Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

Standard Shoulder Replacement Looks like I'm going for a right total replacement in July.

tazzy13

Country
United States United States
Hello everyone, Guess I'll be joining you all in the near future, I have some family plans coming up, so putting my surgery off till July, Will get a cortisone shot in a couple weeks to help me get through till then. Not new to surgery had a thermal capsular shrinkage right shoulder 2002, left knee replacement in Dec. of 2005, left labrum repair in 2007, right knee in may of 2009, left hip in 2012. In nov. of 2014 went to have debridement and when they gave me the nerve block I went into respiratory failure and Vtac, spent 3 days in ICU. So needless to say no more nerve blocks for me I did have debridement in Novof 2019. She said she did all she could , but I'm bone on bone, so replacement here I come.I also have neck and back issues, cervical fusion c3-7 2006, plate and screws, c6-t2 2017,rods. Back l4-l5 2006, internal fusion L3-S2 rods 2018. SO like I said no stranger to surgery, but this one has me a bit worried as from what I've been reading you need to rely on you other parts to help compensate my left shoulder is getting close to my right as far as pain an range of motion goes.I think I will be using a hospital bed for recovery as I believe this will be better for me. Does anyone have any helpful hints for afterwards , any tricks would be appreciated.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Hi, @tazzy13.....welcome to the wonderful world of shoulders! Our numbers are growing here on BoneSmart and for the most part it seems people are doing really well with this type of joint replacement. I hope waiting won't cause you a lot of extra pain.

OP
OP
T

tazzy13

Country
We decided to cancel our cruise for may, due to COVID-19, I'm diabetic and have asthma, copd ,emphysema, Will call the surgeon monday and see if she can do me sooner, fingers crossed. Will let you know if I do. TY

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
You know, I think that makes good sense. I hope you had trip insurance so you can get a refund. But with the COPD and emphysema, you should guard against getting any type of respiratory illness whenever possible. Smart cookie!

momweb

graduate
Country
Hi @tazzy13, sounds like youre making the right decisions. besides the nerve block that failed me, i also have arthritis in every vertebrae. the neurosurgeon said ive done everything i can short of fusing l4-l5. l5-s1. ive had injections and ablations up the ying yang. since my rotator cuff surgery ive been sleeping with ice on my arm and ice behind my back. but...it works!! good luck to you..

OP
OP
T

tazzy13

Country
Thank you.there are many more surgeries I've not listed. my neck is plater from C3-C7 and rods from C6-T2, also lower back internal l4& L5, also posterior L4-S1. plus all the others you have had. Hope you are doing well.Take care momweb.

OP
OP
T

tazzy13

Country
Well with the corona virus going around my shoulder replacement is on hold. My question is has anyone used the CPM chair after their replacement, his is what my Doctor is ordering for me after my surgery,

momweb

graduate
Country
Thanks @tazzy13 , I also have arthritis in every vertebrae. i saw the neurosurgeon in december. i qualify for fusion l4-l5, l5-s1. back surgery is something i have no desire for. i just completed pt to work on building my core. i need to continue building but it did help. now i have my shoulder surgery to recoup from. one step at a time. any idea how long before you can have surgery?

OP
OP
T

tazzy13

Country
momweb, looks like maybe summer time, all depends on when they lift the ban on elective surgerys nothing I can do but wait and try and keep what range of motion I have. Wishing you the best on your recovery.

OP
OP
T

tazzy13

Country
wel now the elective surgeries can resume I will be having my right total shoulder replacement on June 23rd. Now I can get things ready.Take care,stay safe everyone.

OP
OP
T

tazzy13

Country
well they changed my date, I go in next tuesday on the 9th. Now I really need to put things in order,no time to dilly dally. stay safe all.

Last edited by a moderator:

SaraK

supremo
Country
Yay - glad you're getting in earlier but understand the issue with needing to prep more quickly! Do you live on your own or do you have someone with you? My younger son was supposed to stay with me for a week or so and then COVID hit. I was glad to have his help for a longer period. I could do most things for myself by a week out but it was the occasional thing like opening the jar, carrying the laundry basket, etc. that was so helpful (and definitely driving but we didn't do much of that).

If I had to say one thing that was more difficult than I expected, it would be dressing. I lived in very loose scrubs with elastic waist bands (shorts would work now) and flowing tunic style sleeveless shirts with no bra for the first couple of weeks. At that point, I was able to move the arm just a bit and that made dressing easier. My one rule was that there was NO WAY either of my son's was going to dress me other than socks and helping with the sling! :heehee:

Let me know if I can help with any questions for your prep!

OP
OP
T

tazzy13

Country
@SaraK. Thank you Sarak,My husband should be able to help, if I let him, I think what should make a big difference will be my doctor has ordered a CPM ( continuous ,passive, motion) chair , she wants me to use it 4-6 hours a day off and on. should prove interesting.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
@tazzy13 .... congratulations on your fast-approaching surgery! You will be the first BoneSmartie to use the CPM chair after shoulder surgery, so we'll count on you to report how that goes. Some photos would be nice too. My surgeon had me using a pulley and it worked very well to keep my shoulder moving each day. Hopefully the chair will be easy for you to use. Four to six hours a day seems like a lot, but maybe you can sneak a snooze or two while using it. :heehee:

SaraK

supremo
Country
That's one of the big differences between a replacement and a rotator cuff repair. You'll be encouraged to move early. I had to stay in a sling 24/7 for 6 weeks to give time for the tendon to knit together. Sounds like you'll have some good support. I guess the CPM machine will be a lot like the arm bike I used today except automated. Let us know how that goes.

We'll all be pulling for you!

OP
OP
T

tazzy13

Country
@Jamie... I get to use it how often I choose so if I wake up in the middle of the night I can use it then. I probably will only use it 20 mins at a time. will try and get some pictures.She has most of her patients use the CPM chair say the recovery goes smoother, wil be using it the first 6-8 weeks that's when I get to come out of the sling.Yea.Then I get to start therapy.If I thought my back can handle the chair longer then that would less times taking the sling off and on.Did you have the sling with the pillow,or a plain sling? I know mine will be with the bolster pillow.

OP
OP
T

tazzy13

Country
@SaraK , Hubby has been pretty good about helping out after my surgeries, sometimes to the point of bugging the heck out of me.LOL.but his intentions are there, I will get some breaks 2 days a week when he goes golfing, thank goodness. The CPM chair does alot of different passive range of motions,from what I've seen on line. They will come out and set it up on Monday. As soon as I can I will let you know how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Yes, and some photos of you using it would be beneficial for us too, if that's possible. You're our guinea pig....:heehee:. I didn't even know such a thing existed for shoulders until you mentioned it.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
AliMatt
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom