THR lotusbuds' recovery thread

OP
OP
lotusbuds

lotusbuds

senior
Country
United States United States
thank you everyone for your kind words. I am not an example believe me of someone who had surgery and was out walking and hiking in 3-4 months. It has taken time and looking at me its really only this week I am walking with little pain BUT that is my opposite knee not my hip. So my surgery was & is successful so hang it there everyone just starting your journey. Its worth it. @Debru4 I am so happy to have the hot tub as its been so cold and rainy this winter. I wear a shower cap in it when it rains. I am able to do bicycling with my legs and legs raised and kicks so it really stretches me out. Only thing is I haven't mastered getting in very well. Working on that. And the way I enter ended up really hurting my operated hip muscles. Not the hip joint but a lot of pain in the upper muscles. PT told me to change that so now it's better but still have to figure out another way which may be sitting on a narrow edge and swinging legs over. Its sunken off the end of the deck. Anyways grateful to have it. Have a good Sunday everyone.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: @lotusbuds
It's nice to hear from you. Thanks for stopping by. It seems you're doing well. Some recoveries do take longer than others but certainly no shame in that.
Congrats on the weight loss. It's encouraging that your knee is feeling better also. I'll bet swimming and weight loss will continue to help with any knee pain you're dealing with.

Happy Eleven Month Anniversary! May 2020 be a great year for you.
Stop back and say hi on your One Year Anniversary.
Until then...only the best to you! :)

Debru4

graduate
Country
Hi Leslie---Always so nice to hear from you. You always are honest, realistic, and positive! I think it's so important that people on the forum realize that while we all want to be the one who has the fastest, easiest recovery, the truth is that it can take a lot longer and still have a good outcome. For those who do have an easier recover, the truth is that is mostly a result of good luck, and not any thing we did right and others did wrong. And as you and I have both found, so many things can happen concurrently, so while our hip might be great, we end up with knee, or back, or wrist, or shoulder, etc. pain. That's life. Thank you for sharing your truth about recovery. :loveshwr:

I remain hugely jealous of you and that hot tub. Such a funny image of you sitting in it with your shower cap on!:heehee: Yesterday it was 73 degrees here in Loveland. Today it is snowing with temps in the teens. Those 50-60 degree temperature swings are crazy. Last year I had a lot more discomfort with the cold/snow/barametric pressure changes than I have this year. This year I am mainly feeling it in my back which has some arthritis, but not so much around my femur/implant/leg like I did last year.

I was thinking about your trouble getting in and out of the water---is there any way you could back into it? I don't quite know your set up, but the first time i got into a hot springs pool after my surgery I couldn't access the step area, and I didn't feel able to sit on the side and jump/slide forward. So i did the "toddler going down the steps" move and turned around and slowly slid in on my stomach. It was pretty easy. (Relatively speaking-haha!)

If I won the lottery I would buy a hot tub AND have a daily massage to work all those aches and pains out. It always feels so good after that....far better than having to exercise myself.:loll:

OP
OP
lotusbuds

lotusbuds

senior
Country
@Debru4 Thank you so much for your kind words.
Well I hope you win the lottery and I too would agree daily massages would be so amazing and helpful in feeling good and for the pain. I haven't had one in over a year and miss my PT doing manual work.
The weather changes in Colorado are pretty extreme to be that hot then cold again. Here (near Seattle) its been raining for over a month and that is very dark. Then we had a week of snow and I was homebound for 5 days loving it. Now its cold again but we had a little sun. Crazy winter for this area. I only wear the shower cap if it is raining..ha ha it is funny to look at.
Thanks for thinking of ideas for me to get in the tub. I can't imagine going in backwards as the surface is slippery. Last summer I did go down backwards at the outdoor pool I go to as it was the easiest so I know how to do that. I love the image but totally get it on how you went in last summer. When I sit on the edge it feels too narrow to really sit on but that may be an easy way to do it once I get more comfortable. I tried going in with my hip leg first but that felt awkward but going to work on that too. Then I would swing the non operated leg with my sore knee behind but then there are some wiggles that have to happen...its all worth it once I get in so for now I go in the way that feels easiest and more natural but that sometimes hurts my hip. In the muscles not the groin or operated area. too much information sorry.
I hope your arthritis in your back feels better soon. Glad its not in your femur area any more. By the way I still do the Feldenkrais classes but that being said I missed the last 3. I go through phases of liking it a lot to just feeling a bit bored in it. Its still a great time to slow down and be aware of my movements so I will continue when it starts again in March. Did you ever find a class close by? or look online for a DVD?
take care and feel good.
Leslie

Debru4

graduate
Country
Hi Leslie---I've heard from others in the Seattle area that you've had a pretty extreme "winter" so far with so much rain. We've had a ton of snow here the last couple of weeks. Monday it was in the low 70's and Tuesday down in the teens. Snow on and off all week. Earlier in the season I tend to be less confident with the first few snows, but by this point in the winter I don't mind so much. (Unless it's icy, and that's a whole other story.)

it's interesting to see all the ways that we figure out to be mobile and adjust not only while we have injuries or illness, but also when we are recovering from surgery.

My goal to be more active this winter has yet to be achieved....I did look into the Feldenkrais but classes within 30 minutes were much too expensive , and the one that was affordable was much too far away to be realistic. (over 50 minutes each way) Do you do well with dvd exercising? I have several I have bought over the years and not done very well staying with.

Hope you are continuing to improve! :loveshwr:

OP
OP
lotusbuds

lotusbuds

senior
Country
Hi @Debru4 Well we finally got some sun after 80 days of rain some snow but mostly rain. Dark long winter this year. Hope you are getting some too. I finally started my walking with 2 trekking poles again. Not too far at first. My knee is mostly good the last 3 weeks but I can't walk far without starting to limp and some pain so going slowly. I do have 1-2 painful days out of the blue and I think or hope its from overdoing the exercises I do at home or PT. I am frustrated a lot but as long as it is improving that is a good sign. My hip still has some numbness but so much less as I've said before. Hope one day it's gone. I do get muscle pain in that hip but that's fine with me as long as its not joint pain. Its from the exercises as some muscles don't get used enough.
I do have DVD's but don't seem to use them which is silly. Is that what you are saying too? I got a bit bored in my last Feldenkrais sessions to be honest and missed 3 in a row. it starts up again in March and I paid for 4 so will return to see if I get some benefit from it this time. Sometimes I wonder if its the teacher or movements but I will go back. You pay as you go but I bought a package and have a year to use it so that's ok. I am lucky the price is so low ($12 as session) as usually they are much higher and it sounds like the same for you. I hope you find something closer. I have never asked if you like pools as that is the best overall thing for me.
Hope you are continuing to heal and feel good.
Take good care
Leslie

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hey Leslie, it's nice to read your update. Please don't forget about the power of ice when you're dealing with pain or discomfort. Also great to use preventatively after exercising. You know the drill. :ice:
Happy Thursday...gateway to the weekend. I hope you have a great one!
@lotusbuds

OP
OP
lotusbuds

lotusbuds

senior
Country
Hello fellow hipsters! Well hard to believe but one year ago today on March 01 I had my anterior hip replacement. OMG! Believe me I feel so blessed and lucky this surgery is possible. My life has improved so much with the pain gone in my right hip. Hang in there all of you at the beginning of your journey as it only gets better. The ups and downs are normal so remember to rest, ice and take good care of yourself.
Thank you to all of you who have supported me on my healing. Many are not here posting anymore but I will never forget there kindness and to all of you moderators and others who are still here a huge hug and thank you!

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Happy One Year @lotusbuds! Such a good feeling to pretty much be at the other end of this journey. I remember watching the beginning of your recovery from afar and then joined shortly thereafter. Watching you and the others around that time have me the courage to get mine scheduled. :friends:

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
Happy One Year Leslie!! :wow:

We had a great group to recover with. So thrilled you are doing so well. It is a miracle that this is possible. Hope you have a fun Spring! Hugs friend. xxx

Hip4life

graduate
Country
Happy One Year Anniversary! Just celebrated mine Friday, as well. Yes, @Fit4Family we did have a great recovery group, didn’t we? There really are the most wonderful people here to share this technically marvelous and life renewing journey with. I’m right there with you @lotusbuds in feeling a huge debt of gratitude. Continued blessings of health and good life, dear hipster friend. ❤

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: Happy One Year Anniversary!
What a thoughtful post from a sweet woman. :) Thanks for encouraging those following behind you. I’m sure they’ll find your words uplifting and reassuring.
May you continue to notice improvement and have a wonderful Spring / Summer 2020,
Hugs to you, Leslie! :friends:
@lotusbuds

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Richardtdy
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom