BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Loopback17 Recovery Story<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Loopback17, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Loopback17

Loopback17 new member

United States United States
    Hello, Wow I'm so grateful I found this feed... I'm going into week four, and have suffered more mentally with the what's??? And when's??? Reading, reading all the different post, I'm not feeling as blue... I'm gathering my hope back... Understanding the healing process, will keep me patience... I found this site looking for information about sleep after tkr... Which no one told me about... All I was told before I left the hospital was you are gonna wonder why you did this, don't get discourage... Ok!!! Anyone just beginning this journey, read the forms posted here, we aren't alone in the dark of our sleepless nights... We aren't the same, but had the same trauma done to our body... Recovery will come slowly, and I read we aren't in control, our new knee is in control... Feeling ready for the next four weeks... Thanks again for all the positive, straight forward post...

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@Loopback17 Welcome to Bonesmart!

We would love to get to know you better and support you in your recovery. How about starting a recovery thread of your own where you will get more responses than in this one. Let me know if you need help starting one.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@Loopback17
    Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!
    You'll notice that I have moved your newest post and started your recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you have your own recovery thread:
    • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
    • With your own recovery thread, you will see the posts and advice others have left for you.
    • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
    So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
    If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
    How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lilli215

Lilli215 senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi @Loopback believe it or not you are having a perfectly normal recovery experience, I class the first four weeks as brutal, then everything begins to move along on a more positive note. I’m on my second TKR and this time round has been as brutal as first time but at least I know that in a few months new knee willbe well settled in and functioning. This is a great site for support and info, I benefited greatly from it first time round:egypdance:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @Loopback17 - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lindylee

Lindylee graduate

No-one tells you about the lack of sleep do they? It would be so helpful if it was included in all the other information we're given. It would save much stressing at being awake all night!

It does get easier after 4 and weeks and that can be when we (me!) can overdo it. Week 5 was not good, but Week 6 is sooo much better and I'm determined not to make the same mistake.

Good luck with your recovery. Take it easy and listen to your knee.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Loopback17,
    Please post your surgery date, a moderator will add it to your signature for you. Thanks!

Here's your copy of the Knee Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Seattle123

Seattle123 new member

Welcome! I am 12 weeks post op this Thursday. The first four weeks stink. Each week thereafter gets a bit better, then at least for me, the healing speeds up. You can do a bit more, the pain decreases and overall I felt I didn’t have to listen to my knee as much as it began listening to me. Not that it’s squash games and half marathons, it’s more taking a nice long walk, climbing stairs with manageable discomfort, small victories like that. For me sleeping still isn’t great but it’s much better. I can sleep on my operated side with just a small pillow for support. I got a bit down from time to time but the more I can do, the less that happens. Keep up the good work! Soon you will be the 12 week survivor giving the 4 weekers good vibes!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Loopback17

Loopback17 new member

Surgery date: February 7, 2019...

10. Loopback17

Loopback17 new member

Question: I not sure if my girl (knee) is coming alive, but I'm having more discomfort this week than the last two??? Feels so tight, like it's gonna break... (It's bending, more without pain) pins and needles, have the numbness on exterior side, which seems to have gone down the calf more???

Anyone experience this??? Especially the discomfort, I've been doing great on Tylenol... But this aching??? Last night wasn't allowing any sleep... Help I'm so uneducated in this TKR recovery... Thought I had read, researched was somewhat informed... Not... Thank you!

11. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

@Loopback17 you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons
    1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
    2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
    3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if necessary

There was also this notice in the post that Celle left earlier with the recovery guidelines
    While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thanks so much for complying with this. :)

12. Josephine

Don't worry - we'll soon educate you!
    It's far too early for you to be doing on just Tylenol. Much too early.
    That's very normal - read this Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Loopback17

Loopback17 new member

Sure I would talk with you... I'll answer some questions...

14. Josephine

Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
    ai63.tinypic.com_eta39s.jpg

4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
    This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
    (which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
    - how many sessions you do each day
    - enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
    etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
    - how many times a week
    - enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
    etc., etc.

15. Loopback17

Loopback17 new member

Sorry about the thread...

16. Loopback17

Loopback17 new member

I'm heading into week ten and very discouraged about how slow I am. It took three weeks to get quads working so PT said I'm behind. The stiff knee is making it very hard to walk correctly. I also need right knee replaced so I'm training her. Just need someone to tell me it's gonna be alright. I've been in PT and watched the others behind me rolling along.
    Happy for them, blue for me. Thanks for listening my whining.

17. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    @Loopback17 - you will see that I have moved your post from bland9's thread to your own thread.

By putting the above post in his thread, you were disrupting the thread, which should be about his own recovery.
    Forum etiquette: being polite when posting

Please post any updates or questions about your recovery in your own thread. We will see them there, as someone checks all the new posts every day.
    If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
    How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Just in case you couldn't find your thread, here are the instructions on finding your thread,
    How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on. Please do that, so we don't have to keep moving your posts and merging your threads.

By not coming back to your own thread, you have missed things.

Josephine posted questions for you to answer. Answering them will give Josephine sufficient information to help you, so please go back a couple of posts, and do that.

18. Loopback17

Loopback17 new member

19. Josephine

Sorry's okay but please answer my questions!

20. Loopback17

Loopback17 new member

Josephine

1. Pain 6. Finally sleeping at night two weeks.

2. Hydrocodone/acetaminophen 5-325, methocarbamol 750 mg. Take one each at night. 3 Advils, and one 500 mg Tylenol a day.

3. between mod/slight Top of knee outer side puffy

4. ROM now at 100, extension 5

5. three to four times a day, for 20 minutes

6. While I ice, I elevate

7. Activity level, everything just slower, don't vacuum

8. PT now two times a week... Same exercises as I do at home, and they work with me, pushing hard, not very comfortable... They use heat, and ice at the end... All exercises are for three minutes
    Quad set, short Arc quad, long Arc quad, lying down/sitting in chair heel slides, gastric stretch, knee extension, bike, lung on op knee... I do these at home twice a day...

Thank you, won't forget how to locate my thread...