THR lotusbuds' recovery thread

@lotusbuds i had my surgery on March 1st too. You hang in there girl! Sounds like you’re doing all the right things. I’ll be looking forward to your update after your doctor visit.

I don’t think any incisions look good early on but that is only my opinion.
I tend to agree with you! What has really caught my attention is the wide variation in how surgeons deal with the incisions. Zip covers, glue, staples, stitches----and the different shapes and lengths of incisions even on the same person with the same surgeon but different hips. Also our perspectives of the incisions---our expectations. :)

Hi :hi:
Happy One Week Anniversary! I recall one week post op as a mini milestone. After that it seemed the weeks just clicked by. Hoping all went well with your visit to the OS's office yesterday.
Wishing you a great Friday and relaxing weekend.
@lotusbuds

Greetings my forum friends! I apologize for disappearing. I feel bad about it.
Each day I meant to check in and start writing but I didn't realize how recovery became a 'full time' job and now 2 weeks today has gone by. I can't believe what a journey it has been. I am fine and doing well. @Granny6 so glad to read your posts! congratulations. I plan to take some time today to read posts again and catch up as I haven't even done that. I will come back later today but just wanted to let you all know how much I appreciate all the pre surgery support and information I got here. Its unbelievable!
I saw the surgeon yesterday for my 2 week follow up. They took an X-ray in the office and it looks good. I go back in a month.
Thanks

Fantastic to hear from you and know things are going well. I’m sure you can already tell how great it is to be rid of the OA pain for good.

:hi: Glad to hear all seems to be going well.
Lots of improvement yet to come!:egypdance:

@GrannyC and @Mojo333 thank you! Yes it is great to be experiencing no arthritis pain! Its so great...completely gone. I am so glad I had this surgery and as many have said before me, I should have done it sooner. I had one year of knee pain from a torn meniscus and then 2 years of hip pain from severe arthritis etc. The surgeon did tell me after surgery that it had gotten worse since he saw the last xray's in December. My last few weeks I was in agony using a heating pad at night and my cane or trekking poles in and out of the house. I just could not get the pain under control. That is all history now and I am very happy. I was writing things in my head the last 2 weeks to write on here but just felt too overwhelmed. I am more rested now and so here I am.
I'll try to make this short. Once we got to the hospital everything just happened on its own. When I was wheeled into the operating room I saw a huge playlist on the wall and heard some great music. I was about to ask who was playing but the anesthesia kicked in and I was out like a light before I could ask. In the post recovery room I was in a lot of pain and I don't think I was given anything. It was so bad I was quietly crying and moaning which is not like me. I tried talking and would fall asleep mid sentence. Not great memories but soon in the room I was given more pain relief. I ended up staying 2 nights instead of the planned one as I got to the floor so late in the day and was unsteady on my feet in the morning. I was so glad to stay 2 nights.
The details don't really matter but once home I found I could barely do anything on my own so my husband had to help me with everything or be standing by. Somewhere in that fog I do remember noticing that the pain I was feeling was really strong but was not the normal pain I had before surgery from my arthritis. It is still intense but getting less daily.

I now am 2 weeks and a day out from surgery. Somewhere in the last 7 days I went over a hump and now can do almost everything by myself and my thinking is clearer. I had to go to the OS's office after one week so they could check my incision as the Home Health RN thought it may be infected but it wasn't. That is like a blur. It was a drag to go out so soon. I went back for my 2 week followup on Thursday and they took an xray in the office which showed my new hip and it all looked good. I have been on a lot of oxycontin for pain control and have been told I need to start weaning off it as they can only renew it one more time. I am down from 10 mg every 3 hours a total of 12 pills a day to 7 a day but still need to keep reducing. The pain has come back but it's doable. So many stories and insights... I want to tell everyone considering this surgery not to be afraid of it as I was. Its the best thing I could have done for myself.
I want to read the forum tonight and catch up on the last 2 weeks. It hasn't been all easy and I'm still in pain but its all worth it.
I'm also glad I ended up going to the hospital I work in. I kept running into people who I hadn't seen in years. It was so nice. At one point the PT said to me its good I came there as I'm family! I've graduated from a 2 wheeled walker to a Rollator and love it. Today I felt extreme fatigue and so slept a few hours in the afternoon. I think taking less oxycontin also helps with that. Sorry for the long post. I'm so glad I found this forum as I learned so much and met such kind people. Thank you all of you!

Last edited:
Hi @lotusbuds .
I recall that the first ten days, I was struggling and not sure what I had gotten myself into!
I'm sorry you had that intense pain at hospital, I had a few hours of that approximately 12 hours after surgery and it took a bit to get the situation back under control!:blackcloud:
Glad you also got good news on incision being clear...so now it's just slow and steady and let your body do all the healing.:) :-) (:
Hope you are still icing like mad...it will help with the pain and is a great anti-inflammatory!:ice:
All temporary was my mantra and it really helped.
If you feel you will still need some pain meds, ask OS if they will consider Tramadol as it, in combination with Tylenol, has shown to be helpful to many recovering hippies.
Things will keep getting better and you are doing just fine.
Hope today is a Good Day!:SUNsmile:

Hi @lotusbuds
Those early days aren't good but they are behind you now. I found from about 3 weeks I made some big steps forward.
I would say take all the help you can get from others in those early days. Sleep/nap when you want to and dont overdo things. Patience is a great virtue for hip replacements.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery

thank you thank you thank you Jaycey, Layla, Mojo333, Carriemay60, Granny6, GrannyC, Bionic, SurreyGirl, 51desoto, KathyB, Debru4, S00zd.

@Mojo333 I was taking Tramadol with Tylenol before surgery and even the day of up till 7am and it helped. I was given a prescription for more when I was discharged from hospital. When I saw the OS last week he said to take it in a week or 2 so I assume he meant after I stop oxycontin. I totally forgot about that until you mentioned it how they are related. I was taking 12 oxycontin per day and on Thursday took 10 with a lot of pain, then a day at 8 and then a day at 7 and today so far only 3. After the first 2 days its getting easier to wean. I'll likely get the renewal by the end of the week. I used Traumeel cream on these 2 bruises that have been there for over a week and on my swollen right thigh and today it I is hurting less and looks better. Never used it before. I also have tingling in my fingers and numbness for the last few days which is from the Rollator and leaning on it. I have had carpal tunnel surgery over 20 years ago on each wrist so the symptoms seem the same.
I ordered some biking gloves with gel to see if that helps and if not I will order a gel cover for the handles I saw online. Anyone else had this issue?
Thanks!

:flwrysmile: Happy to see you coming out of the fog and feeling a bit more yourself. I am very impressed with how you are coping with it all.

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis as well as the OA so the crutches, walker and cane really stress my joints in my wrists and hands and even my shoulder joints. I didn't know about the gel handle covers so will look into that. Hopefully, I won't have any weight bearing restrictions which will make it a bit easier for me.

Do you have weight bearing restrictions? I’m wondering if that is why you are leaning so hard on the walker. I wouldn’t get too carried away on covers for the handles as most likely you will only need the walker for a short time and then move to a cane. If you don’t have any weight bearing restrictions, then it would most likely be used more for balance rather than to take pressure off your hip. I’m not familiar with Tramadol. I only needed the OxyContin for a few days (I was very, very lucky :) and then switched to Extra Strength Tylenol. The Tylenol had not helped me at all prior to surgery but it worked well post op.

It sounds like you are doing so well. Now that you have made it out past that initial surgery pain, doesn’t it all feel pretty miraculous that they can replace our joints like that? I’m nearly 2 yrs out and nearly every time I park in a parking lot to go to the store, I think about how wonderful it is to walk to the store pain free. I used to park as close as I could and then grab a shopping cart as soon as I walked through the door so I could lean on it.

I'm happy to read you're doing better, you seem to be coming around and noticing progress.
Each week will get better and better. It's exciting to think about moving forward without the limitations and mostly without the horrid pain. Keep up the good work.
Hugs
@lotusbuds

@Carriemay60 I have no weight bearing restrictions. I ended up buying gloves with gel pads online. They are working but only about 50%. It helps a lot but I still have the tingling. You may want to try that. @GrannyC I agree. I realize I won't be on the walker that long and I borrowed this fabulous Rollater from a friend so bought the biking gloves instead. I haven't been on my bike for 3 years but hope to use it again one day and these will come in handy. I think I am putting too much weight on the handles. Likely all my weight. I can stand easily but never walk without the rollator. Re Pain control: I am proud of myself as I love the oxycontin. It immediately takes away the pain and I don't feel any side effects. I went from 12 a day for 2 weeks and then on Friday down to 10 and now I take 6 per day. I also do take 2 500 mg Tylenols 3 times a day which I did before surgery and it helped for an hour or so.
I always parked close to the store for the last 3 years and have a temporary handicap sticker. I also would get the shopping cart right away and put my cane in it. I think this surgery is a miracle and although it was bloody painful and hard the first 5 days its worth it a thousand times over.
@Layla thanks! I overdid it today! I don't know what I was thinking. I've been doing so well and not overdoing it walking but taking good care of myself at home. I am due for a color on my hair and the hairdresser sold me some product to do myself. My husband drove me there today as I thought why not. There was no one else there as Monday mornings she does other things in the salon and it usually only takes an hour and 15 minutes max. For some reason it took her 2 hours. I had so much pain on the drive home that my leg went numb I think. I had 2 naps this afternoon and iced a lot. I am now realizing I let vanity get in the way of my healing. I won't be going out again for awhile. Thanks for listening.

That all sounds good, except for the hair appt :hairpulling:. But you didn’t hurt anything and it probably gave you a more positive outlook. If we feel we look better, we tend to feel better I think. :yes!: You did the right thing to come home and nap and ice.

My OS had a PT come to my house several times during the first ten days or so. She was wonderful. She was almost more like an occupational therapist in some ways as she showed me how to do things like get in and out of vehicle (we had a pickup truck at the time), best way to do the two steps down to my sewing area and how best to use my walker and then cane. I was using cane in wrong hand prior to surgery if you can believe that. :chinstroke: She also showed me I could get on my stationary vike and pedal forward as far as I could and then pedal in reverse as far as I could -then repeat. She adjusted the height of my walker and for the life of me I don’t remember the guideline. I’m wondering if there is any possibility your walker is too low, making it more tempting to lean on rather than using it for balance?? If no one like a PT or nurse adjusted it for you, it might be worth checking it out.

I’m wondering if there is any possibility your walker is too low, making it more tempting to lean on rather than using it for balance?? If no one like a PT or nurse adjusted it for you, it might be worth checking it out.
I agree here! They adjusted mine at the medical supply and it was different than how we would have done it. You should be able to pop into any medical supply place to get that checked or PT.

I was using cane in wrong hand prior to surgery if you can believe that
Me too!! Did I ever feel stupid when I found out because the right way makes much more sense! :old:

Correct height on the walker: with your arm extended down, the handle should be at wrist height. To check height, with your hand placed on the hand grip, your elbow should be flexed 20-30°

I have the Rollator as high as it will go and there is nothing more I can do. Its the same height as the 2 wheeled walker and I don't want to go back to that. I did some hand exercises I found online and am trying to think where my hand splints I had made when I had carpal tunnel before that surgery. They were molded to my arms and are wonderful. I know I kept them but have no idea where they are. Too bad. Today I tried walking with just touching the tips. A bit better. I have had home PT 2 x week for a total of 3 weeks ending on Friday. She has been most helpful with practical almost occupational therapist kind of things around the house. Today she wanted me to try walking with my cane. I feel totally stable with this rollator but failed at walking without my old limp and compensating ways. I froze. So we decided just to leave it for now.

@lotusbuds Different people move to a cane at different times but it will come. A lot depends on what condition we were in prior to surgery. You may have to really concentrate on your gait for a while, even while you are using your walker, in order to leave that limp behind. It is SO VERY easy to revert to the limp even though our hip doesn’t really hurt any more. You can think in your mind - heel, toe, heel, toe, and keep repeating with each step. Eventually you will loose the limp. It might be good to try that even now while you are still on the walker.

Here you are at 3 weeks already! How times flies when we’are having a good time :heehee: Hang in there and keep right on healing. You are doing great! :flwrysmile::yes!::flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads