looks like i made it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow,I, like Carol am jealous AND inspired. You are doing amazing! So happy for you. Hope there is no after effects from those 50lb bags, but from the sounds of it there won't be. Onward and upward for you :) -Cathy

No problem, hijack away.
I went for my 6 week follow up Friday. I walked up 2 flights of stairs to check my ability and did many of them two at a time. The Dr was impressed with my recovery and said "I thought you'd be one that would push it all the way". He released me from all restrictions except running.I still have a lot of pain in my flexors but I remember that even before surgery, they were so tight when I laid on my back, my knee would draw up so that I couldn't straighten my leg. The thigh is still numb but getting better.The piriformis on my other leg is tight and painful probably from my body readjusting itself. But it seems a little better each day.
I have noticed that my gait is much better and that my LLD seems to be settling out. I can walk sooooo much better than I have in ages it seems.
In short, I guess the title of this post is for now, holding true...Looks like I made it.

Great 6 wk report. Free from restrictions, hooray. ...but did you have to rub it in with the 2 steps at a time thing? Haha, just kidding. Glad you are doing so well and hope it continues. -cathy

Well, I am by no means completely healed. My flexors and piriformis are still extremely tight but when I walk, it's amazing. Looking back, I think the hip was giving me problems for a long time but the pain was either less than the back pain I have or was somehow mixed with it so I didn't notice. I am literally amazed at how fast I can walk now.

Hi Bob, still early days.. A wise member kept reinforcing with me that recovery is a 'marathon not a sprint and that slow and steady wins the race'

Oh by the way, I noticed that your signature is missing the full date (year) on your last THA :)

I have come to realize that you are right. I still have a lot of pain in the flexor and the PT thinks it is actually quad pain. The flexors are still weak and painful but I think much of that is due to the condition they were in before surgery. I did manage to hit all my PT goals, get down on the floor with the kids at work and get back up, squat and get back up and use my chainsaw again. Probably need a new pair of jeans due to the saw but I did manage to cut up some wood and oddly enough for me, no blood was shed.....

Hi Bob,

It sounds like you are coming along nicely with all your PT milestones!! :thumb:

So, how does the anterior approach compare with the posterior for you? Someone was asking about the different approaches in the Pre-op section, maybe you saw it.

Take care,
Cardie

Hey folks! It's been a while since I posted. When school let out in May, I started working on my property and barely made it to the computer. I spent a lot of time in 100+ degree heat, winching some dead willow tres out of my pond by hand and then cutting them up with a chain saw and etc.
I found that as I did all this, the flexor muscles that pain me so much seemed to get better! The only time they complained was if I happened to trip and had to catch myself with a quick movement.
I went back for my 4 month followup and my NP was greatly pleased at how well I am dong. Then she said something that really made me think. "You're doing great to only be 1/3 of the way there". I had forgotten that it can take a full year to completely recover from THR.
So, from the first post in this thread from the hospital to now: Good function, some guarding when getting up and down from the floor, still some flexor and piriformis pain.
For a 62 year old smoker who had two THRs and advanced DDD, I guess that spliitting fence rails with iron wedges and a sledgehammer is not too shabby for an after school workout. As usual, my ADD is showing with my ramble, sorry to have been a stranger and I'll be back more.
:egypdance:
Bob

Wow Bob, well done with all that activity! So glad you pointed out that this whole process can take a year - or more. It all depends on how bad things were pre-op. Sounds like you are well on your way!

wow spring.gif
Bob! I am not only impressed by your activity level, I am totally exhausted exhausted.gif just reading about it. How great for you that you're able to do so much. You're truly an inspiration to other THRers. Thanks for the terrific update.

Hi Bob,

Sounds like you are doing great and that the yard must be in some great shape after all that work!!

Nice that you were reminded that you are only 1/3 of the way there by the nurse -- it does take a while to recuperate and I'm sure you are incorporating plenty of rest and relaxation time in with all those wild chores (hint, hint).

Can't wait to hear what you'll be up to by the winter months, do keep us posted!! :)
Take care,
Cardie

Bob:
Thank you for the update. Like you I am one third of the way there (I was a March Musketeer!). Thank you for the reminder that I still have another two thirds of the year to make my full recovery. I am very frustrated because I have little ability to cross my right leg over my left. Perhaps this will ease up as time goes on.
Keep up the good work and God bless you!
Sincerely, your friend, Zorro

Another March Muskateer here. Glad to here you are doing so well. Just recently someone gave me a SImilar reminder at 6 months saying, you are 1/2 way there, are you 50% recovered? Made my day since (though I am not where I want to be) I feel more than 50% recovered. Just gotta keep plugging away. Cathy

Bob:
I have also been off the site for awhile but your note reminded me of the wonderful support people offered. Hearing about your summer was exhausting and inspiring. Hope things continue to improve and I appreciate the reminder that six months is not the full recovery period.​

Bob:
Thank you for the update. Like you I am one third of the way there (I was a March Musketeer!). Thank you for the reminder that I still have another two thirds of the year to make my full recovery. I am very frustrated because I have little ability to cross my right leg over my left. Perhaps this will ease up as time goes on.
Keep up the good work and God bless you!
Sincerely, your friend, Zorro
Unless you had an anterior like me, don't cross your legs until you get the Dr. go ahead. When I had my posterior, I think it was close to a year before I started doing that again. Work on getting the muscles supporting the joint strong again.

Unless you had an anterior like me, don't cross your legs until you get the Dr. go ahead. When I had my posterior, I think it was close to a year before I started doing that again. Work on getting the muscles supporting the joint strong again.

Bob
Thanks for the advice about crossing the leg.
I have some questions for my Bonesmart friends that I will place in Zorro's recovery thread.

Zorro

Hi Bob, sounds like you might be just a tad further along, great update.. makes me feel positively lazy sitting at a desk all day.. Keep up the good work - slow and steady wins the race :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back