Ankle Looking for someone who's had a TAR

Chanie

Country
United States United States
Hi! This is chanie- I havent been following the bone smart forum for a while but now I would really love to hear from someone like me for some information about a Total Ankle replacement. I am a 56 young grandma with Rhuematiod arthritis for over 30 years. Having already had 3 ankle arthrodesis operations over past 20 years Dr. Demetricopolous and Dr, Thomas O'malley of the Hospital for special surgery in NYC both feel strongly that my next step within few months is a TAR and I am searching for someone in a similar situation....thanks so much!!!

Hi, @Chanie.....We have had several BoneSmarties here in the "Other Joints" forum who've gone through a Total Ankle Replacement. If you click on the prefix I added to your thread title, you'll get a list of all the ankle threads.

Hi @Chanie I had a STAR total ankle replacement almost 9 years ago on December 12, 2011. My doctor was one of 5 experts across the US in the STAR replacement and they are still studying results. At the time I got my replacement they hoped for 10 years before a revision was necessary. While not everyone has had results as good as mine, approaching 9 years and it looks like I will exceed the 10 years based on my last couple of annual checks. I would be happy to answer any questions you have to the best of my ability.

Thank you so much for answering!!Wow a real person who had an ankle replacement and LIVED!! First off what is STAR as opposed to TAR? I? know ankle replacements nowadays have morphed into new technology -like Infinity replacements. I was wondering what the recovery was like, yes or no weight bearing, did you need to go to rehab, how many months would you say I need to prepare myself for recovery

@Chanie,

STAR (Scandinavian Total Ankle Replacement) is one of several choices surgeons have for a prosthesis.

You should anticipate you will be non weight bearing for the first 6-8 weeks, partial weight bearing 8-16 weeks while in a cast boot, 16 to 24 weeks full weight bearing and working to a normal gait, which can take up to a year.
Finding an PT experienced with TAR will be able to guide you to a successful recovery.

@Chanie,

STAR (Scandinavian Total Ankle Replacement) is one of several choices surgeons have for a prosthesis.

You should anticipate you will be non weight bearing for the first 6-8 weeks, partial weight bearing 8-16 weeks while in a cast boot, 16 to 24 weeks full weight bearing and working to a normal gait, which can take up to a year.
Finding an PT experienced with TAR will be able to guide you to a successful recovery.
@pumpkin nailed it completely @Chanie I was in a cast for the first 6 weeks no weight bearing. Then into a boot for several more weeks slowly adding weight. I would not push into PT too quickly. They will give you things like write the alphabet with your foot etc. gentle range of motion only and then just to the point of discomfort. If you get someone for PT that says "no pain, no gain" run the other way as fast as possible. I didn't run into an ice machine, (one that has a reservoir of water you add ice to and the water circulates and cools the area) but I imagine they make a wrap for the ankle. Unfortunately when you need it most in the first 6 weeks it's hard to get much cooling past the cast. The ankle is not the easiest rehab but it was better than a shoulder or a knee! I'm very happy I had it done, it gave me my mobility back at least until the knee and hip gave out, but alls well and I'm back to an active life.

Hi,
I went through a TAR going on nine months ago and you can read about my journey in this forum. If you decide to go through with it please understand that this will be a one year journey, however progress is steady and reassuring that you have done the right thing.
you will read that I chose the Infinity device and am quite happy with my choice; very flexible and pain free, but it takes steady PT at a facility and more important at home.
Good luck

Hallo Chanie,
My TAR was the final outcome of an injury (car/bike ankle crush) from 27 years ago.
I had an arthroscopy in March last year which actually made things worse and narrowed the choices down dramatically to a TAR.
I was pretty apprehensive I have to say.......these may be rare in America; but they are unheard of in Australia :)
However after 6 monthsI have to say I now finally feel I'm getting somewhere and it all seems worthwhile. But I can only echo LarryJ when he says, this is a very long and often very frustrating recovery process; however ultimately worthwhile. Good luck!

Thank you all so much! I've scheduled surgery for Dec 18 and am quite nervous. Being that my foot is so arthritic and been through three surgeries I am worried how it will adapt to a TAR, Any feelings out there?

Thank you, Pumpkin for that reassurance. I go back and forth one day saying I'm doing the right thing, the sooner the better, why just keep putting off the inevitable. Then next day worring I am rushing into something drastic too soon. But Hubby is great suppport and encouraging me to do it sooner than later. He says I said these same excuses before my hip and knee replacements...:)

thank you @FCBayern as well. You sound so upbeat, that's wonderful to hear that you have your mobility back! How bout your pain on a regular day to day?

I rarely have pain, and it happens more often if I'm a couch potato, it likes me to stay active. When I do have some pain ice chases it away.

unbelievable!!! So glad for you! I will definitely b keeping in touch

I broke my ankle in 10 places 19 years ago (had surgery to fix it) which caused my arthritis, bone spurs, tendonitis, etc and is the reason I needed the surgery. Unless your dr thinks your previous surgeries will be an issue I wouldn't worry about it. They will go in and clean everything out that is damaged.
I just had my surgery on Sept 9th. I got my cast off a week ago. I was terrified of having this done and put it off for a couple years trying not to do it (I even tried stem cell therapy). But I was so miserable and it was limiting what I could do and enjoy, so I finally bit the bullet. It helped that I know 2 people who've had it done. One of them is several years out and he's so happy he did it.
It really hasn't been anywhere near as bad as I expected. The worst part was dealing with the cast for 6wks but the pain is so much better than I thought it would be (and I have a low tolerance to pain).
I still have a long way to go and I know the recovery is nowhere near done, but I have faith that it will be worth it and I'll be glad I did it. I will probably wish I'd done it sooner.

HI! I am scheduled for TAR G-d willing on Dec 18 in nyc hospital for special surgery and I'm reading all your posts- thank you guys for all the sharing. Could someone describe what exactly is a keloid. In addition I would like to here how you prepared the house for post surgery, I am interested what you did maybe I am missing something. Also any info on the pain meds you used in hospital and at home would be greatly appreciated.

Keloids are a type of raised scar. I am not exactly sure what the recovery from TAR surgery consists of, but some of the things I did were to pre-make 4-6 weeks worth of meals. I stocked up on everything, and I made sure to have some snack type foods around. There's a pre-surgery meal prep article in the social room that may be helpful. I also spent some time showing my husband how I make certain things I like to eat/drink, and how to do some of the things he doesn't generally do. Because I'm supposed to use my walker for 4-6 weeks, it was important to plan on being grounded for at least that length of time. Your recovery will certainly be different than mine, but it's still a good idea to plan ahead.

As for pain meds, that's a good thing to thoroughly discuss with your surgeon beforehand as everyone is different, and pain med needs should be personalized by your doctor. As for your house, remove all loose rugs and make sure you can safely navigate throughout, with whatever form of walking aid you may be using.

Hi @Chanie, do you know what kind of device you are having implanted? Do you know if you will be in a cast, weight bearing etc? Different implants and doctors have different approaches. If your surgery is the 18th I would suggest you start your own recovery thread in preparation. If you can answer some of the above questions I can probably offer some advise.

Thanks love to cook and sew! I appreciate all those tips. Actually I came down with covid Nov 14 at first was mild case for two weeks. then turned into a wheezy chest, exhaustion and anemic thing even though I tested negative already. So Dr. put off my surgery to Jan 8th. I think I am having the INFINITY device implanted. was told I'll be in a splint 2 weeks, then cast 2 weeks both non weight bearing(I always add 2 weeks to their projections) then a boot also non weight bearing then slowly slowly ease into weight bearing. I would love to make a recovery thread, need a little instruction how to do that.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back