BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

ankle Looking for those who have gone before me

Discussion in 'Other Joints Forum' started by ramone1961, Sep 13, 2019.

1. ramone1961

ramone1961 new member

Canada Canada
    Hi all thanks so much for being here.
    I had a total ankel replacement a week ago today.
    I am in what they call a half boot cast and wraped many times.
    I had a nerve block in my leg and think maybe an epidural . I dont remember anything from the surgery . I was told no weight bearing for 2 weeks. I have been off all pain meds for 3 days now.
    All seems good except for, im not sure if they are called phantom pains ?
    Many times through out the day i feel one of two things, in my mind that is. It feels like i can feel the Dr cutting into my ankel, or it feels like the wound is opening up, both the same feeling ??
    Has anyone experienced anything like this ?
    Also im a very active person going in to this, I drive a truck for a living and was wondering if i was out to lung thinking i could be back to work in 2 months ?
    Dr said plan for 3 off but maybe i would be back to work in 2.
    Thanks all so much in advance for your help
    Cheers
    Ray

2. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

United States United States
    Hi, Ray. Welcome to BoneSmart and congratulations on your new ankle. I know you're anxious to get your life back again, but please don't try to hurry your recovery. You need to allow your body time to heal. Long hours in a truck could be pretty rough on a new joint, so I'm thinking it might be best for you to plan for the full 3 months if at all possible. You want to do everything possible to ensure a successful recovery.

It is a bit odd to feel those specific phantom pains you describe. Is there actual pain that goes along with the feeling that the wound is opening? It may be that you need to adjust your pain medications to get some relief from that.

We have quite a few BoneSmarties in ankle recovery right now, so I suggest you do some reading in their threads to get an idea of what to expect.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions that come to mind. We're here to help and support you.