans sound great. Hoping you continue to see improvements and that your retirement brings you many new adventures. I am with you on rain. Harder to motivate on getting outside. Thank you for sharing how you are coming along. Very encouraging to hear. ❤️

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back