THR lotusbuds' recovery thread

@Layla Thank you for saying hello! I'm at 7 months post surgery and it feels like a long time ago and then again not so long at all. I come on to the forum less now as you can see but do read a few posts every few days. My hip is doing well. Still a bit of upper thigh swelling but so much better. My knee is so slow in healing. It seems that every 2-3 weeks I see progress if I look back. I do know in the summer when I was swimming 5 days a week most weeks it really was pretty good. Everyone tells me I have to lubricate it daily or it will hurt. That's arthritis I guess. I am trying to avoid surgery and its not bone on bone so strengthening it is the goal. Still doing PT and doing less exercise but that is because the weather changed and its getting cold so I don't have a new rhythm yet. Need to push myself more to get in the pool. I did buy some new trekking poles that are really helpful and don't hurt my knee as much. They are called Komperdell and are 'Antishock poles'. I have a walking stick antishock by this company and the trekking poles. I found my Leki poles are good but my knee was hurting so these are less stress on my knees. not sure how to describe it. I can walk without a stick but usually have it with me most of the time. I am so grateful to this forum and love the new upgrade.
Hope you are well Layla and all my forum friends new and old. I wonder where a couple have gone to but that must mean they are doing well.
Take good care

Hi again! It's nice to read about your progress. You seem to be doing really well. At only seven months post op there is still room for improvement. Promising! Hopefully you get back into the pool soon since I know it's your preferred way to exercise. I'm sorry you continue to struggle with knee issues.

Everyone tells me I have to lubricate it daily or it will hurt.

Motion is lotion. :yes:

I wonder where a couple have gone to but that must mean they are doing well.

I think that's a good assumption...back living life. That's the goal afterall.

Thanks for updating, it was nice to hear from you. I hope you have a lovely Autumn!
@lotusbuds

@Layla Its good to hear that I still have a ways to go. I feel there is room for improvement on the hip but it doesn't hurt if I don't overdo it and its like a miracle how good it feels compared to before surgery. How are you doing?
Now if my knee would be better I'd be very happy. I have concerns I won't be able to travel and we wanted to do some trips in the new year. So I am forcing myself to take walks with the trekking poles as I don't seem to do enough weight bearing exercises. I love what you say above...Motion is lotion...

I'm doing well, so thoughtful of you to ask. Thank you. :)
I hope your knee doesn't keep you from travel plans in the new year.
Enjoy your walks with the trekking poles. There are health benefits even if it doesn't help your knee, so nothing lost but lots to gain.
Stay in touch and have a lovely Autumn!
@lotusbuds

Happy Saturday @lotusbuds Just thinking about you and wondering how you are getting along now?

Hope you are feeling more like yourself. I am still using trekking polls you recommended. ❤️ Still not there yet but making a little progress each month. Sending wishes for a happy, healthy Fall. :mooncat:

@Fit4Family @Hoppy Nanny thank you so much for your kindness and thinking of me. I am so sorry I haven't been on here lately. every day I think I am going to sit down and catch up or just start from today's posts and then I check on my old 'buddies' and then the time is gone and I haven't posted.
I am good. I had a touch of flu and stopped exercising. The sickness is long gone but I have basically been a sloth for 3 weeks. Funny thing is my knee pain started improving to the point I now can walk in the house without the cane more than before.
Down to one Tylenol a day from 3. So am seeing it is slowly getting better.
Its been 8 months since Hip replacement on November 1 and 5 months since the opposite knee started hurting.
I still go to PT twice a week.
I am loving the Feldenkrais classes. Nothing profound but when you get up off the mat you feel the difference. It was only 7 classes and the next is in the New Year so will start chair yoga in the middle to see if I like that.
Starting back swimming on Monday for sure.
I seem to take a long time to heal and the PT moved my knee to test something and I had pain for a week. It finally seems to have calmed down.
I feel hopeful for a complete recovery on that knee but you never know.
How are each of you? I will look on your posts today. I am glad you are walking with the trekking poles. My goal was to go to 10-15 minutes a day max and build up from there. Hope I get back into it. Its hard as its so dark, wet and rainy here in the Pacific NW.
Have a great weekend everyone!

Hello and Happy Saturday @lotusbuds
Sorry to read you had the flu, thankfully you're better. Sometimes it takes a bit to recover after being knocked down.
It's great you've been able to decrease the Tylenol and walk around unassisted more frequently. Positive steps in the right direction.
I know you've mentioned Feldenkrais before and I've yet to look it up, I need to do that for a better understanding. Good to read it's helping you. I know another member (luvsibes) you may remember her, taught chair yoga and seemed to really like it.
I'm sure you're anxious to jump back into swimming, I know you love your pool time. I hope you stay in touch and continue to notice progress albeit big, or small, it's a step in the right direction.
Have a great weekend!

Nice to hear from you @Layla and thank you.
I am so slow in my recovery but I do see the difference.
I don't think its one thing but the best has been PT and the hands on 'massaging and stretching tight muscles' and the swimming.
I am getting a shingles shot next week and have heard they can knock you out for a day so am prepared but hope to get a couple swims in. Hope you are well. How are you?
Have a good weekend too!

Hi @lotusbuds Ugh, you've had the flu already? I dread this time of year for that reason. You have reminded me that I intended to get my flu shot this weekend.
I had both of the shingles injections , after listening to several people who reacted as you said, I found that they got the second one at around 2 months. I waited closer to the 5 months mark and gladly didn't have a reaction at all. Just a sore arm and felt tired for a few days. I hope you have the same results.
Glad to hear you liked the Feldenkrais. I love bodywork techniques. I should look around for that class here in my area.
Have a good night and remainder of your weekend.

Last edited:
So sorry you had the flu @lotusbuds What a bummer! Will have to read up on Feldenkrais. That’s a new one to me.

I have not been able to ditch the cane yet, so kudos that you are making steady progress. Down to one Tylenol is excellent too! Two things I have added this week are stair planks and stair crawling. I can’t get off ground yet without help, so Im trying to build up my core with planks, and the stair crawling is great for flexibility and strength as I can use both legs. Hope you can get back in the pool and do some yoga. I am pushing myself daily as I want to leave my assistance device behind. It’s done a real number on my right hand and elbow. Glad you checked in. Understand moving on, I’ve been back checking on HoppyNanny. Truly only place that has any idea what we’ve been through. Hope you feel better soon! ❤️

I'm well @lotusbuds thank you for asking!
You're headed in the right direction, noticing progress. You will get there.
I hope you don't have a strong reaction to the shingles shot and are able to squeeze in your swim time this week and enjoy some time outdoors.
Have a great week!

@CricketHip I didn't really have the flu just the beginning of something and its gone now thanks. I'm going to get the shingles shot at the end of the week. Trying to get both of them this year as its free and will cost me more next year. Not looking forward to them but maybe I will have no side effects. Think positively.
Check out the Feldenkrais is there are classes near you. Its a subtle method but effective. Not sure if its helping my knee as they work on different body parts each class but it is helping with how I move.
@Fit4Family I agree its the only place here that people really know what we are going through. Tell me more about the stair planks. We don't have stairs except one to the deck to get to the house which is taller than standard but interested. Good luck. Its slow but steady. I still use the cane a lot but more without and I can't believe it. Some days I need 3 tylenlol but mostly 1. Hope we get aid free one of these days.
@Layla Haven't left the house in 2 days. Doing paperwork inside. Its been pouring 24 hours a day for the last 3 days. On my way to PT now. Swimming starts Thursday as I put it off due to other commitments. Slow but steady is my slogan. Thanks for all your support.
@HoppyNanny thinking of you and hope its going well.

@lotusbuds Glad it wasn't the flu, I got my flu shot last weekend.. glad for the extra help where ever I can get it. :)

I will search around for a class, interestingly I know about Feldenkrais, but I only have known it as a bodywork modality with a practitioner working on you. What you are going to sounds effective and rather nice.
You are one of the peeps on here that got me interested in using my trekking poles for my recovery, the more I use them the more I love them!

Good Morning @lotusbuds
It's crappy weather here also. Wet, rainy, blustery. A good day to stay indoors and get caught up on my domestic engineer responsibilities. :heehee: Clean a few toilets, do some vacuuming and dusting, you know...that kind of fun stuff :sigh:
I'll venture out to the grocery store to get the ingredients for home-made soup since it's the perfect day for that. I hope you're enjoying your PT and they're not pushing, but working with you. I'm sure you'll love getting back in the pool on Thursday. Slow and steady, as you say, you'll get there. :walking:
A great Tuesday to you. :)

Glad you're going to get back to the pool, I know you really enjoy that. And, it reminds me I need to do the same. So easy to get caught up with the day to day stuff around the house. Hoping your rain stops soon and you get some sunshine to brighten the day. :swim::SUNsmile:

Good Morning @lotusbuds

Hope your rain has cleared. I don’t know if I’d want to do stair planks outside. I still have difficulty getting on and off ground without pushing off a table.

So I stand with feet apart about 12 inches, lean up on our carpeted stairs with my arms extended. Exactly like floor plank but holding myself over stairs. Worked up to 60 seconds. At first I could barely do 15 seconds. My abs really got weak with all my leaning and sitting last year. They are starting to rebound. :)

Hopeful to hear you are walking without cane!!! PT has me walk unassisted every visit to study progress. Gluteous minimus is still too weak to hold hips steady. Slow recovery to be sure. :flabber: But better than I was this time last year. Lol. At least I am standing!

Hope pool brings you closer to where you want to be. ❤️

@Fit4Family Thanks! I haven't been in the pool much lately and blame it on feeling a bit run down. I feel what it is doing to my body not lubricating that knee and hip so plan to go back Friday. Hopefully it will happen. I went the whole day without the cane yesterday in the house but by the end of the day my knee was not good. I ended up taking 3 Tylenol but still thats only once in awhile so I am not being hard on myself.
I understand now how you do the plank on the stairs. I like that. I'll do it next time I'm at someone's house with stairs to practice. I suppose one could do it on the wall too but not get such a good stretch?
I need a strong chair that won't move to get up and down off the floor. I do it for the Feldenkrais class and its getting better but still awkward.
I think its wonderful you can do it even with assist of the table. That sounds good to me. Yes look how far you/we have come.
I hear we are having sun tomorrow so will be out and about for a walk which is my least favorite thing to do these days. Though once I get going I love being out in nature again. What a long struggle this has been.
Have a great day!

@CricketHip What kind of trekking poles do you have? How is it going with them?
I mostly saw Feldenkrais private sessions when I was first looking and they are pricy. Keep looking for a class as they are cheaper and very good.
Keep me posted.
My last class of 7 sessions ends this Friday and doesn't start again until January. I will continue when it restarts. The funny thing is its held at a swimming sports club I belonged to for years and just quit last year.

Good Morning,
I hope the sun is shining brightly today as predicted and you're able to get out for a nature walk. Fingers crossed your knee doesn't hold you back. With any luck it's behaving today.
Have a wonderful Thursday!
@lotusbuds

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks