Revision THR Looks like maybe a revision will be needed...

Aww, @chalcedonian1
Your update made me emotional, in a good way. I'm so very happy for you.
A feeling of joy and optimism shines through your words.
I know how difficult this journey has been for you with it's worries and uncertainty.
Grab that Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free card and run with it.
It's your time and your turn for the happy ending.
Thanks for sharing your journey and this uplifting news with all of us.
God Bless!

Great news! So happy for you that everything is progressing toward a positive outcome, and faster than expected, too! Also nice to hear independent confirmation from a surgeon regarding what we all already knew regarding PT.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the nature of your groin pain? Is it pain while walking, while doing hip flexure, or constant?

Your experience is a tremendous boost to my spirits. Every day I'm becoming more optimistic as well.

Oh, and by the way, I hope you enjoy the upcoming wedding event.

@TerryB_TX The groin pain occurs sometimes when I stand up from bed, at times when I walk, and when I do those hateful abductor and adductor PT exercises which I haven't done much of because these exercises do promote this pain. It is a dull somewhat constant pain, not quick or stabbing, and not rifle shots like before. Sometimes it is only uncomfortable and not really full-on pain. It does not hurt at all when I am completely stationary. It feels like it would be soft tissue pain, but I am the worst judge of that because I attributed all my pains to soft tissue problems for three years. The revision surgeon said that revision patients have more groin pain than those with a first time implant, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. And if it doesn't clear in 3 months I will not panic, as I recognize that time frame is a generality.

@Layla Thank you for your kind words. I am posting these follow-ups because I really have not allowed myself much joy or relief to date, nor have I really believed I will be one of those "I don't feel pain any more in my hip" type of persons. I have done my best to remain as neutral-towards-positive as I can be, and not set myself up for failure. I believe in data and facts, not sheer hope and luck. So it is quite wonderful to have a doctor look at my x-rays and believe that I will be well again. While I am not there yet (4 weeks from surgery is really not a lot of time), the veil of darkness lifts slightly, enough for me to see there is still a sun shining out there. It is a very nice feeling, and not one I have dared to feel even a little bit until now. So onwards and upwards.

Wow, @chalcedonian1 what fantastic news; I am so happy for you!

May you heal and go from strength to strength!

I must say, I am quite intrigued by the concept of a revision surgeon. Does this mean that he *only* does revisions, and no virgin hip replacements?

Most importantly, this revision surgeon said, as has @Josephine and others on this site, that surgeons have now found that PT does absolutely nothing to help replaced hips. That is a direct quote. Another quote: Physical therapists will in fact hurt you, and set you back; it is just not recommended. So he did NOT and will not prescribe ANY PT for me.
Well 'woop woop' for me, eh? I so rarely get feedback like this, @chalcedonian1 so your post is a special treat for me! Thank you!

@Harryn1 No, a "revision surgeon" is one who does enough surgeries a year to qualify him/her to be a very good revision expert (I think Josephine somewhere on Bone Smart weighed in on how many revisions a year would do that) . Those who do revisions also do "virgin" hip replacements, and the virgin hip replacements probably out number the revisions. But if one has a hip surgeon who only does a few revisions a year, I would run in the opposite direction!

So so so Happy for you!:egypdance:
You so deserve this great news.:loveshwr:
Your persistence and determination to not give up on getting the right solution for those terrible series of unfortunate events provide hope for many with struggles.
Onward dear @chalcedonian1

Don't get cocky on us now...but :wowspring:

Dear @chalcedonian1, I just finished reading your thread and, wow, was tired by the time I'd finished. You have been through so much physically and emotionally. It has been very helpful to read all the information you have shared, particularly regarding the anti-inflammatories and how it affects bone growth, writing down information asap after it has been received, and the differences in pain perception between surgeries etc. Thank you for taking the time, with all you have been through, to post, not only to gain information, but to impart information to folks going through revisions, virgin hip surgeries and other hip related issues. It has been so valuable as I approach my own bilateral THR next month.
I wish you continued healing and peace of mind, as the sunshine continues to rise in your sky :SUNsmile:

@Alitm I am glad the thread has been of some help to you and perhaps others. I will certainly be following your bilateral journey next month, sending only good thoughts!

I am almost at the 6 week mark since my revision surgery. This past week had its frustrations. I didn't want to write about them while they were happening because I wanted to see if they would abate-- and indeed they did, so I am assuming I joined the over-did-it-club, though what I did hardly seemed to be overdoing it to me, jeez!

So, I have started driving, which has been absolutely fine. I didn't need to lift my leg into or out of the car with my hands, and I know how to get in without twisting in the wrong direction. Hitting the brake was easy, so no issues there. All good.

My mistake however was NOT bringing my walking stick with me and blithely thinking I would walk in and around and through a few stores and in parking lots without it. I went to three stores, two parking lots and it was very HOT and disgustingly humid, there was a hot weather advisory which I hadn't gotten the memo about, and I lost energy very quickly as the stores were not well air conditioned. My hip did not like walking over and around the potholes and little hills and valleys either without any support at all. The shopping cart provided less than minimal help. By the time I got home, I laid down on the bed exhausted and annoyed---will I ever have my energy back and WHEN will I be able to walk without the walking stick for good distances? My hip hurt, it was actually throbbing, and I felt like I was swimming through molasses when I walked. My husband then reminded me that my surgeon told me a week ago that I could continue to use the stick for 2-8 weeks, and to just feel free to not use it when I feel I don't need it. The surgeon, dropping hints no doubt, said I might be on the more conservative side and continue to use it from time to time, and of course that translated to my mind as kind of a team challenge, i.e., "conservative! HA, I don't need to be so slow, I don't need to use the stick, I don't want to be a wuss....". OMG, that was fairly arrogant of me and I paid the price.

Well, I rested and iced for a day and half after this not so great foray, and then this morning went out with my walking stick to stores, a mall and a restaurant for lunch, came home, baked a homemade cake with frosting, and made dinner with my husband, and then watched golf sitting on a couch I haven't been able to sit in for over 3 years without pain. So it has been over 13 hours--- no naps and no stopping except to eat. The weather cooperated, it rained and then was delightfully cooler. I am now getting ready to ice my hip, but I am pleased to say it is only very slightly sore, no big deal at all. Using the stick was clearly the big difference, so I learned my lesson--have it handy so I can use it when I need it. I actually don't have to put my weight on it every step, just every few steps, so that is also progress, but I liked having it with me today. And when I got home, I didn't use it at all (I actually forgot, home seems easier to me!) and I had NO limp while moving around my house. I went up and down the stairs leg over leg (going up is slightly harder right now leg over leg, but I am able to do it a couple times a day). I predict I will be tired tomorrow, but my hip has felt good all day, and I am not yet fully wiped out. I didn't feel any jolting movements when I was walking, or sharp sudden pains when shifting from one leg to another, or when getting up as I did with the loose implant. The groin pain I have been experiencing since the revision has also lessened, but the surgeon said it will most likely be here to stay for a few more months, on and off, so it might be fluctuating. I don't have any such pain tonight, even after a full day.

@Layla Last weekend I couldn't even imagine moving around for 13 hours, and as I mark my progress by weekends as you suggested, I can see there has been real improvement even with the slight setback this week. I just have to be patient and not get ahead of myself-- no small task as this healing unfolds! And I guess it really is 1 step forward, 2 steps back from time to time, but overall, I still feel so much better than I did before my revision (except for my day and a half recovery from my own stupidity this week!). I marvel at people who are able to go out walking great distances in their recovery already, I think because I had to be sedentary for so long so as to not provoke further pain and looseness in the implant, I need more time to rebuild stamina and energy levels. When the heat calms down I will go to the gym to ride the recumbent bike and use the elliptical, that will help my mind, body and soul--I can't work out at the gym when it is so humid.

So I still remain optimistic and I am becoming a bit more enthusiastic about this revision--I hope my general upward trajectory continues. I also hope everyone out there is doing well and improving too!

Glad you are willing to take your time with this recovery.
I know you are anxious to "get on with it" but you have been through alot and you will get there with patience.
Hope your day is sweet!:SUNsmile:

:hi:Just wondering how recovery was treating you friend!
Hope your weekend is wonderful!

Happy Saturday!
I'm so happy to read you're feeling improvement.
Sorry you experienced a setback. They happen easily enough.
You will feel a gradual increase in energy and stamina as I'm sure you did with your first surgery.
I'ts wonderful you're feeling optimistic. You have every reason to.
Your future looks bright!
@chalcedonian1

@Layla You are so right. I am definitely feeling an uptick in energy and stamina--I was going all day today since early this morning and just got in--no nap, did not need to lay down to rest, and went out to dinner with our son. I might be tired tomorrow but it was a very good day.

@Mojo333 I am soooo trying to remain patient! I walked today mostly without my walking pole, and I do see great improvement since last weekend. I can never really tell when I am overdoing until I feel the tiredness and pain afterwards, but I am trying to be careful and only gradually increase my activities.

The pains in my thigh are gone. I have had continuing pain in my groin but I am pleased to say that in the past two days there have been great stretches when it does not hurt at all. This is encouraging because it has taken awhile, and I figure if it happens for 2 days in a row it can and will happen more, so long as I do not put too much stress on my poor hip and leg. @clodaghcov I appreciate your advice and I am really trying not to hurry, I know steady wins the race!

All in I am pleased so far with my recovery. I still have twinges at the scar and under it from time to time, and when I get tired I do start to have a slight limp. However, when I am not tired, I can already walk with no lean or limp without any walking aide--albeit in smaller steps than I used to take and for short bursts; I presume my stride will go back to normal over time. I have no perception at all of any LLD, that has subsided completely. I will see my surgeon again in 2+ months, and I pray that this time around bone integration is progressing and will continue. I am not back to snuff yet, I have a lot of healing still to do, but I feel that with time there is a good chance I will get there. I still don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but each week shows progress.

:yes!: what a splendid update.
I am ever so happy for you.
Not even two months out and the light is already so bright at the end of the tunnel.

I know how hard it is to conjure up patience...especially since you used up so much of yours prior to this last surgery:sigh:

Onward...:egypdance:

@chalcedonian1 - I am following you along this journey. I love your attitude and matter of fact points. I'm having revision on the right on Sept 19. Scared and terrified :) And a huge thanks for the Ossur Cold Therapy info. I'm ordering one now :)

@Hipster63 I think buying the Ossur Cold Therapy unit is a great decision. I am still using mine even at 7 weeks, not because of swelling but because I want to keep inflammation minimized especially if I "exert" myself (I put that word in quotes, because I still have a way to go in my healing and exertion seems hardly that sometimes-- but one still feels the aftermath).

I understand the scared and terrified feeling, I felt that too. Regardless of the obvious fact that this is not minor surgery, I am relieved to have done this, and so far grateful for the outcome. I never imagined I would be free of the loose implant pains, I just couldn't fathom that, or perhaps I wouldn't let myself believe it because the first surgery had such unfortunate and painful results.

Once you choose your revision surgeon, the surgery itself and the recuperation period are not something you have any control over (except for making sure you are careful when moving, and paying attention to the BS mantra about PT -- my surgeon did not prescribe it beyond the few home visits to just make sure I was up and moving around, using crutches, walking every day for periods of time). There is some strange relief in not having control actually, which forced me to calm down as much as possible during healing. Obviously this surgery is not something we elect, but have to do to get better. I understood from my surgeon that a lot of revision statistics on the internet are from much older studies (one study that is often cited is from 2002, for example, which is a light-year back in surgical time), and the end results from his revisions at least are much, much better than those statistics which reflect all kinds of ages, cases and issues not relevant to me. So I tried to focus on that as much as possible beforehand, flagging a few times when my courage waned temporarily, but generally I tried to stay as measured as possible. There are many many cases on BS where revisions went fine and results were excellent. And as I said to another BS participant, if you had a major disease where the chances were 85-90%, or perhaps higher, that one surgery would cure most if not all of your problems, you would snap up that chance in a second. So the odds are definitely in your favor and that is good to remember. I will follow your pre-and post surgery thread, and I wish you only the best!

@chalcedonian1 - thank you! I need some hand holding that's for sure. I'm gaining strength in my glutes and quads everyday which helps with the limping. If I'm not limping, I think "hmm, do I really need this surgery" !!
My logical mindset knows that if left alone, the metal ball that is rubbing on my socket a little now, will be a huge problem later. And better to do this now than at a later, older age. I trust the revision surgeon but fearful of the outcome. I've lost 18 mos of my life because I'm so limited physically. All the months of recovery weakened my body, keeping me from things I used to do. I haven't been in a mall in 18 mos - and that's a huge change, ha ha!!
Thank you for all you contribute here. It's comforting to exchange knowledge and ideas with like minded folks :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back