THR lotusbuds' recovery thread

Thank you @lotusbuds I live in Virginia. We do have beautiful leaves, but it’s the south to me. I love your area of the country. I lived in Colorado for a number of years. The heat here still gets to me, so I’m a much more dedicated walker in the Fall and Spring. Enjoy your day!

@lotusbuds :wave:Hi, a little late here, but congratulations on your retirement....hope you are coming along fine with your new hip. ❤

@Cecropia Thank you so much! I am so happy and can't stop smiling every day now that I am retired! Had 2 parties held for me and the last one was last night so I really am totally done now. My hip is very good though its still swelling but I ice a lot and elevate once a day. Its 4 months on Friday. My right knee which was my good knee is finally calming down and about 90% better. Enough I am finally walking without a cane part of the day. I'm working hard on it but not overdoing it. Thanks for asking. Hope you are doing really well!

Smiling ear to ear! Just love that @lotusbuds
So very pleased for you ... Chrissie x[emoji3590][emoji8]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:hi:
So good to see things are improving!
You can click on a member's avatar, then profile page, then information, then find all threads by..

Hope you have a good day!:flwrysmile:

Hi @lotusbuds I have the same trouble with finding threads. I’m doing pretty well. Sweet of you to ask. Walking more at home without my cane and working with PT on building back the muscle lost while I was healing. Grateful for the progress so far. A bit to go, but I am trying to be positive and patient with it all. Enjoy your weekend. ❤️

@Layla Thank you! Hard to believe its my 4 month anniversary! I am still icing a lot and elevate once a day to reduce swelling which is happening less often. My other knee has improved but still stiff and I constantly feel it. I am able to walk a bit without the cane the last week so that is an improvement. I realize I need to exercise almost every day doing something even if only 10 minutes to 'lubricate' that knee or it gets worse.
I would have never have survived without this forum and all the kind people on here. Sometimes I do feel bad I am not writing on here as much as I did. I want to give back as much as I can as it helped me so much.
Thanks for the article. I will use it.
Hope you are doing well! Have a great week and 4th!

Happy Five Month Anniversary!
I hope all is well. I'll bet you're enjoying the Summer and hopefully doing some new and exciting things.
Understandably your back living life, after all that's the goal. Leave a quick update next time you drop by.
All the best to you!
@lotusbuds

Back living.... YES!!!! That’s why you had the surgery & great to hear...

I’m with you on the knee situation... it gets so stiff & needs walking out! I take a wheelchair when I do long walks... just to keep me up straight & heel toe.. & I enjoy the walk.... so I discount all the comments from people that think it’s not right!!! It’s MY right [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]Turning into a rebel in my old age @lotusbuds.

lovely to hear from you.. take care hun.. hugs .. Chrissie xx[emoji3590][emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Layla @Hoppy Nanny Can't believe its been 5 months! My hip update is my hip is doing pretty well. I feel it sometimes but not like when I overdid it and my groin hurt. Now its if I over do it I feel muscles in my hip hurt but they go away if I ice or wait. I do still have swelling a lot in my upper thigh and feet. Less but its annoying and feels awful sometimes. I did buy some new sandals on sale today that are amazing so far. I saw them on the forum for someone with feet issues. I had never heard of them and am constantly buying and returning slippers or sandals. I have good shoes but these sandals are cool and so supportive. The footbed is so good. The brand is abeo and I got them at the Walking Company. Didn't do it online as I usually do but went in. I got the Goleta and Gabi as there is a sale on now.
My struggle with my knee on my good leg is ongoing but it is getting stronger and most days I walk most of the day with out a cane. I do some form of exercise 5 days a week and without that I don't know if it would be improving. Sometimes its on the recumbent bike and I am only up to 18 minutes but that is good or me. I swim 3 days 20 minutes non stop and then do 30 minutes water aerobics deep end but kind of lame. I use a pull buoy to support me and use my legs in a limited way so its mostly my arms but my legs do get stretched. I hurt myself in May and then my knee got so painful so am being careful. I also try to walk one day with the trekking poles but have to push myself although I know its the best.
So thats me...I am not on as much but do read a lot on here.
Love you all and am so grateful. I wish all of you well who are just starting. Know that it takes time but I found looking back week by week instead of daily works best. I still do. I look back a week in terms of my knee and can't believe how much more mobility I have. Still aways to go. Yes I am sick of this as its so slow but its working...

Have a wonderful weekend.

Last edited:
:wave: Thanks for the update @lotusbuds
It was nice to hear from you. It sounds like your recovery is moving along. It's good you found some new comfy shoes with great support. Check in once in awhile and share your progress.
Enjoy the rest of the Summer! :SUNsmile:

Hi @lotusbuds

Wonderful 5 month update!! So happy you are making progress. Really great news on all fronts. I am hoping to dip toes back in this week with recumbent bike and pool. I know for me, moving is so much better than any sitting. The earlier I get going the better. I remember when you got hurt in May. Glad you are back on track.

Funny, I just bought same brand of sandals. Feet are so happy! I was mostly wearing my trainers so the coolness of cork is life changing! Happy to read your updates!! Hope things continue to improve. ❤️

6 month update
I can hardly believe I am 6 months out today! My OS said once I hit 9 months I won't even know I had the surgery. Well something has shifted in the last couple weeks and I feel my body has gotten used to my new hip as I have. I still have swelling in my upper thigh and some numbness with it but much less often and when it comes (randomly daily for no rhyme or reason) it is smaller than it was. My hip is doing fantastic and I am so happy with it.
Some of you know that mid May I hurt my 'good' knee on my non operated leg that had never given me any pain before. I couldn't weight bear and had been a few days without my cane recovering well from my hip and bingo acute pain! I was devastated, freaked out, not ready for more surgery, imagining the worst case scenario, etc. I got into my OS in 3 days and he xrayed both knees saying I have arthritis in both. I can't remember everything he said but he did say one part was not good but no bone on bone so no need for surgery. He said it would calm down, gave me a shot and Meloxicam for 2 weeks. Well the shot and pills did not work. I continued on with my PT but it switched over to my knee. So this has been a huge setback for me this summer. I swim 3-4 days a week, I was doing water aerobics in a class deep end after the swim, I started using a recumbent bike 1-2 times a week and sometimes walk with trekking poles but otherwise with my cane which is actually now a Leki walking stick. I need to walk more to do more weight bearing. Long story short I get stiff from the arthritis and have been very worried about my recovery long term. Lo and behold the last week I am not not using the cane/walking stick and feel a huge change and much less pain in my knee. I would say its improved 90% and although I still feel it I am confident it will be fine within a short while. I am very hopeful due to this last week of improvement. I was wondering a lot about it daily and stopped the water aerobics a week ago to see if that helped and it did...I was getting pain in my hip too but mostly just muscles from the exercise.
I will keep you all posted on my knee as I really can't imagine more surgery at this time. I need a break after 3 years of misery. I am fully retired since June 17th and loving it and loving my mobility and recovery!
Hang in there all the people who have just had surgery and know that it just gets better and better. For me it was slower than others (likely due to being overweight in my opinion). I had lost 34 lbs before surgery which helped but really need to lose another 30-40 or more so am back on Weight Watchers which works for me.
Have a wonderful weekend and thank you for listening and the support from this wonderful forum!

Last edited:
Hi @lotusbuds
Happy Six Month Anniversary!
Thanks for stopping by and updating. I'm sorry to read about your knee and how it's seemingly hampered your recovery somewhat. Hopefully you're able to hold off on knee surgery for a good long time. It's great to hear that you're enjoying your new hip, mobility and retirement! At only six months post op there is still room for improvement, something to look forward to. I wish you the best as you continue the journey. Stop by and update again some time, we'll look forward to hearing from you. Have a great week!

@Layla Thanks! I'll try to keep my updates shorter. Darn arthritis..today my knee hurts but hoping the pool time will lubricate it somewhat. I hope to put off knee surgery forever or at least a few years. I am glad to hear there is still more improvement on hip after 6 months and look forward to it. But I am happy with it for sure as it is.
Enjoy the long weekend those of you in North America!

Hi @lotusbuds
Wondering how you're doing theses days? Hopefully your knee is behaving.
Leave us an update when you have time.
A great week to you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie