THR lotusbuds' recovery thread

:goodpost:
So glad to hear this.
Happy dance for you @lotusbuds :happyfeet:

Last edited:
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Wishing you a wonderful weekend and continued healing.
@lotusbuds

@Layla thank you so much!
Well I got back last night from my trip to Edmonton and although a challenge it was great! First trip since my surgery March 1 and my hip gave me no problem whatsoever. I took 2 ice packs and rotated them and iced 4-5 times a day as I was able to and this included the nighttime as there was a freezer in my room so that was even easier. Here I was away from my home and all my things (raised toilet seat, rollator for when it too much pain, etc) and I did it. My main concern had been my good knee which had improved a lot but still wasn't great. Both times at the airport I had a wheelchair so that was great. They let me off at the bathroom if I needed it and at the gate so I highly recommend that. The sitting before the flight was the hardest as once on the plane it was easier. I had an aisle and stood up a few times to stretch. I walked on and off the plane with my cane.
At my cousin's house her toilet was not only lower than standard but the lowest I have ever seen. I am not kidding. But what to do I had to use it and actually could do it without pain. That was a huge challenge. I didn't use her shower but her apartment had a workout room with a walk in shower. It was only Luke warm water mostly cold and barely any came out but it did the trick. I did not swim though my cousin went twice as I really was being protective of my knee.
Each day it got better and I even walked a few steps without my cane the way I did without thinking with my hip.
Miracle of miracles. I went to the cemetery thinking I would have to stay in the car but my cousin's grave was right where you parked so it was easy. It was a memorial at her gravesite. I got a ride with another cousin whose car was low and there was not problem there either. It all was a challenge but I had no pain doing these things or after. I only took minimum painkillers too (Tylenol) so was pleased. I would say all in all my knee is still sore and painful but almost 75%- 80 better. This morning I am going back to the pool to see what I can do to get back into it without hurting myself.
The plane coming home was delayed 2 hours. I didn't know till I got to the airport. Now that was a challenge. I went to have lunch and the waitress and I were talking about hip surgery and she said her father had had one. I asked her if she happened to have ice and she brought me a huge bag (double bagged)! the kindness of that simple act almost brought me to tears. It lasted an hour and really helped the swelling I still get in my hip. After it melted I went back and got another one. I was struggling walking to the bathrooms which were far from the gate but all in all I did really well. Today I am stiff but better than when I took off on Friday.
So let the healing continue...
Hope everyone else is doing ok. I have not had a chance to read the forum so hope to catch up later today.
Cheers everyone! and all of you in the beginning process of recovery know that a whole new world is out there for you...just takes time and patience. I have learned one day at a time and even one minute, hour at a time is my new motto.

Hi @lotusbuds
Thanks for the update. It sounds like you had a nice get-away. A little vacay is always a welcome change. It seems you handled the flight well which is encouraging. You also mastered using the toilet without the riser. That's a milestone and sounds like something you can say goodbye to, if you're still using it at home. It feels so good to discard those Recovery articles / assistive devices one by one. I know it made me happy.
I hope your knee pain continues to ease and you're able to get back to the pool this week.
Happy Wednesday!

I think you mr motto should be pinned as a post here. So true..

Can’t wait to see how you progress once you are back in the pool! Very happy to hear about your recent trip. I am finding it amazing as all the stiffness I had is mostly gone and I put this down to swimming regularly. It took a while to get there but loving it... and the pain in my good knee is minimal now....

For what it is worth I still have icepacks on standby and will use them if I need to rather than drugs. I will certainly take them on my next holiday. Also, even 10 months out, if going for a long walk will have the Leki on standby as still concerned about overdoing it.

@Layla I won't be giving up my raised toilet seat or wooden ramp outside for quite awhile. The toilet was so low I can't describe it. Our regular one is not standard and is low and this was even lower. It was like doing squats so I likely got a good stretch and I go a lot...ha ha. Today I went to the pool and was extremely careful. Felt great but I was so sore after. My knee was not happy but I had a PT session and now it feels better. One interesting thing is I took an oxycontin (rare for me) when I knew I had the busy day at the cemetery and afterwards and it did nothing for my pain. Its almost like only tylenol and ice worked. funny that. I iced more than ever on that trip and am continuing to do it at home. Heating pad on knee at night ice on hip and ice during the day on knee as well. I will see how my knee feels tomorrow to make sure I didn't hurt it more today. I do feel much better though if I look back a week and even when I left here on Friday. Miracle of miracles...so glad to hear how you are doing @SurreyGirl and that the pool is helping you so much. I love the water so much that even just being in there walking around and a few laps was wonderful.
I think you mr motto should be pinned as a post here. So true..
not sure what you mean by this?
@Carriemay60 Thanks! I too hope the worst is over. I still have to read the forum and am hoping you are doing well. Please let me know. The smoke in Edmonton was very bad the first day I was there.
Thanks again!

I decided to start walking with my trekking poles as I am taking a week off of swimming and water aerobics. I was only doing a little of the wa with some laps but my knee hurt again after my Wednesday swim. I could still weight bear but it was concerning. Yesterday instead I did a short walk and today my knee feels better. Still using the cane and its funny but my right hip where I had surgery is now my good leg. Ha Ha
Also interesting that as a preventative when on my short trip one day I took an oxycontin and one day a tramadol as I was going out and would be out and about a few hours. It didn't take the pain away at all. I wonder if this is because if you have only a little pain it doesn't work. Amazing to me as it was my main pain killer. I am happy to say I am down to 2 Tylenol twice a day and this is for my knee not my hip.
I am out 14 weeks and my hip is great!
Wishing everyone a great healing pain free or less pain weekend.

Hello @lotusbuds great to read your update and especially happy to hear your knee has not been giving you trouble. I am so grateful to you for mentioning the Trekking poles. I bought some a month or so ago and take them out 4 or more times a week on trails. I’m thankful for the confidence they give me on hills. Hope your knee continues to improve. My operated leg knee does complain when I overdo it. Low seating, too much stooping seem to aggravate mine. Sending wishes for continued healing! ❤️

Hi @loutusbuds
Sounds like you are doing well & your trip went well (all except the low toilet... they are horrendous ... )

You seem to be in exactly the same place as I am...
I find water walking very helpful for my hip but for me too it aggravates my opposite knee ...but like you I am babying the knee whilst my new hip is magnificent & never complains!!!

Paracetamol also seems to be the only effective pain killer for this type of pain...

Ahh well we can’t win it all... get rid of one pain just for the others to start!!!

Hoping your hip continues to support so well & your knee starts behaving all the time.

I’m looking into booking a holiday so glad to it helps to see when others are ok!!!

Take care & have a great weekend!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lotusbuds,
Tylenol may be a better pain reliever for you at this stage of recovery, consider taking as instructed on the bottle. Be sure to count all sources of Tylenol.

Thank you all! @Pumpkln yes I agree. It is the only thing working for me and that is fine. I still take 4 a day but was taking 6 for the last year. Soon I hope to go down to 2. I don't take it in any other form so that is good. It was a process of trying the other painkillers that worked so well for my hip and realizing they don't help now and this is the only thing working for me. Thank you for your comment.
@Hoppy Nanny that is amazing that your good knee is also affected in water aerobics. I am going to stop it and go back to doing laps next week but with a foamie thing between my legs so if it hurts to kick I won't use my legs. My PT suggested it. Forget what they are called. Babying the good knee and hip is doing so well...yes we both have that. Happy to hear it and hope your knee supports you too and you are having less pain. I still have it but it is getting better. Trips are a challenge. Being away from home and your comforts is hard but at the same time it was so good to have a change after all this being at home and recovery.
Hope you plan a lovely holiday.
@Fit4Family glad you are doing so well. I love my trekking poles as they keep me upright, no limp and there is barely any pain.
Thanks!

@Fit4Family I thought of you today. I have decided to use my trekking poles daily. I love walking on trails or in the woods or beach but I'm not a city walker. But...I need to start weight bearing and swimming and water aerobics seem to irritate my knee so I am taking a week off. I walked 15 minutes today with the poles and am going to do it daily till I can do more. I started at 8 minutes on Thursday. My knee is feeling so much better from it. I found a quiet road I drive to and just have landmarks. How have you been doing?

Hi @lotusbuds So glad to hear from you. Happy walking is bringing you relief from knee pain. I’m walking still with my poles. I enjoy the trails around us. Many are hilly and or have uneven surfaces. It helps my hand to get relief from the cane. I’m doing ok. Still struggling with swelling. Think if I could resolve that I could walk more. Hope you can continue to go further and further. I too drive and park. It’s been nice to have more places to walk than our neighborhood. ❤️

Thanks @Fit4Family. I walk on flat pavement for now but will do more and more. I went to a lake this morning at 9 and there were only a few people there. I walked 20 minutes. I couldn't believe it. My goal is more and more but happy with this as last week I only could do 7. I too have swelling in my operated upper thigh. It seems to happen more when I do to much so I ice it or lay down and elevate. My OS said it may be there for months. I do notice its much less though. What kind of poles do you have?

Good Morning @lotusbuds Wonderful that you’re making progress in your distance and time walking. I have SWIX ski walking poles. I bought them because they are one continuous piece. They are very comfortable. I generally walk two miles around a small lake. I don’t go by time as I stop and rest half way around lake. For me the swelling never completely goes down. OS said it’s related to tissue and ligament surgery and could be months before it’s gone. Standing and or sitting make it worse, so I keep moving if possible. Hope you continue to enjoy your walks. xx

Good morning @Fit4Family! I am impressed with your walks. 2 miles is awesome. What state do you live in?
I have Leki trekking poles and also Black Diamond which folds down small for travel. They aren't the best but I love my Leki's. I am using time instead of distance as it was so hard at first. My OS also told me the swelling will last a long time but it does disappear. Its there though in the mornings and when I do too much. Yes keeping moving is good isn't it? My neck hurts today as I was using my arms a lot on that walk yesterday as I had a lot of energy. I also think my energy level is better as I am down in my tyenlol intake.
Its super hot here and I am taking a day off but back at it tomorrow.
Best of luck to you!

Well folks later today is my retirement party! My last shift at work is Sunday and I am so excited. I haven't been working much the last year at all but this really feels good. I am determined to barely use my cane tonight. ha ha

Congratulations on you retirement! Hope you have a wonderful celebration. :loveshwr:

I live in VA. I was a daily walker prior to my fall. The arms are definitely an improvement with the poles. The first few days I really felt the work out. I will stick with it after my hip is healed as it reminds me of the workout from Nordic track years ago. Less time, more muscles used.

@Fit4Family Thanks for the retirement wishes. I will have done only 3 shifts since my surgery recovery and I see now pros and cons of doing this. I made a commitment and didn't want to just disappear so its been a wise choice for me. I was not much into walking pre se unless at the ocean or a park or the woods on a trail. Not city walking for exercise. I realize now I need to do it 5 times a week as I have to do more than swim and water aerobics. I used to bike ride too but stopped 3 years ago. I will do my 5 minutes of weights soon as my arms feel a bit better. I really feel that work out yesterday in my arms and neck but its improving now. I'm in WA state. Vermont sounds like a great state especially to see fall colors on the trees. Have a good day!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back