THR lotusbuds' recovery thread

Brrrr, you'll have to shower in mid afternoon for maximum warmth but certainly sounds risk free and incredibly thoughtful of your hubby! If you prefer to be on the computer from your chair, you could roll a thin tea towel to make one of those wrist supports they sell for about $50!!

Hope all is well with you today!

Update Day 27
I am still using the Rollator and right hand/wrist is completely better. The left hand is still numb at the fingers but not getting worse. I am down to no oxycontin except one every 2 days. I did take 2 tramadol a few days ago but now only 1 per day as it takes away the pain but makes me groggy. Glad its there though. 6 tylenol per day still happening. I left a message yesterday at OS' office asking when I can stop wearing the compression stockings. For me and poor husband who struggles each time putting them on. I stopped the Ted socks weeks ago and was told my own compression stockings were fine as they have the same compression weight and are shorter. Both were knee high. My discharge instructions say stop 4 weeks after surgery so it should be soon. I guess I started wearing them on March 3 before leaving the hospital.
So all good on that part. Each day was slow but steady.
On Monday I went to outpatient PT. I have known this clinic for 3 years. I was so excited! Brought them goodies, lots of hugs and smiles. But...he started stretching my leg and bending it and I was in shock. He said good thing you know me and trust me. And I do...in the past those stretches (a bit different) were amazing. I had taken an oxycontin beforehand so it was just scary but not too painful. I know on this forum PT is ok not to have and I know a few OS' who don't recommend any PT after surgery. I love PT usually and have lots of exercises I do from Home PT and discharge info from the hospital. Well I was in so much pain the last 40 hours I had to up my medications and did no home exercises yesterday. Napped and iced a lot. Today I am ok but go back.
I will be adamant and say NO!!! more of that.
He wants me to bring 2 canes so I can practice walking. I do it at home a short bit and don't limp so goal is no limping.
Have a great day everyone. Its sunny and spring like here.
Late add Happy to report PT was gentle today. Did a lot but no pain.

Last edited:
I love PT usually and have lots of exercises I do from Home PT and discharge info from the hospital. Well I was in so much pain the last 40 hours I had to up my medications and did no home exercises yesterday. Napped and iced a lot. Today I am ok but go back.

Sweetie, how do you think this is helpful? He hurt you. Not deliberately, but he still hurt you. You shouldn't have to drug yourself up and sleep off PT. It shouldn't cause you pain. You're injured, your flesh was cut, soft tissue, muscles and tendons stretched and manipulated. Power tools were used. Your body is desperately trying to heal. If you sustained these same injuries in a car wreck, would you feel the need to go workout your leg, I'm guessing not, you'd most likely rest and let it slowly heal. Please consider holding off on this for some time rather than go back for more. Please re-read the Big Tip from the Recovery Guidelines -

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

It's difficult to imagine you hurting as you described because it's really unnecessary. Please give it some thought.
Wishing you comfort and continued healing.
@lotusbuds

Thank you @Layla for your kind words. They almost made me cry. In fact I remembered an image of a woman in the operating room that I didn't really process till now. I got introduced to each person though they all seemed far away. There was one woman at the end of the room who was in strange garb. Now I understand. She had on something like a welder's mask...those big plastic masks to protect you from welding materials and in this case flying bones and blood! So that being said I understand what you meant.
I did go back yesterday and my PT who knows me well was very gentle and just rocked my leg and hip and massaged my swollen upper thigh. I have had no pain since and am back to one tramadol and 6 Tylenol a day.
Mostly we practiced me walking with my cane and I couldn't do it without limping. PT had to see me doing this. So we are leaving it for awhile. I'll take it easy for awhile. I am feeling good and was able to put on my pants and underpants standing up without the dressing stick. Somehow since PT I have more range of motion with no pain. go figure. Anyways slow but steady...

Happy Friday :wave: @lotusbuds

Interesting! The only people I saw in the OR were the two anesthesiologists I met in the prep area earlier
and one nurse I believe. I think you're groggy from a lil somethin, somethin before "showtime" :heehee:
I did greet and have a short convo with my OS in prep also but never saw him in the OR.

Post op I wondered if there was a group, in all their garb, standing behind swinging doors waiting until it was "lights out" so they could descend on me, lol. You can't help but wonder how you're moved, twisted, manipulated throughout the process, although I wouldn't want to see because I think I'd feel sorry for myself and cry :bawl:Haha! You have to laugh about it I guess, over and done with.

I'm happy PT took it easier on you. Going forward, if anything hurts, please stop. Great for dressing without an aid. Another milestone!

I hope you have a beautiful Spring weekend in the PNW! :SUNsmile:

I have found your journey inspiring @lotusbuds Just 3 weeks behind you (thr). I had very painful wrists during my first pinning surgery (oct) and 12 week walker period. Others may have told you, but ice your elbow area, inside and wrist too. Several times a day. Make a note to yourself to sleep with your arms to your side and relax your grip. There were many days my wrists hurt worse than my hip so I feel for you. Hope you move quickly through the walker phase. I found the cane to be much easier and more comfortable. Take care.

@Layla I hope you also have a beautiful weekend. Images and thoughts of blood and saws were definitely not in my mind till now weeks later. I don't want to scare a soul so just know all of you who have not had surgery yet that you are about to embark on a whole new world and lease on life! I'm slow but steady and today barely did any exercises..just iced, elevated, did dishes and laundry, slept and a bit of walking. No pain. Doing a few times daily of walking with cane but always have my other hand for the right kick through of walking holding onto the counter. I imagine by doing that enough I may do it once without holding. If I do it daily maybe that will happen I am hoping..ha ha
@Fit4Family nice to meet you. Thanks for the info on the wrists. No one has mentioned to ice my elbow area, inside and wrist too. My right wrist is fine again but the left fingers are the same but wrist is a bit better. I will sleep with my arms to the side tonight. I have had carpal tunnel and had surgeries on both wrists over 25 years ago. The interesting thing is I don't wake up like I did then so hoping I can avoid getting it again. So you are at one week out. Good luck on your recovery and please post how it goes.
Have a good weekend everyone!

Today's update
Sunny warm spring day! have been in the house for a month except for going to OS twice, PT twice and hairdresser once (way too soon). I know I haven't been walking enough so decided I would go along for the trip to the grocery store and then I wanted to go to a local lake for a walk. So off we went at 9am and I decided to come in too. With the Rollator (it wasn't busy) I walked around Trader Joe's and then the local health food store for some veggies. We then went to the lake which is close by and I walked with my trekking poles!!! I went slow but steady with no limping or looking down. Was real careful and stopped all the time. My husband was right there too. I just did it in the parking lot. Now if I could only walk with a cane...anyways need I say more. Fatigue set in and I elevated an iced twice, had a nap and was in pain. Of course I should have only gone on the walk. But I had such a good day..I did have to take a Tramadol when home and an Oxycontin in the middle of our adventures but it was worth it. Tomorrow I will stay home and rest. Now I feel I can walk around my yard with the trekking poles just couldn't with the rollator outside as its not paved anywhere till the road. OK I know I am going to get told I overdid it! I also stood there organizing the fridge and freezer...but I gave up after a couple minutes as thats when I knew I had to lie down. Enjoy the weekend folks!

Your self awareness will really help you. You are assessing every move and taking care with every step whilst allowing yourself to step out into the”real world” in small doses. And not afraid to retreat into your icepack and elevate when necessary. Looks like you have this recovery sussed.

Someone advised me to measure progress on a once a week basis and this helped as I could gradually mark improvents. Have a well-deserved rest today! You’ve got this!

Well said @SurreyGirl
Most of us figure how much is too much by doing too much.:groan:
As you say, follow up a very active day with a more take it easy day.
This recovery is a dance...but all will get better and better!:tada:

If you slept okay, I say it was probably worth it to get out for some fresh air. Sunshine when you've been cooped up is a bit hard to resist!

It snowed here last night and is actually still coming down! Several inches already :blackcloud:

Hello :wave:
I'm happy you got out, sorry you overdid it. It can be bit of a challenge initially to find that sweet spot of
"just enough" activity. Then of course, it's ever changing as you're healing, feel more energized and become stronger. It sounds like you went full throttle yesterday, lol. Live and learn, right? We've all had at least one of those learning experiences along the way.

A day of rest sounds like just what the doctor ordered. Maybe a little walk in the yard. Be careful of those divets and rabbit holes though, no tripping allowed :no-fin: Sometimes simply sitting outside in the fresh air and sunshine helps you feel like you're part of the world again.
Happy Sunday!
@lotusbuds

Update - I am going into my 5th week and still can't believe it. The first week of recovery is a distant memory but one I can bring back in a second. After overdoing it on Saturday I had to rest most of Sunday. Had PT on Monday ( no pain afterwards) and yesterday. I am now on only tyenlol 2 tablets 3 times a day and Aspirin twice a day for 5 more days. Stopped wearing the compression stockings yesterday. I hated them but they did feel good for the first few hours.
Yesterday after PT I said I want to try my cane (Leki walking stick) again. I had been doing it daily at home next to the counter in the kitchen but never able to let go of the counter. I just freeze in fear that I will limp which is what I do. So after this PT session where I felt stretched and he had massaged every so gently near the scar I walked 50 feet at least with no counter top just in open space with the cane!!! The first step seemed to have a slight limp but not the rest. I did it 3 times and once when I got downstairs to the car to show my husband. I did it again this morning but am giving it a rest now. I want to walk outside with my trekking poles in our garden for 5 minutes to get the mail at the street soon. I can't quite believe it. I just thought I would always have this 4 wheeled walker attached to me for months.
I am now sleeping on the good side with a long pillow between my legs. Each night it gets easier. I really want to on my right side but I know I'm not ready. Only thing is my legs below my knee seem to ache at night. I do all the exercises like ankle pumps and get up every 2 hours it seems for a pee break..new since the surgery but am hoping its ok they hurt. I did realize at 2am I could take 2 Tylenol and that helped.
Oh there is light at the end of the tunnel like you all said.
I am scheduled to go back to work in another month so hope I can do it. I only work 4 days a month now on a weekend day but its a long drive and I do walk around but also sit a lot. I will see the week before if I need to start at half a day first.
Thank you for listening everyone.

Last edited:
You sound like you are doing well.
Those recovery niggles can morph and come and go.
You sound very well friend!
Careful with overdoing as you feel better and better.
Hugs:friends:

Great update. Walking without the rollator, shedding the compression stockings, all big signs that you are really coming good. Doesn’t it feel wonderful to get out in the fresh air and sunshine!

You are lucky to be able to sleep on your side already. It took me about 8 weeks I think to be able to sleep comfortably on my non operated side. Then it was many weeks more to sleep on the operated side, but it just came along gradually, as it will for you. A THR is certainly a lesson in patience, but as you say, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

@Klassy @Mojo333 @Layla @Carrie thanks for your kindness. Well today the weather got a bit chilly and I felt I better ice and elevate and I fell asleep. I seem to wake up very cold when icing, Anyways I didn't get out of the house at all. For the best. I have PT tomorrow. I'm going twice a week. Don't do anything strenuous so its ok.
Last night I was able to sleep the most with no pain on my good side. I think as at PT something had stretched.
I just get restless and look forward to days where sleep or lying down is restful as it was before all the pain before surgery and now.
Would someone explain why the swelling and numbness in the upper thigh can last a year? I understand why its there but was hoping it wouldn't be there a long time.

Great update! You're making headway.
Awesome news on slowly moving from the walker, to the cane. Keep practicing. Practice makes perfect.
Congrats on losing the compression socks! It was a highlight of my recovery. I despised them. :gaah: It's a relief to be rid of them and another sign of progress.

Try dressing warmly or using a blanket while icing. It may keep you from getting so cold.

I've read online elsewhere (MU Health Care) that deep aches and swelling in the hip can persist for a long time because bone, a living tissue, continues to re-model and adapt around the metal implant. This increased metabolic activity can lead to lingering soreness and swelling after heavy activity, all of which will disappear with time. The incision cuts small nerve fibers that run from the inside to the outside of the hip, so the skin feels numb after surgery. It should resolve over time. I'd advise you inquire / verify all of this with your OS, or a member of his care team.

At only one month post op you have many month of healing to go. Just keep moving forward and measure your progress by weeks, not days. Slowly but surely you'll get there.

You really don't need to do those exercises. You're mobile, it seems it should be enough. I'll bet if you stopped the at home exercises, some of the achiness would disappear. Consider trying it for a couple weeks. Since PT isn't necessary either, please continue taking it easy there and don't do anything that hurts, if it hurts, STOP.

Thanks for updating. It was nice to hear from you. I hope you have a great week!
@lotusbuds

• Fantastic report! It's hard to believe it's been 5 weeks already. I am excited for myself to see some of your accomplishments this early on. I had to smile at your wish to go to the mailbox; I also look forward to that.

You certainly have made huge strides forward. I agree with Layla that is is much more helpful to measure your accomplishments by the week rather than by the day. You don’t really notice anything from day to day but when you look back a week, you can see all that has happened. Actually I agree with everything Layla told you including about the exercises. I was very happy to read you are gradually moving toward the cane now. It will become easier each day to use it. Keep up the good work!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GardenGram
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back