Lounge Doctor

Revision THR Loose cup.

Spadude69

Country
United States United States
I had a THR 4 months ago. I took it easy for the first month. My Dr said walking was my best therapy, so that's what I did. I didn't over do it. I was using a cane after 2 or 3 weeks and used that until around 6 weeks. Most of my pain went away except in the lower buttock area. I still have a limp, it doesn't hurt that much when I walk or stand. It is very painful when I sit and laying on my back. Forget about laying on that side.

I have to take a Norco 5-3 time a day, because my pain level is moderate.

My surgeon will not refill the pain pills so I have to go my primary doctor (Kaiser) for a refill. I have a appointment in a couple of days. I have to schedule a MRI for another issue. So I'm going to ask for them to do my hip at that time. Its confusing because I read different problems it could be.

Thanks,
Steve

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave:
Oh my stars...I hate you are having pain. When exactly was your surgery date?
Are you thinking piriformis?
We could tag Nurse Josephine but she will want to know when surgery was and have some questions for you!

OP
OP
S

Spadude69

Country
I had my surgery April 15 2018. I don't think it is piriformis, because I didn't over work it. I took it easy. I also have swelling in there area.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Let's ask the Nurse Guru.
I'll tag her by using the @ sign

@Josephine
Think you could lend a hand?

anny

graduate
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
@Josephine ....is it still likely to be Piriformis if the deep ache is when sitting too long ie long car journey, but DOESN'T hurt with walking (walking actually relieves it).....I'm about 5 months and the last couple of weeks have developed an ache in bum and down back of thigh that starts about 30 mins after sitting and builds up and up till I have to get up and walk. I do have ITB but it doesn't feel like that (prob different area anyway)....not overdoing it, probably being too lazy!

Sorry to jump in on your thread with my q, @Spadude69 ..............your problem sounds similar to mine so thought we could share :wink: btw welcome to the forum, it's a great resource and support :)

OP
OP
S

Spadude69

Country
No problem Anny Did you ever get an MRI? My surgeon told me it's just my body getting used to it. Does the outside of your leg feel hard like a board?

Last edited:

anny

graduate
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
No I've never had an MRI.....haven't been to the dr with it cos I assume it's all part of the long healing, so grin and bear it (and a bit of whingeing too :whistle:)....I've got my next THR in about 4 wks so I'll mention it to the surgeon if it's still a problem then. My thigh doesn't feel hard overall, but the scar area is still pretty numb and feels a bit stiff, and sometimes I get a pain in the scar area, but it comes and goes and I can't link it to any particular movement. My most identifiable problem at the moment is knowing that after about 20-30 mins sitting I'll get that ache....don't know if it's the pressure of the seat or lack of movement or what, but it's a nuisance on a 2hr car trip! This op is definitely a lesson in patience :umm:

OP
OP
S

Spadude69

Country
I still have a lot swelling in the area. I was supposed to see my primary doctor today but got a call and said he was out today. I'm out of pain meds. Spending time in the hot tub. That works great for the pain but it doesn't last long. My pain level did drop a little every day.

Eman85

supremo
Country
If you're swelling ice would be better than heat. I still get a little discomfort when sitting certain ways, not really pain just a soreness. I figure all of the other hundreds of odd feelings have gone away or changed so this will too in time.

OP
OP
S

Spadude69

Country
I do hot and cold. I take mobic for inflammation.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Well this is good news! Sounds like you turned a corner. Easy does it for a few days.

anny

graduate
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
That's great @Spadude69 :yay: now if only you could work out what you did you could market it and make a fortune (and a lot of friends :wink:).....stay cautious for a while....don't want any backtracking!

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
gold
is it still likely to be Piriformis if the deep ache is when sitting too long ie long car journey, but DOESN'T hurt with walking (walking actually relieves it)
Absolutely!

InkedMarie

graduate
Country
I’m pretty sure I have piriformis as well. It almost always only happens when I am in the car but not just on a longer ride, sometimes in the 15min drive to the local island we like to look for deer at. I purchased a purple gel cushion, can’t recall the exact name but it’s a huge help. Royal Purple maybe.

Anyway, @Josephine what can one do for piriformis? If it matters, I am almost 7 weeks post op LTHR and just over a week pre op for RTKR.

Bumblebee

senior
Country
My thigh doesn't feel hard overall, but the scar area is still pretty numb and feels a bit stiff, and sometimes I get a pain in the scar area, but it comes and goes and I can't link it to any particular movement. My most identifiable problem at the moment is knowing that after about 20-30 mins sitting I'll get that ache....don't know if it's the pressure of the seat or lack of movement or what, but it's a nuisance on a 2hr car trip!
Me too. All of the above. Sitting on my ice pack for an hour at a time helps.

anny

graduate
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
and it's thank you from me too, Josephine!....heading off to the freezer now for an icepack to sit on (pity hot water bottles don't work the same :sigh:)

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Panda1
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom