TKR Loosening of implant.

Sure.
2EBBACEA-45A9-4CB9-B0B9-C3ED5A4EE76C.jpeg

Thank you for reposting your photo. It looks like it's healing well.

I wonder if my patella button is loose, though I’m not in a lot of actual pain.

It makes sense that it wouldn’t show on an X-ray, as plastic won’t, and as far as I know, patella buttons are plastic.

Josephine once said that they used to put a thin gold wire around the button so that would show on an X-ray, indicating the button was there. I don’t know if they still use gold, but I can definitely see an oval line on my patella on my X-ray.

In my 2+ years on Bonesmart you are the first member I’ve come across with this issue.

If you enlarge my profile picture you can clearly see the outline around my patella button, though not the button itself.

On the CT scan, it clearly showed a gap between my patella and the plastic button. The thing I’m most upset about is the lousy job the first surgeon did. The patella button was too small, so bone was protruding over the button causing an impingement. However, that wasn’t the only problem: the other plastic component on my tibia was too small also, and my knee was not aligned correctly. The second surgery was performed properly. The patella button was enlarged, the other plastic component was enlarged, and there was a post placed between my femur and tibia components. I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to finally have that excruciating pain over with.
I don’t know how to look at your profile picture, sorry.

I’m so glad your knee is fixed correctly now and so sorry about the first one.

@bookread, I am having a CT scan of my Left knee on Dec. 18th. Do I need to have contrast with this scan or is without fine? If I have it with contrast, they want me to fast 4 hrs. before.....I don't want to do that!

@ Jockette, I don't think so. I didn't ask. I believe it is iodine they inject via IV. My internist ask me if I want contrast and I said, why not!

I just found out I have to drink something plus get something thru an IV. They said I would have to fast even if it was without contrast! :nah: :gaah::bawl:

Last edited:
I had my CT scan done without contrast.

@bookread, did you have to fast for 4 hrs prior to the CT scan? Did you have to drink any prep?

No. Since I did not have any contrast, I did not have to fast or drink anything.

Update:
It’s been 6 months now since my knee revision and ..... I ran down the hallway at school today. I actually ran! No pain!!
Mind you, I didn’t sprint all out, but .... I ran! First time ever in about two years. I was ecstatic! Yahoo!
Now, I need to gather up my courage to see if I can go down steps without pain. I will try that tomorrow.

Yippee! What a great report!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562