THR lotusbuds' recovery thread

Good Morning :hi: @lotusbuds
Wonder if your knee hurting on your non op leg has to do with your gait changing once again since THR?
You may find as you continue to get stronger and begin walking totally unassisted that the pain dissipates.
Hopefully anyway.
Wishing you a happy Tuesday!

Mine is the same @lotusbuds & I had it for my last THR...
walking heel/toe & building the muscles up around the knee will help... it will!!!
8 hour shift... wow.. that’s some going... roll on retirement!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Layla I sure hope so...I am afraid walking without the cane may have caused it as it all started a week ago when I was doing that more often. So now I don't let go of the cane. I am quite upset as if its something serious I will freak out. So hoping I just did something to it and the gait is the culprit. I am watching what shoes I wear too as I bought some new ones for after surgery and need to get some good supportive slippers.
I'll keep you posted.
@Hoppy Nanny thanks for the retirement wishes..please tell me more about your knee. This is my good leg with no previous issues in hip or knee.
Thanks!

I have been reluctant to post this and hesitated but here I go. My hip has been really good this last week. I barely have pain and although there is still a lot of swelling which I feel when sitting it has gone down some and same with the numbness. Very good news!
but...my knee has gotten worse and in fact I can barely weight bear on it. This is the 'good leg'. I have never ever had knee or hip pain in my left leg. I know it has been bearing the brunt for the last 2-3 years but I am freaked out!!! I don't remember doing anything. The only things I can think of this started after my swim a week or so ago where I went over to my water aerobics class to say hello and stayed in the water about 40 minutes after the swim doing leg work but nothing that hurt. That was over doing it for sure. I also then went to work the next day but was fine except for some stiffness from sitting too long. I made 8 hours and didn't need a nap when I got home as no fatigue. The pain started getting progressively worse each day. It gets better with a Tramadol and 2 tynelol but yesterday I added 2 Advil (ibuprohphen) to the mix and another Tramadol later in the day. Today 1 Advil and 2 Tylenol is all I've taken and it is tolerable and even doable. I avoid Advil for years as I was told over 65 its not good for you but I was also told once in awhile 3 max a day is ok to reduce swelling. On Wednesday morning (I hadn't started the Advil yet) it was feeling a lot better so I went for a swim. It hurt my knee to kick in the crawl, hurt to walk in the water and marching. I only stayed in 10 minutes.
So medication is working thought I need to find the right mix. I am scared and can't believe it! I can't face anything more after the hip surgery. I called my OS's office and they had a cancellation which is a miracle and I can see him Monday late morning.
Anyone else have this happen? Good hip or knee starts hurting?
Thanks
I'll keep you posted.
Have a good weekend everyone!

Hello, it's nice to hear your hip is doing well, no pain and decreased swelling. I'd continue to ice as needed and do the same for the knee that is bothering you until you see your surgeon on Monday.
Your knee could be bothering you from all the favoring of your op hip. Sadly, you could also have some arthritis. As you know from being on the forum, many with failing hips, also have issues with other joints. Something similar happened to me and I was informed I do have some mild arthritic changes. I hope it's not the case for you. If you can rule that out on Monday, hopefully with a little TLC you'll be back to normal. Keep us posted.
A great weekend to you!
@lotusbuds

Last edited:
yes @lotusbuds
my knee started playing up after my first THR 6 years ago ... it gradually eased off enough for me to get on with life...the surgeon said it was the knee getting used to a different gait...

my other hip started playing up 18 months ago & my knee deteriorated with it...
when I saw the surgeon it was a toss up which was first & he decided on the hip.

Don’t despair it may settle down in time without intervention ...I hope you can get an answer on Monday

@lotusbuds I am really sorry to hear your knee is getting worse. When you first mentioned it, I didn't expect that at all. I have seen people say another joint bothering them shortly after THR and they wondered if it had just been masked by such horrible hip pain so that might be one possibility and then as Hoppy said, gait changes. Whatever it is, I'm glad you are getting to see the OS so soon and hopefully it will be an easy fix for you!

Thank you @Carriemay60. The ibuprofen seems to be helping. Its not been a medication I have used at all and I think 3 a day is the max to take so I am taking it with a tyenlol each time.
I can't believe this pain!
My hip is doing really well so that is one good thing.
I believe I did something to it in the pool the one day I was in the water aerobics class not doing water aerobics but visiting with the ladies I have been in the class with for 16 years. I had done a nice swim with no pain and then went over to where they were working out. They all talk during the class so its not a heavy work out.
I have been so so careful since day 1 of my hip surgery to not twist or do anything fast and maybe I just was treading water or something and not concentrating. It came on slow.
Its unbelievable this pain. Especially getting out of bed or out of a chair.
Its acute so hopefully will just settle down if I have twisted something. It reminds me of my torn meniscus pain. Once on the proper meds that didn't need surgery as after a few weeks I was able to stop meds and walk fine. I guess I will get an X-ray to see what it is and maybe go on Meloxicam or Dicoflucinac or something for a short period.
This is my good knee and I have never ever had a fall or pain in the left hip or left knee. 4 falls on right knee over my life then the right hip arthritis.
Yikes..scary. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for caring.

Good morning @lotusbuds and sorry to hear about your knee. My left knee sometimes gives me problems since surgery. It feels like it's going to come out of joint and it happens seemingly out of nowhere. It helps me to put my knee brace on, it's an Ace neoprene thing. Sometimes I keep it on all day and through the night. It seems to help with the pain and makes my knee feel stable again. Not sure if that may help you or not, just a thought. I hate to see you go through this! Hope your appt goes well Monday. :flwrysmile:

@lotusbuds I was awake in dreadful pain the other night browsing the internet. I discovered that it is safe to take 400mg of ibuprofen as well as 1000mg paracetamol three times each day. I started doing that and it certainly took the swelling down in my knee and lower leg. I only wish it would do something to ease my nerve pain. I wouldn't take them for more than a few days but it might give you some relief

@lotusbuds Try & have a good weekend without worrying & hopefully without pain..
I’m sure it’s your knee complaining that it’s had to put up with so many changes... thinking of you [emoji8]

Hello @lotusbuds
Sorry...the pain sounds miserable.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful weekend. :console2:
Hopefully tomorrow feels brighter.

Thank you for your thoughts @Hoppy Nanny, @Carriemay60 @Layla @Fairydell @SE Florida I'm taking it real slow this weekend. I am staying in all weekend and taking it slow. Icing and elevating. Not sure what to take so fumbling through until Monday when OS tells me what to take. Hoping for the best possible outcome there is on this knee. Each morning I wake up hoping it has sorted itself out but so far it's not. Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Thank you @SarahBee...I hope you are doing well. Same with you @Hoppy Nanny , @Fairydell @SE Florida. I meant to ask but sometimes can't find your threads...so hope the healing and recovery is going well.
I talked to a friend today and I realized I always go to the worst case scenario. So I relaxed a bit more about this and if I twisted my knee or did something (which I obviously did) hopefully it doesn't mean jumping to 'knee replacement' right away. My good leg and knee have been through so much supporting me for 3 years that I am going to hope and trust they are ok. My torn meniscus is in my right knee where I had my hip replacement and although it doesn't bother me at all I know it could again one day.
OK feeling much more positive now.
I made a soup and its nice weather so going to sit on the deck for dinner.
Cheers!

I have to agree with you @lotusbuds on both things........I can't ever find anyone's threads and I automatically start thinking the worst when something doesn't feel right with my hip! Funny how our minds can play such games with our emotions. I can't imagine where my head would run off to without this forum! :shrug: Hopefully after a restful weekend of ice and elevating, things will get better with your knee. Enjoy the nice weather!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom