THR lotusbuds' recovery thread

i hope your knee is getting better. I also had some problems with my right knee and did some gentle stretching and even some exercises with elastic band whilst sitting! :yikes: But they did work and the swimming is now really helping. Hopefully "all" you did was twist it in Aerobics. Hopefully the ice will help. I was getting a lot of pain going downstairs with my knee but it is much better now. Fingers crossed for you!

Sorry to hear that one is still acting up.
Sending good mojo your way @lotusbuds

Thank you for the kind words...I was feeling teary when I got to OS office full of fears and worst case scenario's though I had calmed myself down the last 2 days. They took X-ray's and I have arthritis in the good knee. Its in one of the 3 areas and not severe, not bone on bone but a lot. No surgery was discussed at this point. He gave me a steroid shot and is putting me on Meloxicam once a day for a week to calm it down and hopefully put it in remission. He said there is nothing in particular I did. He said I have been doing the right thing in my healing, going swimming, icing, elevating, but as I start walking without the cane at times and as I do more and become more active there is more pressure on that knee. It has been supporting me for 3 years and was given a break during my recovery and then without being that strong from not doing much it got too much or something like that. I have taken Meloxicam for my hip and after a month stopped using it as it worked then didn't.
But I am relieved and will start tomorrow. I can add tyenlol if needed. Thank you all for your support and concern. It is such a bummer to have this setback. I am scheduled to fly out in 2 1/2 weeks to see my 4 cousins in their 80's ( who all swim or play tennis) as one cousin died last summer and its the memorial. He said to go and take it easy. I will use the wheelchair at the airport and take it easy while there. Its only an 90 minute flight to Edmonton and then the sitting at the airport. I can always cancel if its not the right time and go visit later this summer.
OK thats it folks. Going to bury myself in a movie now.
Thanks again!

Sorry to hear this. My right knee has some arthritis too but under control for now. I hope you manage the journey and remember to put ice packs on your packing list !

Tip for icing I discovered! I have 2 kinds of gel ice packs that I was using but they only stay cold for 20-30 minutes max. I am now using the ice cube mats for keeping food cold. The latest one I bought is sold at Bed Bath & Beyond for $3.99 and lasts well over an hour. It wraps around my hip well too. This one is Thermos Brand but I've seen them all over the place.

So sorry about your knee.. I’ve the same problem... it’s been playing up a lot since my THR & the x-ray shows severe OA... I’ve got to go back to the surgeon in 3 months to review it! I’m still using a crutch to try to take some pressure of it.

Your sounds like it might calm down... I do hope so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Hoppy Nanny Oh I am so sorry about your knee. Was this new since recovering from your Hip surgery March 20th? Is it the same side of the good side?
Mine was calming down but today I am using the rollator or 2 canes as its burning when I weight bear. I seem to not need meds at night but am taking a lot during the day. My hip is doing really well though and now this. I am keeping quiet about it as I am sick of talking about my pains but it is so worrisome. I find PT helps and will see how it goes. Good luck to you!

I hope you find some relief from your knee pain soon. It's difficult to find relief from one thing, only to be replaced by another issue.
I'd hate to see you miss your trip to visit your cousins, hopefully that won't happen.
Wishing you comfort and a good day!
@lotusbuds

I do understand the ‘keeping quiet’ about another issue @lotusbuds

My knee started after my first THR & then calmed down... but it started again last October when my other hip was really bad...
They were not sure which to go first so the surgeon chose the hip... the knee is the other side!

I shall keep using a crutch... it helps walking so much. I’m trying to ignore it as much as possible until August when I have an appointment with the Surgeon. I’m so enjoying life without the hip pain though.

Do hope yours is just a post op gait issue xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Hoppy Nanny Nanny Oh dear that you have to have your knee done too. I am sorry. I don't know if this is from my gait, overdoing it, doing a movement wrong in the pool but its been since May 10th. It seemed to be improving but yesterday was just awful. Today a bit better. I am on more meds than I took for my last weeks of recovery for my hip now. I can't begin to say how I feel about this. I am going to try to get in the pool on Tuesday to see if I can do anything in their for exercise. I am used to swimming laps even with my hip pain but not sure what I can till I go in.
I walk in the house with the 2 canes so I don't limp and use my friend's rollator when I wake up as the pain is worse then. I feel nothing sitting or lying down. Its weight bearing. The surgeon did say he found arthritis there. I think its bad but he said not bone on bone or 'that' bad. He seemed to think it would calm down. That was a week ago.
How long does Meloxicam take to take away pain? I don't know if its helping me. Maybe its reducing swelling.
@Layla I am still planning to go as my 5 first cousins are all older and in late 70's and mid 80's so I feel to see them. I also may get there and not be able to go to the memorial or out to the dinner invites but with meds I likely can.
Who knows though. I may postpone if I have to. Hope not.
Thanks!

I’m sorry about your new knee pain. I’m sure it feels very frustrating. I’ve gotten the impression that once we have OA in our hip and/or knee, we can pretty much assume it is in both our hips and knees to one degree or another. I don’t mean that as a negative but more of a statement. When I went for my 1 yr final OS appt, I asked if they could X-ray my knees as well while I was there. The PA told me she could about guarantee you I had arthritis in both knees as well as my other hip. She was right about the knees and I didn’t get an X-ray of the other hip. Both knees showed OA and one was bone on bone already but wasn’t bothering my other than the stiffness thank goodness.

I know you will work your way through all this. I definitely think you should plan to go on your trip. Once there, you can decide which activities you want to participate in. Setting up the wheelchair to take you through the airport is a great idea. Then once you need to walk, just take your time and enjoy yourself. Try to focus on the bright side of things - that this is all temporary and then you will totally have your life back. It’s not that you will be in pain for the rest of your life. If all these cousins are in their 70’s and 80’s, they will truly understand and I’m sure they each have a health issue or two of their own even if they haven’t mentioned it and definitely have some aches and pains here and there. By the time you go, you will have found the right mix of meds and you can even take an ice pack or two with you. Have a great time!!!

@GrannyC thank you for your kind words. I knew I have arthritis in my right knee as when I fell in 2015 and tore my meniscus the MRI showed arthritis and an ACL tear from a previous long ago accident. My right knee has not bothered me in 2 years so I was surprised to hear it was in my right knee. But what you say makes total sense. I'm also 67 so I guess its part of aging. I found that today and yesterday weren't so bad. I've been using 2 canes and a rollator at night but today I used one cane a lot. Yesterday and today I did a switch with meds and maybe that is why or maybe it is indeed healing. I won't know till the next days come. I was going to go to the pool to stretch but I am going to wait and go when I am back from my little trip and will likely go once there with my cousin as she goes 3 times a week. I am planning to take 2 ice packs. I heard you can't take them in carry on or they take them away. I will take it easy and go slow. I hate to leave right now as we have beautiful weather and our garden is gorgeous but it will be here when I get back. Its only for 4 nights. Thank you so much!
Hope you are doing well yourself.

Best news ever everyone! Lo and behold my knee has improved!!! a miracle as I went to the worst case scenario thinking how is this possible that after 3 months recovery and finally barely any hip pain my good knee is falling apart. A couple days ago I woke up and noticed less pain. It improved all day and its now been 4 days. I worked on Monday and was able to do it (with meds just in case) with 2 canes walking slowly down the long hospital halls. I did take something to help the pain that day. That night there was less stiffness and more movement. I would say its 50% better. Not totally but I reduced the pain meds and yesterday only took 4 Tylenol total which is less than I've taken in a year. Nothing else. The meloxicam may have helped with swelling but not pain. I am not going to take it today as although I know I can OS said take for a week. I had PT yesterday and a good session. I am going to go on my trip and take some extra meds as backup also the 2 canes. I'll ask for a wheelchair. The flight is 90 minutes so with the wait at the airport and the flight I should be ok hip wise. The only time the knee hurt was walking. Oh what a relief! I was so scared...just not ready for more surgery at this point when finally I am recovering so well. Thank you for all the kind words and encouraging support. I will have to be careful now not to overdo it. I will get back to swimming again this weekend. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you ! And the other good news is I have only one more shift in 2 weeks and then retirement!

Things are looking up. Wonderful news! It's great to read your knee is improving.
Safe travels....enjoy your flight and vacation!
@lotusbuds

@Layla Oh Layla thank you! I was waiting to post to make sure it was real. Yesterday wasn't great but still 50% better I would say. This morning looking good. Hoping for complete recovery so I can focus on my hip again. Hope my knee behaves...I will take it easy on the trip if I can and my 86 year old cousin swims 3 times a week so hoping to go with her this weekend. Cheers!

Such good news @lotusbuds! So happy to hear the knee is finally behaving and you even managed to work!! :yay: And only one shift to go, congratulations!!! Have fun on your trip........is it possible we'll all be swimming at 86??!! :scaredycat:What a trooper and I see it's in your genetics too!!! Funny how a good post can really make my day!!! :friends: :roseshwr: Stay in touch when you're back home!

Great news about the knee and hope the swimming helps. Have fun!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom