Looking forward to the things I'll be able to do after I get my TKR.

Ruby9297

senior
Country
United States United States
This past few days my family and I have spent a small vacation together on the central California coast, the Monterey and Carmel area. I've been in pain the entire time. I'm looking forward to coming back to this place after I'm healed from the surgery and being able to walk on the beach without pain. I'm looking forward to touring the Monterey Bay Aquarium without pain. I'm looking forward to being able to go up and down steps without pain. I'm looking forward to going an entire day without knee pain, it's been so many years, I forgot what that feels like. What about all of you. What are you looking forward to being able to do?

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart mobile app

Hi ruby im so sorry for your pain . But it sounds like even threw all the pain your family and you had a a great vacation. The beach is so pretty and so much to see and do the best part is next time you will be pain free. Wooo hoooo. This will be behind you soon. Take care and sending you happy pain free vibes. Have a blessed night:angel: :hi:

I plan to@Celle, and @froggymom. There are so many other things I want to do, but can't. And there are so many things I do anyway, just pushing through the pain so I can participate in life! But it's tiresome. My knee is so super-swollen right now because I've walked more than 2 miles a day for the past 4 days. I should be able to do way more than that. I look forward to it. Thanks.

I'm with you Ruby! I look forward to going up and down stairs like a normal person! I'm hoping I can get up and down from the floor...something I haven't easily been able to do in years. 9 days to go!

After you've recovered from your surgery, you should be able to do all those things you want to do, Ruby. Recovery can take a long time - it's more of a marathon than a sprint - but gather up all your patience and wait for the days of increased mobility that will come.

It's important after your knee replacement that you don't push through the pain. "No pain, no gain" is not appropriate for recovery from a knee replacement. "No pain, more gain" is better.

So glad you have goals in mind for your post recovery Ruby- I'm sure your family will also be thrilled to have you be able to participate fully in all of those activitieis. I am looking forward to having my legs hang off a table or chair, or in a pool, without pain, to be able to hike in the mountains, to go up and down stairs, and to play hockey - all without pain.

Hey @Ruby9297, I can tell I'm getting nervous about my July 20 TKR, since I'm checking out BoneSmart more than I did last month! I just looked back to find your surgery date and remembered that you were the first July Sparkler to be registered. At the time, it seemed like our surgeries were way off, and now - voila! - it's almost time. It was a beach vacation last year that was the tipping point for me, leading to my decision to get a new knee. I recently read the thread of @nensi, and I loved what she did before surgery. She posted a video her daughter took of her trying to navigate a stairway. As frustrating and painful as it is to experience difficulty with walking down the beach or climbing stairs, it is such a powerful reminder of what makes it worth the surgery. So this is a reinforcement for us when we're apprehensive, and a way to confirm we've made the right decision.

p.s. I think if you edit your profile, you'll be able to put your surgery and surgery date so it will always appear at the bottom of your post. That way, all the BoneSmarties will know to shower you with support on your big day!

My CPM machine was delivered today...this is really happening! Is anyone else using one?

Happydale, I tried to add my surgery date (July 12) to my signature, but I guess you have to have 10 posts before it will let you edit that field (?).

@Ruby9297 Great idea! A "bucket list" for your new knee! I even named my first one! Now I look forward to being able to fully enjoy Buddy (#1 TKR) when his new sibling recovers! It IS a long recovery, but it does NOT last forever and one day you WILL be able to do all of those bucket list things!

I'm looking forward to a life that isn't *kneecentric.* A simple wish by some standards, yet an all encompassing one by others.

Wow! Less than a week away from surgery, and I've been off my topical and transdermal NSAIDS since Monday, per doctor's orders because they're blood thinners! Holy moley! Now the incapacitating, painful nature of having a bone on bone knee is hitting home even harder! I was in really bad pain yesterday and I barely did anything, except go to a few doctor appointments. Because I use medication everyday, I forgot exactly how painful this knee is. And yesterday, my OS gave me a cortisone shot in my right knee because it's bad too, and he felt that having one pain-free knee would be helpful next week as I begin recovery from the surgery. So I was limping badly on both knees yesterday, with no pain meds. I resorted to ice packs and Tylenol, which weren't really helping much, but I did notice a bit of a difference for a short while. In order to sleep last night I had to take a norco and half a diazepam. Without them I could not have slept at all, and I would have been in agony as my knee pain always seems worse at night, and it was getting bad-- far worse than any ice pack or Tylenol could tackle. Waking up this morning was so hard, and I feel like I've got a hangover, so now I need to take something for my headache, And so to add to my list of things I look forward to being able to do after I heal from surgery: being able to exist without taking a bucket load of pain medication every day, just so I can function and/or sleep.

I have also been wearing "sensible" shoes lately because anything else is too uncomfortable. I want to be able to wear my high heels again.[emoji151][emoji150]

This past 4th of July, my youngest son celebrated his 17th birthday, and my husband and I celebrated our 24th wedding anniversary. (We call it co-dependence day at our house![emoji1]) Next 4th of July, I want to be able to dance, pain-free at my son's high school graduation, 18th Birthday and our Silver Wedding Anniversary party. That's a big goal! [emoji631][emoji485][emoji310] [emoji141][emoji145]

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Ruby9297, here's an interesting tidbit regarding ice and Tylenol. Many here, self included, found it completely useless for OA. Post surgically, ice is your best friend. Tylenol also works well on post surgical pain while taking narcotic pains and after you've weaned off them. I threw my Aleve in the trash!

Ruby9297, I hear ya! I've been off my usual pain relief regimen for 2 days now, and every day it gets harder to move. Pheebs52, I agree that Tylenol is not cutting it! Good to know it may be useful post surgery. Re: Ice, I originally planned to buy a CryoCuff or one of the ice machines but then I decided to be cheap and see how well I do with just ice packs. I made 2 (from the information here with rubbing alcohol & water), plus I have a gel one from my last surgery, and I understand I'll get a knee wrap ice pack from the hospital. Hope that will be adequate.

Carmel is my favorite place--cannot wait to return!

I was dreading the week without Motrin before surgery. I developed sciatica towards the very end, and my OS gave me a six day pack of oral steroids (Medrol) leading up to the day of surgery. That medication was like a miracle to me, too bad we cannot take it every day.

Good luck to You!

Tomorrow my walking group is doing a 1/2 marathon. I begged off this year and did the 5K today. At 3K my knees were reinforcing the correctness of my upcoming LTKR. One of the ladies has had L&RTKR and L&RTHR and 4 miles per hour or better. There is hope my friends.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts