THR Looks like I am going to have a THR

golfer67

Country
United States United States
I had a diagnostic shot today in my bad hip to see if the hip was causing my pain. The shot stopped 80% of my pain so the hip is the cause of most of my pain. The 20% of pain that I still had I think was coming from the soft tissue and muscles around the hip that were inflamed from my hip condition and the shot just did not hit those areas. After the shot wore off my usual pains came back only much worse than normal. I think that is because the needle inflamed the hip joint more than usual.

The Doctor said that if I want a hip replacement or an arthroscopic surgery to just call his office and they would setup a surgery date. He did not recommend the arthroscopic surgery but if I want to have it he will do it. He also said that he would use a dual mobility hip replacement because I have a fused spine and he always uses a dual mobility implant for people with fused spines.

I think I have enough information and I trust this Doctor and his methods enough to call on Monday and schedule the surgery of a THR I think that at my age of 67 a labrum repair and a FAI operation would just be a waste of time and I would need a THR shortly after those surgeries. I am not in any way afraid of the THR surgery as I have had seven spine surgeries and also a SI joint fusion surgery so I know what to expect when I go in for surgery.

I agree with your decision. I think it's wiser to have the hip replacement than to have a surgery that might be just a temporary fix, especially as your surgeon has told you that you'll need a hip replacement in the end anyway.

@golfer67 My friend if you have had 7 spinal surgeries you are going to find recovery from THR a walk in the park compared to those recoveries. Yes, there is post op discomfort. But it's nothing like the pre-op pain and the good news is that this pain can be controlled.

Sounds like you have a very good surgeon as well. Unfortunately we see many members who quickly go from arthroscopy recovery to THR. Good move on going for THR directly.

Welcome to bonesmart. It sounds like you have done some serious thinking and know what is best for you at this time and are ready.

I think I have enough information and I trust this Doctor and his methods enough to call on Monday and schedule the surgery of a THR I think that at my age of 67 a labrum repair and a FAI operation would just be a waste of time and I would need a THR shortly after those surgeries

Given the info in the quote above and considering your age, I’d agree with the others who’ve mentioned they’d schedule a THR, if in your shoes. Wishing you peace of mind with your decision...whatever it may be. Stay in touch and enjoy the weekend!

Well, you have your decision made and that is a lot of the battle. I found it a big relief after I chose my surgeon and set my date. I hope it will be true for you too.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back