THR lotusbuds' recovery thread

6 week check up with OS went really well. He was please with my progress. The 2 incisions are healed.
I can drive and swim which were what I wanted to hear. I am not ready to drive though so he said just do it when I feel I can do it. No rush but he is ok whenever that is.
I asked about the swelling in my upper thigh and the groin pain after too much activity or walking with the cane too much.
Great answers I didn't really know.
As I had an anterior approach the pain that comes from overdoing it is in the groin. He said its ok to have a little pain if you feel good afterwards but to have pain from PT, walking too much, overdoing it is not ok. He said there is nothing to do about the swelling except ice and elevate. He told me not to go to PT for 6 2 weeks and give it a total rest.
He said I was doing great. He said something I had not heard. He said at 6 weeks I am at 20% healing. He then said at 9 months I won't even know I had surgery. The time in between will vary in recovery and it will improve steadily. He said I will notice improvement all the time if I don't over do it but complete recovery is still 80% ahead.
He says he wants me to use the cane for 2-3 months outside the house. Inside is fine without (when I am ready to stop using it). He says when I return to work he wants me to go the first day for only half a day as I have been off since February.
We talked about flying and driving for trips in the future not now. All is good as I don't plan on going anywhere till June.
He said to come back if there are problems otherwise not for 2 years for a follow up and X-ray.
I will see him at my work place so that will be nice. I brought him some CD's of my favorite musician and will take him chocolates too. I am not due back at work for 3 weeks and then only for 5 shifts and will retire in June. All is grand here today as I was pleased.
Not sure what I think about the cane for 2-3 months and the only 20% healed. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

All sounds great! Considering the magnitude of the surgery, 20% sounds good to me. If you see an additional 10% every month then a year sees you climbing mountains! (I failed math but you get the picture):heehee:
Sounds like a great appointment with all kinds of questions answered!

What a great appointment! You are 20% healed already... our bodies are amazing! From my first THR I know that this is a very steady progression to full health... it takes patience & time but so worth it.
I actually used one crutch for 6/7 months as it felt better outside & gave me confidence..... small stuff considering what you have been through already!!
Are you looking forward to your retirement in June???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@lotusbuds - thank you for this. As I also had anterior, it's helpful to have a frame of reference, despite knowing we are all different. Congratulations on high praise from your doctor. Sounds like you are doing very well. As for the cane, it will be a good protection against uneven ground, loose stones or such when outside.

I have been following you and I can't tell you how thrilled I am at your progress. :loveshwr:

:yay:Congratulations on a most excellent 6 week appointment! I didn’t know about the 20% healing. Encouraging to see all that you are able to do already. Funny that you walked without thinking about it!

Nice visit with the OS. It sounds as though he's very pleased with your progress.
When you're feeling ready to drive, have hubby take you to a large empty parking lot and practice.
All you really need to be comfortable doing is hitting the brake. I guess my fear was "I'd hate to get into an accident before this thing has a chance to settle in". Well, it could happen as a passenger also, I could fall at home and dislocate etc. I made many decisions not to live in fear along the way. Just be more cautious.

Following are a couple articles on healing -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/healing-how-long-does-it-take.5424/
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/where-are-you-in-thr-recovery.13960/

When your OS advised 2-3 months on the cane....did he mean until you're 2-3 months post op. Or 2-3 more months? It sounds like you had this done in time to enjoy your retirement once June rolls around.
Yay for you! :yay: Happy Tuesday, I hope it's a good one for you. :wink:
@lotusbuds

I think anyone who my OS saw he would have said the same thing about the 20% healing. It wasn't just me. He was making a statement about the surgery. It does make sense but I was shocked to be honest. Yes I use the cane now but its not always easy. I do feel liberated somehow. It is strange he doesn't want to see me for 2 years unless there is a problem but did say call with anything. @Layla Thank you for the 2 links! I had not read them and find them valuable information. It all makes sense now about the 20%. I will do what you say about driving. Right now I have no desire (which is strange as I am so independent) but in a day or 2 I think I will want to be able to go to the pool (10 minutes away) on my own so I can take my time and start doing little things. Actually went out for coffee after seeing OS and found a chair I was ok sitting in and did the 6 stairs up and down with my cane ok. First time doing stairs. I was also surprised when he told me to use the cane for 2-3 months outside the house. I am still totally dependent on the cane but this kind of upset me. I double checked and its starting now I guess. He said use it at work too. I assume not every minute or if I am at someone's house its ok not too when I am ready but outside. Maybe that is a safety measure so I don't trip. I thought he was pretty loose and easy so I was surprised but will do it. @Fit4Family @Carriemay60 @SarahBee @Hoppy Nanny thank you for your ongoing support. I will not leave the forum as this has been so nourishing and I hope I can support you all and others.
Yes I am looking forward to my retirement! I am 67 and stayed way too long.ha ha The good thing is I went to on call status (per diem) 4 years ago and went from working 14 days a month to the last year only 4 a month the minimum allowed due to my pain issues. So I am so ready.
Thanks everyone!
Have a wonderful day and let the healing continue.

Last edited:
Retirement is fab @lotusbuds... it’s good that you have cut down your hours over time... I did the same. I really don’t know how I had time to work.
My last THR I saw the Surgeon at 8 weeks & Ive never seen anyone since!!! I think they realise people will go back if they have any problems.
Hoping your healing continues so well.. x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@lotusbuds With my last hip surgery I didn't feel ready to drive for ages. When I was (or thought I was) I just kind of felt it so went and practiced emergency stops in a church parking lot (not on a Sunday!) The first time I did drive solo I came home with a $400 camera ticket for coasting thru a weird right turn red light behind another car up the road. Probably should have stayed home!

@SE Florida I am only at almost 7 weeks and it will be a many months I think before I will wake up and won't think of my hip...How are you doing today? I spent most of the day in bed and used the walker. Just felt like hiding...had some pain and just rested. I seem to do that every so often. its ok just part of the process I guess.
@Carriemay60 I am glad you keep us all laughing. Your driving story is hilarious but not really. I guess you didn't feel to come to a complete stop? $400 is a lot.

@lotusbuds The footage shows me fully stopped but then started going again when the car in front of me did. Just not properly tuned in and yes gave me a serious wake-up call with a squeaky clean driving record of over 40 years.

I get what you mean about hiding. I wish I had spent more time in bed today and not sure why I felt obligated to be up.

I still think of it too @lotusbuds but sometimes just for a brief moment, it leaves my mind when first waking up. Sorry to hear about your day. I was just catching up on your latest posts earlier and it sounds like your turning the corner with recovery and doing great for going into week 7. But it sure can be hard and there are days that I really want to either stay in bed or go back to bed! I hope your pain is better this evening and you have a good day tomorrow. :flwrysmile: We need more flower emojis don't you think?

Just popped over and saw you had your solo walk.:tada:
Nothing wrong with bopping about the kitchen, using countertops for balance...or around the sofa back and getting some weight on that leg.
Good for you.:loveshwr:

You might be on the cane for three months, or possibly not...your body is in charge.
Small walks will build your confidence.
Just No Falling:bignono:
Against the rules!
Hope the rest of your week is sweet!:)

Thanks everyone! I only walked the 6 or so steps in the kitchen once. I know I can do more but choosing not to. Today was painful as I overdid it yesterday though and so I just gave in to giving myself a break. I was up for awhile and then just lost interest and went back to bed and read. It was uncomfortable so then got up for awhile and went back. The pain is much less now and I only used the cane in the morning. Sometimes I just want to give it all a break so today was that. I rarely feel like this and so I'm not worried. I especially am careful to not fall. Oh that would be awful. We have been invited to friend's annual pot luck Brunch on Sunday but I just don't want to go except its great food. ha ha I may send my husband alone and ask for a care package. I just don't feel up to a lot of people and socializing. I who am a very social person. I do have a lunch date with a work mate on Friday and will take a pillow. I want to start back at the pool next week so have some goals.
Hope you all have a sweet week too.
Thanks!

I'd probably pass on the brunch too but definitely need that care package! Glad you are in better spirits and hope it continues for you!

It's very encouraging to read how little pain you are experiencing. My real pain is fading to seldom I think but getting a lot of deep aching still. Nice goal to go to the pool next week and having lunch out with a friend should be lovely if you take your pillow. I am feeling ready to get out even for a quick meal or something this weekend. Keep up the great work!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom