TKR Lookingfothelp's Recovery diary

sistersinhim

Country
United States United States
Naps are good for you. When you are asleep, your body can concentrate more on healing that knee. Sleep whenever and wherever you can. You need it!

OP
OP
L

Lookingfothelp

Country
16 days post op and feeling good! I’m down to just Tylenol, Naproxen, and aspirin for pain. I’m down to one crutch for walking and have been doing a bit of walking without it each day as well. I “went” back to work part time on Monday, meaning I’m on Zoom on my couch with my leg up. My ROM is about 70/5 but I know the rest will come with time. Sleep is decent. Overall, I’d say I’m faring well. I know so have a long way to go but so far this has been easier than I expected. I’m so grateful!

sistersinhim

Country
I’m down to just Tylenol, Naproxen, and aspirin for pain.
Be careful with the Naproxen and aspirin, they are both NSAIDs. If you are taking a low dose aspirin as a blood thinner that's OK. But, full strength can be bad.

What a great way to be able to work. You are blessed that you can do that. Many companies aren't set up to do it. Reading that you're sleeping well is a huge plus. I'd say it sounds like you're doing very well.

OP
OP
L

Lookingfothelp

Country
Thanks for you concern. Yes, I’m just taking a baby dose of aspirin as a blood thinner.

pamsknees

senior
Country
That’s awesome, I’m glad you’re doing so well!

OP
OP
L

Lookingfothelp

Country
I’m plugging along. I’ll be 5 weeks post surgery on Tuesday. I still get easily fatigued, which I didn’t expect this far out but I guess it makes sense. I can’t get my leg straight yet as it’s painful around where my meniscus (on the inner side of knee) used to be when I try to push it. My ROM is about 90. How much bend do folks get eventually? Is it possible to get a full bend, like before surgery? Also, I have internal stitches, just below the skin level. Anyone know how long they take to dissolve?

doodlebug60

Country
Lookingfothelp;
glad to hear you're doing well . in answer to your question about the bend; Yes; you are doing well at 90Rom. as your swelling goes down your ROM and bend will continue to improve. don't stress about that. you are only 5 weeks out. you have plenty of time to improve at that. I am at 15 weeks ltkr and have a bend about 130. I have a surgeon who didn't push PT on me and let me rehab myself at home. it did wonders for me. don't let PT push on your knee. that will just increase swelling and decrease bend. hope you have a wonderful recovery.

OP
OP
L

Lookingfothelp

Country
“I have a surgeon who didn't push PT on me and let me rehab myself at home.”

What kind of things did you do to rehab yourself?

sistersinhim

Country
What kind of things did you do to rehab yourself?
Just walking around in the house doing your daily activities is PT. That's how many of us rehabbed our knees. I have done just that after 12 knee surgeries and did fine. As I healed I was able to do more, but my knees were always my guide. If I did something that caused pain and/or swelling that night or the next day, I knew it was too soon to be doing it. I'd rest, ice and elevate them for until they settled back down. Then I'd try it again. If my knees didn't react, then I knew it was OK to do it.

Many do go to a therapist that does a gentle approach to recovery. These are very helpful. It's the aggressive PTs that give therapy for a knee replacement a bad name. The more up to date therapists have been trained to rehab a joint replacement gently. Their patients normally do much better than aggressive ones.

OP
OP
L

Lookingfothelp

Country
I am very happy with my PT as he is knowledgeable and gentle. He pushes me to the point of discomfort but not pain. My knee does not feel aggravated after, swell up, etc. It’s great that so many of you have done well without PT as well. It makes me feel more at ease when I miss a day of my PT exercises at home!

sistersinhim

Country
I am very happy with my PT as he is knowledgeable and gentle. He pushes me to the point of discomfort but not pain. My knee does not feel aggravated after, swell up, etc.
You are very blessed! It is good to hear that more and more therapists are going the gentle route.

OP
OP
L

Lookingfothelp

Country
I’m curious at what point folks felt that their new knee was no longer getting in the way of doing the things you wanted to do.

I’m 9 weeks out now My ROM is about 110 and my extension is about 1 (my other leg is about -3). I can walk a mile or so each day but uneven ground is still challenging. I’m eager to get biking, gardening, etc and feel quite a ways away from these goals still.

I’ve had 4 scope knee surgeries prior to my TKR and keep having to remind myself that this is a longer recovery and to stay patient.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Lookingfothelp This recovery can take one year or more. It does depend on how long you limped around pre-op and how you reacted to the procedure. Patience is prescribed in large doses. You will get there - it just takes time.

OP
OP
L

Lookingfothelp

Country
Thanks. I realize it takes around one year for a full recovery but doesn’t most of it occur in the first 3 months or so?

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Thanks. I realize it takes around one year for a full recovery but doesn’t most of it occur in the first 3 months or so?
Maybe it does for some, but for many of us, we are still limited at 3 months, 6 months and more. It all depends on how our particular body heals.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
For me after the first three months I could function at a basic level, but was far from healed. My knee was still calling most of the shots and my energy wasn't back. It's very deceiving to people because the outward signs of healing look good at 3 months.

OP
OP
L

Lookingfothelp

Country
My knee was still calling most of the shots and my energy wasn't back.

I have been surprised by the energy piece of it all for sure. I knew it would set me back at the beginning but didn’t expect it to last so long. Things felt like they were improving so quickly in the beginning and now feel like they’ve plateaued a bit. It’s yet another test in patience!

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
kittyphd
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom