THR lotusbuds' recovery thread

Looks like many of us were happy to see you pop up @lotusbuds Loved your story of climbing to the other side of your car. Pretty remarkable. Hope you are continuing to improve. Enjoyed sharing the journey with you. Sending you warm wishes for the holidays and many days when you forget your hip. xxx ❤️

How are you @Debru4! I read a lot but don't comment like I used to. How are you doing? I too wonder what happened to @Carriemay60. She was so helpful to me as were others yourself included during my recovery and with all my fears ahead of time. I hope she is doing well. I miss her. My hip is great and the numbness and swelling although still there at times has greatly reduced. My other knee on non operated leg which has bothered me so much and was so painful still is an issue but each week its less so its improved so much. I don't know if I will ever be painfree from it. I don't want surgery and no one has said I need it but it does limit my mobility. I am walking without a cane but have it close by. its an up and down thing but mostly good. That is this week...hoping it continues. Still going to PT but down to once a week.
Sorry to hear about your knee but great its not arthritis. I had a meniscus tear which was quite bad from a fall in 2016 and it has completely healed on its own. So great you were gardening and hiking..stay warm this winter its so cold in Colorado. Good to have a rest for those knees. Happy Holidays and thanks for thinking of me. PS I go back to Feldenkrais classes mid January. Its been good to have a break from it. I do swim but only once a week now due to laziness. Walking is hard though so have to spend more time doing that but it hurts my knee still. Take good care!

@Fit4Family I will be thinking of you on the 27th! and hoping it all goes extremely smoothly with ease. I am sorry you have to have a revision. Have a good holiday season. Yes I think of her and how she had us all laughing a lot. Take good care and good luck!

It's nice to read an update from you @lotusbuds
I see you just passed your nine month anniversary and it does seem you've made good progress. Still time for improvement though as it can take a full year, even longer for some. I'm sorry your knee has hampered your recovery somewhat, thankfully you don't need it replaced and it's improving. It will be interesting to see if Carriemay60 responds with an update as she's been tagged a couple of times now. She was a hoot and it seems we do tend to hold a special place in our hearts for our recovery buds, I know I do.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas, only 12 days away now and also a Happy New Year if we don't hear from you before then.
Have a wonderful weekend!

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon: :happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:

@Layla So glad to hear there is still room for improvement! I do get some numbness and swelling on my upper thigh daily but I am used to it and it does seem to be less. I have been seeing a new PT as mine took some time off and she seems to focus more on exercises. but not with machines other than the stationary recumbent bike. Its for my knee and is helping. One is using the leg press machine which I really like. Months ago I wouldn't go near one of these. It was easy to get into it even though its very low but I had a panic attack getting out and was almost in tears. In bed I just roll over or sit right up but this was just hard as your knees were up against this machine. I finally put them down but still couldn't do it. I just couldn't in my mind figure out how to do it and was afraid it would hurt my hip. She is very kind and was right there with me but I just was full of fear and kept trying but couldn't do it at first. Finally I just did it. I realized how strong my hip is and I guess I thought I might hurt it but tried it again as I liked the feeling of the machine and my knees and the pain was minimal the next day. So yet again another achievement I never thought I could do.
I suppose if my knee becomes unbearable I will have to go back and see what is going on but for now I seem to be improving though with some setbacks that aren't too bad when I look back at the pain I used to have. Mobility is so important and I am grateful for the hip surgery so so much but I did think I'd not have to worry about my 'good knees'. I recently retired (in July) and wanted to travel this winter to Ecuador and Columbia but we are putting it off as it just isn't the right time for me yet.
Thanks for listening. I am so grateful to each and every one of you.
I wish you Layla and everyone else all good things for 2020 and a Wonderful Holiday season and New Year!
Good luck to everyone starting on your healing journey. It only gets better even if it doesn't seem that way.
Cheers!

Thanks for updating @lotusbuds it seems you're doing well. Keep plugging away at the steady pace you have been and I'm sure you'll continue to see progress. I'm sorry about your knee. Hopefully whatever is going on will ease rather than become something you need to address.
Wishing you a lovely weekend!

Happy Birthday Leslie!! Hope you have a wonderful year. ❤️

B294E42A-5B32-4C74-A2B9-B8B09A09722B.jpeg

Well Happy Birthday!

Hi Leslie---I just saw your note to me from December 12. I'm not sure why I didn't get the usual email notification that someone had tagged me. But I'm glad I saw it, and wanted to respond.

I can tell something is still not right behind my left knee, but it is much better with my reduced kneeling and activity level. I am glad to hear that your meniscus tear healed its own, and hope that mine will too. Another friend said she had a repair to hers a long time ago and it was not that difficult of a surgery. Of course, as you and I both know recovery from any type of surgery can be so unpredictable, and like you with your knee, I also hope to avoid a surgery.

I looked into Feldenkrais after you mentioned it. There are a couple of places in Boulder and Fort Collins I found that offer classes, but they are through private fitness centers/studios and really pricey. ( And 40-60 minutes from where I live.) One of my goals after the holidays is to come up with a couple of classes/activities I can do without overdoing in order to build my fitness back up. I still plan to see if there are other options for Feldenkrais---do you know if it goes by any other name? Do you live in a large city? The area I am in is typically very with it in terms of fitness options so I keep thinking I just be missing something.:chinstroke:

Your anxiety attack over the exercise equipment at PT sounds really rough. So glad you made it through it, and your therapist proved to be a helpful, empathetic person! There is nothing worse than a full blown anxiety attack. I am not prone to them but have had a couple in my life and it's really hard to describe to others how awful you feel in the midst of one. I sure hope your therapy continues to help you with your knee. And also, remember that sometimes just backing off, doing the ice, rest, and acetaminophen treatment can help settle things down.

Do you take any supplements? Since I'm unable to take NSAIDS, I have found supplements with turmeric/curcumin, glucosamine, and magnesium to be especially helpful in reducing pain and inflammation.

I hope your birthday, and your Christmas were both very jolly!

@Debru4 glad to hear with your reduced activity and less kneeling that your knee is feeling somewhat better. I hear a lot of meniscus tears heal on their own and those that have surgery also say its not so bad and helps. So lets hope you don't need surgery just time.
I live outside Seattle about 30 minutes but when traffic is bad it can be longer. So if I take classes or work out or swim I choose closer to home. For years I was looking for Feldenkrais classes but they were mostly in Seattle and were very expensive. So I was happy to find this class which is only offered one day a week at one time by a woman who I like and she only charges $12 a class. They are about a little over an hour. It is held at the swimming club I used to belong to and she does belong to so that may be why the cost is so little. I really liked it the first few sessions but a couple of them I was bored or it hurt so I didn't do much. I have to get down on the floor and up but I did master it by the end. It starts up again mid January and as you only pay as you go I am going to go back to see how it goes. Its also called Awareness through Movement if that helps. You may find videos at your library or online. Good luck!
I used to take MSM, turmeric/cucumin and glucosamine and magnesium but stopped. I still have lots of it so will try again. thanks for the push to do it. I haven't been in the pool much and that is stupid as I get so stiff without it. I go once a week but need to up it to 3 times. Still going to PT but now once a week and I love doing the leg press machine and bike and some of the other things but in general on one hand I am improving and sometimes not at all. I need to weight bear more and walk but that is an issue so that is my goal to improve that. The anxiety attack wasn't full blown but I was almost in tears. Now I can use that machine and its easy to get in and out.
Thanks for your ongoing support. Good luck and keep us posted! Hope you find something as Boulder must have lots of options.
Hope you had a good Christmas and take good care.
Leslie

Keep up with the swimming g. I haven’t gone this week and really noticed the difference. Usually doing 2-3 times a week and I feel sluggish if I don’t do it. Glad the new PT is working out. Happy new year!

I love being active and puttering, but sadly, I really don't enjoy "exercising" formally that much. When I went to PT I liked riding the NordicTrack bike. But I don't see myself buying one for home, and simply don't like to jump in the car and drive somewhere to exercise or use equipment. If I can walk out my front door and take a walk it feels more natural, but I do think I need to mix it up more. It is a battle I promised myself I would deal with this winter, and so I need to get on it! If I'm not careful, I will have procrastinated and be back to spring and summer. :loll:

Curious how long your hip had been bothering you before surgery? Do you have pain when you bear weight or just discomfort? I think you might find those supplements helpful and will be curious if you notice a change when you resume them.

I envy you and @SurreyGirl looking forward to swimming. The only time I enjoy swimming is if the pool is super heated, OR it's summer and super hot outside so the pool feels refreshing. I used to take water aerobics and water walking classes, and while the movements felt good, I couldn't stand being in a cold pool, and then getting out of it. I think I am an exercise wimp, which is funny because in general I am a pretty "scrappy" soul, but it seems I am whining a lot about exercise, doesn't it?!?! :heehee: My main forays into the water come in the form of a hot bath (either bubble, or epsom salt) every night.

Happy New Year---Debbie

Happy New Year Both! I lapsed over Christmas week but getting g back to it today. Driving to the club is the hardest part on dark cold evenings but I usually enjoy it when I get there. Water temperature can be variable!

Happy New Year everyone! @Debru4 @SurreyGirl thanks for your comments. I am attempting to get to swim 2-3 times a week but its an effort. Not a long drive at all (6-10 minutes) but just the cold winters make it more difficult to get there in my mind only. I know besides how good it is in general it is good for lubricating our muscles and joints as my PT always says.
Debru4 I waited over 2 years before I had my hip surgery. 2 years of progressive pain that I kept thinking would get better. Fear of surgery and fear of recovery held me back. The last 3 months the pain was very bad even trying to sleep. So glad I did it finally! Its 10 months ago today.
Surrey girl I swim in the mornings or early afternoon. I applaud you for going in the evening.
Debbie I too love the hot tub. We just got a new one and after not using one for over a year I am looking forward to the stretches and leg movements I did in it. Hoping that will take away the stiffness I feel each morning.
One day at a time...
Leslie

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562