THR lotusbuds' recovery thread

slow but steady... feel like a sloth some days. Using cane in house a few minutes a day with no limp so soon more will happen. Raining now so no outdoor walking.
Question re swollen upper thigh and numbness. I find by the end of the day even if I have iced and elevated and had a nap I can feel my upper thigh swelling and being sore. So I try not to sit too much but I do sit a lot and get up every half hour. Any thoughts? My PT massages it lightly and I put magnesium cream on it sometimes. Tylenol helps and ice but it's annoying. I go back to work in a month (only 4 shifts for May) and sure hope I can do it as I sit a lot. But not worrying about that now as I got 9 weeks off and still have a month to go.
Have a good weekend everyone. Wishing you all a pain free day!

So glad you're making good progress. I've written before about swelling - and have done all the things you're doing. My bilateral hip replacement was done feb 19th 2019 and 6.5 weeks on I have still got 'ledges' on my hips and my right knee is a good 1.5 inches bigger than the left. Am told this could last many months but is very frustrating for now as have been living in yoga style stretchy pants since the op. Comfortable but not necessarily a good look. Would love to get in my jeans. Hope your swelling goes down soon.

@hbl Thanks! I am just wondering if there is something I can put on it. It doesn't affect my pants as they are big and stretchy...though I should be able to go swimming soon as I see OS after next week. Its more the awful feeling at the end of the day and when my arm happens to touch it by accident at night it seems to have blown up even more.

Happy Saturday! I hope you're having a good day so far and slept well last night.

I'm wondering if you feel you could be more active? Am curious if you're sleeping well, or still feeling exhausted?
Personally...I'd try to ditch the walker and rely on the cane for a bit.
If you don't mind sharing, I'm wondering what type of activity you're engaging in on a typical day?
Would you care for us to involve Josephine for some input on all? Please consider...
Hugs for the day :) :friends:
@lotusbuds

Last edited:
@Layla I don't mind if you ask Josephine. Thank you!
I am barely any pain anymore and tomorrow stop my twice a day aspirin so am only taking tyenlol as needed.
I do sometimes feel I could be more active. Here is what I am doing. I do the laundry, cook, do the dishes, make and change the bed, clean toilet, all ADL's on my own for weeks. Dressing is easy. I can bend down to pick things up off the floor though sometimes I use the grabber. I still use a sock aid which I am fine with.Twice I have gone grocery shopping and walk the aisles with walker. Each time its been about 30 minutes. Today I used the cane to walk from the house to car. I think I will start using cane more. I have walked 3 times outside with trekking poles but only from 5-15 minutes max. I walk in the house but its small and no stairs. I sit a lot but always get up every hour.
I am sleeping fine for 2-3 hours on my back or on the good side with pillow between my legs. Once a day I seem to have a nap or rest and then stay up until around 10. Get up every 3 hours or less to pee which is new. Up at 6am. I am doing well at PT doing gentle exercises.

Last edited:
@SE Florida that is funny! I don't do all that in one day. I was just telling Layla what I can do. I don't vacuum ha ha
I love doing dishes and we don't have a dishwasher as it means renovating so I stand when I am sore and do the dishes staring out the window at our birdlife in the yard over a pond my husband made years ago. I was just saying the things I can do. thanks!

Last edited:
Geez, was a little worried you were doing too much like Super Woman......but we are bionic now! The pond sounds so nice and perfect for watching the wildlife. One of the first things I did after surgery was to run out and fill the bird feeders and it wasn't easy using my walker but definitely worth it!
@lotusbuds

Last edited:
I guess I'm thinking you're doing okay then @lotusbuds
I got the impression you weren't doing much when you said you "feel like a sloth some days" and "I try not to sit too much, but I do sit a lot and get up every half hour".

If you're comfortable with the cane, I would try to use it more often so you can ditch the walker.
I often referred to the Activity Progression for THR while I was in recovery. It is only a gauge but I do think it can be used as a guide to check whether you may be under active, or doing too much.
I don't feel we need to tag Jo unles you have specific questions for her.

I hope you have a nice evening!

@Layla thanks for the concern and help Layla. Our power went out for 2 hours and I had written a reply but luckily took a snapshot in case it didn't go through which it didn't.
Somehow I feel I am doing ok but should be walking more. I did walk 2 days and 2 day (today being one) in grocery stores. But if its not raining I feel I need to up the ante. 20 minutes looks good.
I was ready to use a cane 2 weeks ago but couldn't do it without limping as I spent 3 years limping. So now for the last week I have a little 2 step movement I do a couple times to get started as I can't start without a limp and I am walking with no limp or pain with the cane which is actually a walking stick. I have a cane too but its the same. I tire easily and do get groin pain but as you suggested I will use it more to build the strength.
If you have any other thoughts let me know. I have one more week till I go to the OS office and I don't want to use the walker thats for sure. Its a rollator but still a walker.

I feel you can safely practice heel-toe walking while using a cane. I wasn't made aware of heel-toe
walking until I was using the cane and attempting to lose it.

Many tire easily, you're certainly not alone in experiencing that.
Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery
our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial.

Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping. So take advantage of your time off work and nap when you're able if you're tired. I think walking into the OS's office with a cane is a good goal to work on for the next week.

Wishing you a relaxing evening and some restorative rest overnight.
@lotusbuds

You certainly sound capable of a lot! The more post-op threads I read, the more I think the approach really does make a difference. You are really moving forward in a big way and I am so, so happy for you! :loveshwr:

It sounds like you are making very good progress. The question about the swelling is a good one for you to ask the OS and get his/her thought on it and how long it might last. You don’t necessarily have to get outside to walk a bit more. If you get up to use bathroom, walk to bathroom, do your thing and walk back to your chair but before you sit down, walk back to bathroom again just for the exercise. My house is just a small ranch so I could walk up and down the hall or just walk around from one room to the next as the weather outside wasn’t that good at the time plus there are no sidewalks near my house. I think the more you walk with the cane, the more comfortable you will feel.

Also, I agree with Layla that you should nap when needed. They really did a lot to our bodies in surgery and that all takes a lot of time to heal so we need extra rest. We all felt tired for a while after surgery. Like everything else related to this surgery, everyone recovers at a different rate and heals differently so don’t compare yourself to someone else. Keep up that walking -heel, toe, heel, toe.....

Hi. Great to read your progress! I can’t weigh in on capability as I’m behind you and have a broken femoral to contend with. I’ve been in to OS twice, re swelling. I was basically told the same as you. It can take months to return to normal. My left knee is 2” larger than right. Hip same. Feet both swollen but left barely looks like a foot. Moving about seems to help more than anything.

I’ve never heard of the sticks you talk about using outside. Looks like many in UK use two canes which seems like a great alternative to the walker. Happy Sunday! Seems like you’re doing great!

@Fit4Family Thanks! my feet aren't swollen but my thigh is and numb and hurts when sitting too long. I can deal with the swelling and numbness but don't like it but hate the pain. By the way the first trekking poles I got are from the UK designed by a physio called Pacerpoles. Very ergonomic handle. I also have a pair of folding Leki. They are also called walking sticks. They look like 2 canes but your hands are positioned differently. check them out. I also use a Leki walking stick instead of a cane but have a folding cane too. Take good care!
@Carriemay60 you are so kind to be offering support so close after your own surgery. That is a good sign. I thought I was moving forward until the last couple days. I took an oxycontin last night as the pain was bad and I also thought I was getting sick but it passed. Then going into bed I hurt my groin area with a stretch I guess. I don't use my leg lifter anymore as I don't need it but had to use it this morning. All seems fine again today and I am going to attempt the cane soon. Hope you had a good restful night.
@GrannyC My house is the same. I'm on week 5 plus 2 days so have been doing what you say for a couple weeks. Just feel to either do more or just do the same with the cane only. I will start later today or in the morning for sure.
I do rest a couple times a day. Love it. I'm usually so active that I am loving being at home and resting a lot. Have needed it.
@Layla I will try the heel toe with the cane and hoping I can build up strength and go farther each day. Even just using it alone instead of the walker. I have 4 weeks left to return to work. Thing is I am officially retiring 4-6 weeks after. So excited! just decided to go back for the extra money and as I said I would. I confirm the last day of work this week with my manager. Its been 2 years coming so I know its time. YEAH!!!
now if I can just getting to walk without any aids I will be happy.

:hi: Happy Sunday!
Congrats on your upcoming retirement. That's something to look forward to for sure.
I think you'll build strength and confidence in using the cane for a longer period of time each day.
It will come...and you have time before your return to work. Sorry to read you were in pain last evening. It sounds like sleep helped. Hopefully you have a great week ahead!
Hugs
@lotusbuds

I don’t know if others find this, but at times I feel like I might be coming down with something when I am overtired. Also, I had some numbness in my thigh for several months after surgery. Eventually it disappeared but I’m sure it must have been there for at least six months. I agree with Layla about the cane. I’m sure the more you use it, the more confident you will be. I think the walker offers more support but we tend to underestimate the sturdiness of our new hip. I think you are doing fine as long as you don’t overdue!

@Layla I am very excited about retirement. Been at the same job 16 years and the last 3 had to use a cane/walking stick. I am so ready. Its kind of ridiculous I am going back at all but as long as I can manage it I'm going to do it. I am so out of using the cane and so reliant on the walker. I just have to start using the cane more as you say. It seems the days I do more walking (with walker) I suffer a few hours later and need rest, nap, ice, elevating. Yesterday I had a pretty pain free day but took it easy. I did walk outside but with the walker to the mailbox and down the road to my next door neighbor who wasn't home but it was about a 15 minute walk only. No pain today so after PT will start using the cane. My goal is to walk with the cane into the OS office next week. Thanks for your ongoing support.
@GrannyC thank you! I agree with what you are saying. I feel so ready and do know my new hip is strong. Just fear of limping and not of falling keeps me back.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks