THR lotusbuds' recovery thread

GrannyC said it all! Love her.
At only 20 days post op you're doing well. It will all fall into place.
Sorry about the sore hands / wrists.
I'll bet you feel better since the hair color :wink: I used to slap on minimal make-up because it made me feel better and kept me from shrieking when I caught a glimpse of myself in the bathroom mirror, lol.
A great evening to you!
@lotusbuds

@GrannyC today I tried the heel, toe, heel, toe and walked slower and it helped. Home PT c with omes for the last time tomorrow and we will practice the cane again. I haven't been walking much other than short distances in the house but the good news is I have gone from 12 oxycontin per day with 6 Tycontylenol in one 24 hour period spaced out to 4 oxycontin with the 6 Tylenol. Next week I'll start tramadol and see if that gets me off the oxycontin. This has been easier than I anticipated. I need the pain killer at night and mid day. Home PT showed me how to sleep on the non operated side and said it won't dislocate my hip (I had anterior) and to start with a pillow between my legs. It was awkward but I did find a bit of comfort for a short time. I am tired of only doing my back though as I practiced before surgery its not too bad. I know if my hands weren't numb I would be walking outside. It is improving though but I can't seem to just walk with the Rollator with a light touch. I try...I do feel steady on my feet. I think it will just happen. Can't imagine walking with a cane or nothing but I sure hope that happens soon.
@Layla Thanks! same to you. Have a good evening. Vanity was worth it I guess as the next day I was fine. Monday I go to outpatient PT and am bringing them a huge box of chocolates to celebrate. I have been going there off and on for 3 years. First a year for a torn meniscus from a work injury and fall L & I case and then 2 years for this hip of mine. I look forward to it and if they work me too hard I won't do it. Thanks again!

On that heel, toe thing, you really have to concentrate on doing it. As soon as your mind wanders off to something else other than your gait, you may easily go back to the limp. If you limped for quite some time prior to your surgery, it is going to take some effort to get rid of it. I’m not sure why the limp becomes almost natural. You are doing great though and at this point, I’m sure you can look back to the past few weeks and see your progress. Keep it Up!

Well it’s a start. Doing the heel to heel toe slows me down so I put less pressure on my hands and I am noticing how it makes me stand taller and walk differently even though I don’t limp with the walker. That’s progress.
I lay on my good side twice last night for short periods and it’s getting easier.
Thanks everyone. It’s my 3 week anniversary and I think I’m doing well even with the numb hands. They do prevent me from walking far but I feel stronger today.

Yes! I always felt I was walking straighter and taller when I was initially practicing heel-toe walking.
At 21 mo post op I can STILL get sloppy. Old habits die hard I guess.
Happy Three Week Anniversary! I hope you're having a nice Friday.
Keep up the good work and enjoy the weekend! :wave:
@lotusbuds

Old habits die hard I guess
I don’t think we realize how entrained those old habits are. At almost 2 yrs out I find I still lead with my good leg when going up stairs. Crazy really. If I catch myself soon enough, I try to lead with operated leg just so that I mix it up I guess you could say. Of course, it could all be my imagination but I don’t think so. I think I probably led with good leg for years before I even realized it.

You are making good progress. Slow and steady is the way to go. Soon the weather should improve and you may be able to get outside more and that feels good. Not sure about weather where you are but here it is 20’s this morning with about 4 inches of new snow on the ground so not good weather for venturing out with a new hip.

OK friends I am done in 8 days from 12 oxycodone to 2-3 maximum in a 24 hour period. Soon will transition onto to Tramadol with Tylenol 500 mg. Hopefully won't need much tramadol.
Slept for the 3rd time for maybe 15 minutes on my good side. Still feels odd but its a great change from being on my back all the time.
Hands still numb and I guess as I have a history of carpal tunnel though I had the surgery on each wrist over 25 years ago it could come back so watching it. Practicing my walking slowly heel toe heel toe with 2 canes or 2 trekking poles just to relearn not to 'hike' as my home PT called it my hip up with the limp. That is hard but not letting it bother me. I am on day 23 and in awe. This morning the frogs have come back to our pond and it does feel like Spring. @GrannyC hope your weather warms up soon. On the west coast here last week we had a day that was 81! unusual but fantastic. Have a great weekend everyone.

Last edited:
This morning the frogs have come back to our pond and it does feel like Spring.

:froggies: Happy Spring! :flwrysmile:

You're doing very well. Keep it up. I wish your hands didn't feel numb.
Soon enough you'll be walking on your own and I'm sure your hands / wrists will recover once relieved from the added stress. I hope this weekend is a great one! :SUNsmile:
@lotusbuds

Such a great report! Concentrating on heel/toe is hard but your efforts will pay off working on it early. That will be my biggest PT challenge after 5 years of walking cockeyed. We are getting some sun but still pretty cold over here. My surgery date is now included in the 14 day forecast which is really exciting and although I won't be out to enjoy it will be sunny and 10c!!

@Carriemay60 I'm Canadian remember living in the states so know all about c to f but still like someone to tell me so thanks! Its getting so close for you and I'm excited for you!

Update from today. Down from 12 Oxycontin 9 days ago to just one today! Yeah! I started tramadol in the middle of the day and had a nap. So far it helped and will help me wean off I hope. I may need to take another oxytocin's before I go to bed but not sure.
A friend brought over a huge lunch for us today and I actually sat at the table. My husband put me 4 inch pillow on the kitchen table with the 2" pillow behind it and I sat comfortable for longer than I do with the little tv table in front of me. I think its because I could lean on the table. I wasn't able to get there at first but now I could stand and maneuver my way in. I'll do it now and then but it felt like another step forward. Fingers still number from the Rollator but not worse.
Each day is slow but steady. Still a super long way to go but glad to be on day 23!

All these little steps, like having dinner at the table, seem like such major milestones for each of us after surgery. I remember getting excited about being able to get in and out of bed by myself. Each of these milestones reminds us how much we have accomplished since our surgery date and how well we are doing. I found, too, that sharing these accomplishments on the forum so helpful as everyone here understands what we are going through. How fantastic, too, that you are almost off the OxyContin.

Hearing spring peepers sounds good to me. I’m more than ready for spring. The sun is out this morning and forecast says 40’s today so hopefully this new snow will melt quickly.

@Carriemay60 @GrannyC thanks for the laugh this morning! I am going to sit at the table again today as I realize typing on the little TV table my wrists are lower and at the table its at a higher level so that will be better for my wrists too. Its shower time today! Did I tell you my husband hooked up an outdoor shower with warm water through the garden hose from the laundry room? no one can see me so I sit on a commode and then stand. Love it as we don't have a walk in shower and didn't want to do the shower transfer bench. Oh YAH my last oxycontin was at 4am yesterday. So 29 hours ago. Took 2 tramadol 6 hours apart and slept like a baby. But do wake up groggy where as the oxycontin I had non of that. I am going to try 2 tramadol again but not starting till later and just try 2 tynelol during the day and see how that is. I have more flexibility I think today but not sure. Enough me. Everyone enjoy the day!

That is some funny commentary above. The private outdoor shower sounds lovely, if it's warm enough outdoors. Good to hear you slept like a baby last night. It feels so refreshing to be well rested. I hope your revised med schedule works for you. You have a big day ahead. An outdoor shower, a med adjustment and another sit at the table. It's the little things. I remember being so proud of myself the first time I made coffee and toasted a bagel. I pushed my coffee mug along the counter as I balanced a small plate with my thumb on the top of my cane. All on the way to the table. I felt like such a big girl :curtsey: You're on your way! :happydance:
@lotusbuds

I called my mom 4 days post op to let her know...after stressing over constipation and her telling me to relax and read a magazine:blackcloud:with bilateral hip replacement on a HARD toilet riser...that when my husband went to town...I went to the bathroom and managed to have a BM all by myself!
She said "Congratulations - again, honey. I think I told you that once before at a year and a half old":rotfl:

Did I tell you my husband hooked up an outdoor shower with warm water through the garden hose from the laundry room? no one can see me so I sit on a commode and then stand
Love it!:)
Necessity IS the mother of invention.:yes:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks