Rotator Cuff Repair Looking for info on Stryker Ortho space balloon.

tommyg

Country
United States United States
I'm back after having a knee replacement a few years ago. I was diagnosed with torn rotator cuff 10 years ago. I went under the knife but the tendons had retracted so much no repair was possible. 6 months ago I learned about the reverse shoulder replacement. I've been living with the torn cuff and have modified my life around it. I went back to a new doctor and at 1st we set up a reverse shoulder procedure for January 3rd, 2022. On a follow up with him yesterday and reviewing fresh MRI scans he suggested the Stryker orthospace balloon instead of a shoulder replacement. To tell the truth , it sounds like I'm in pretty good shape compared to others as far as being able to use my shoulder and i don't think I'm ready to abide by the constraints that a complete replacement would entail.
It looks like this device only received FDA approval in July so finding information about it in the US is hard.
The device has been used in Europe and Israel though for 10 years.

So, anybody got any experience with the device?
It sounds like a much better option for me at this time than a total replacement.

Thanks.

I'm not familiar with that particular device but have recently read bout other possibilities with significant retraction, including a collagen patch. Have you been told about likely outcomes? How likely it is to succeed or how long the rehab would be? While reverse shoulder replacement can be a great option for many, it does include limitations on future activities. How does this device compare?

I'm back after having a knee replacement a few years ago. I was diagnosed with torn rotator cuff 10 years ago. I went under the knife but the tendons had retracted so much no repair was possible. 6 months ago I learned about the reverse shoulder replacement. I've been living with the torn cuff and have modified my life around it. I went back to a new doctor and at 1st we set up a reverse shoulder procedure for January 3rd, 2022. On a follow up with him yesterday and reviewing fresh MRI scans he suggested the Stryker orthospace balloon instead of a shoulder replacement. To tell the truth , it sounds like I'm in pretty good shape compared to others as far as being able to use my shoulder and i don't think I'm ready to abide by the constraints that a complete replacement would entail.
It looks like this device only received FDA approval in July so finding information about it in the US is hard.
The device has been used in Europe and Israel though for 10 years.

So, anybody got any experience with the device?
It sounds like a much better option for me at this time than a total replacement.

Thanks.
Have you learned anything further about the Stryker orthospace baloon? I am very interested, as my husband is in the same predicament that you are. He has been told he needs reverse shoulder surgery. He is most concerned about the limitations he would realize. He has learned, just like you, to work around his shoulder limitations - he is very active - we live on a ranch and he does all sorts of ranch activity and we are very active in the reining horse discipline - so a lot of riding of horses. We are in Oklahoma. Where are you? Any help or "hope" you can pass on, we would be grateful.

That was what I was able to find. Good luck .

This balloon procedure is a promising new treatment now available in the US for people with rotator cuff injuries. Since there can be some limitations with a reverse shoulder replacement, it would be something to consider for anyone in this situation. So far, we haven't had any BoneSmart members that I'm aware of who've had it, but I do know a couple who are planning the surgery. So we may have more information available from patients who've been through the process soon.

To anyone who has rotator cuff injuries, I suggest that you locate a surgeon who is trained in this procedure if possible for a consultation. It may not work in all cases, but it's certainly worth checking into.

I am so sorry. I thought I would receive email notifications when there where replies to this post.
I had a follow up appointment today and it made me think of this site. I came back and saw the responses and felt really bad.
I did have the procedure done on 1-6-22.
1st it has not done a lot for my range of motion. I still have a hard time shampooing the back of my head and other movements but I went into it knowing that there would not be a big improvement in that. The main reason I started looking into getting something done was fixing the shoulder pain. 3 things that I was having problems with. 1. I design on a computer and after 30 minutes of mouse manipulation my shoulder was killing me and the muscles would knot up giving me headaches. 2. Bike riding-my normal rides would last 2 hours but again after 30 minutes my shoulder would be screaming at me and I would cut my rides short. 3. I noticed that while walking around or just being seditary the shoulder would hurt for no reason.

My experience.
I'm doing all this from memory so it might not be perfect.
1-6-22 Had the surgery which is arthroscopic? Got sent home afterwards with a nerve block. If I remember correctly I used pain killers for about 2 weeks but not alot. The doctor didn't prescribe any PT.
4 weeks- Doc is letting me lift weights that don't involve too much shoulder . Bicep curls are fine.
6 weeks-I'm doing push ups again, the shoulder is feeling pretty good.
3-months- Pain is slowly starting to come back and gets progressively worse. I had a follow up appointment 4-6-22
and I more or less tell the doctor the surgery was a failure. We make a follow up for 5 months .
4-5 months- I'm not sure when exactly it happened but the shoulder feels good. I can bike again for 90 minutes, computer use is no problem, and the normal achy pain I had is gone.

While researching this before hand, I had read about an initial improvement but than when the "balloon" popped after between 2-4 months there would be a decline, than followed by a gradual improvement as the bones got used to there new position. This was only my doctors 2nd time doing this procedure but he is very accomplished at shoulder replacements and this looked like a very unobtrusive procedure.

So the pain is gone and I don't have any restrictions that I would have had with a reverse replacement and its been 5 months and shoulder is good.
I'll play with my settings to try to get email notices for replies.
Mod's, I'm not sure if you'd like to move this to the post op section.
Tommy

@tommyg - I'm so glad to hear you are doing well. It's amazing how we can think a procedure failed only to have it suddenly improve! I still had substantial improvements in range of motion at this point after my rotator cuff repair - especially with behind the back and reaching over and back movements. It was probably 6-8 months before I got completely comfortable holding the bar for back squats so you may well continue to see further range of motion improvements.

@tommyg - your update is encouraging. Glad you came back to this site to provide additional information. We continue to seek a surgeon in the Oklahoma/Texas area that performs the "balloon implant" procedure. Would your surgeon know of anyone in our area? Glad you are continuing to improve. Keep us posted.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom