BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Looking for ideas for Chair with arms and cushion

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by lotusbuds, Feb 1, 2019.

1. lotusbuds

lotusbuds member

United States United States
    My surgery is approaching and I still don't have a chair with arms. We have wooden chairs on the deck with sturdy arms and have to bring one in to see if it will work or if I have to buy one. Any thoughts of what to get if I have to buy one?
    Not sure if I should be looking at office waiting room chairs or an armchair. Also I bought a 4" foam cushion to put on it and the couch. It will be great on the couch but is too high for my chair I sit at now the table and is too firm. Thinking I should get a 3" one.
    Any ideas on which would be an appropriate chair and cushion are welcome.
    Thanks so much!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  2. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @lotusbuds I don't think I would get too hung up on the chair. I am sure one of your deck chairs would work although you probably need your foam cushion on it to make it comfortable for any length of time. Definitely bring the chair in beforehand and try it out. You will feel happier about the whole thing after the op if you know where you are able to get comfortable when you get home.
    Do you have anywhere there where you can buy things cheaply or even get them for free? In our 'Freecycle' here I recently saw a recliner chair that was unwanted and just needed to be collected. ok, the cover looked well used, but something like that would be very useful.
    Alternatively to a chair with arms is your usual chair but with a cupboard placed at either side to push yourself up on which would take place of the arms.

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

I agree with @Bionic about not getting too caught up on a chair. Unless you were planning to get a new chair anyhow, I don’t think it would be a worthwhile investment. I didn’t have a chair with arms and I never thought about needing one. I spent most of my sitting time sitting in the couch. There I had the arm rest in one side. I sat in a regular chair at the kitchen table and there I used the table if I needed to hold onto something to get up. I probably also used my walker or cane although they caution you not to do that as it may tip or fall.

I think you will be surprised to find how quickly you recover and how quickly you can get up out of a chair without any aid. Lotus buds gave you some good suggestions if you still feel the need for a chair, you might find one at a thrift shop or on Craig’s List. Our local rescue squad keeps all sorts of medical supplies on hand for people to borrow so we borrowed a shower chair from them for the first month since our shower is in the bathtub and it was hard to step over the tub. It worked great and saved us a lot of $$. A place like that might also have chairs. You could ask at your local GP’s office or your OS office. My OS offer is just over an hour away from my house so they wouldn’t have know about the rescue squad supplies. The PT whomcame to my house the first week told us about it.

One way or the other, you will make out just fine. It is good to think about what you might need ahead of time and to get prepared. That is one way this forum can be so helpful. It is good to get other people’s points of view. I know I got some great tips on here.

4. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    To be honest I would not spend money on new furniture. That wooden deck chair will probably work. Or and chair in front of a table where you can use your arms to lift and stand. The firm cushion for any softer furniture sounds perfect.

I think @Barbaraj lives in your area. Let's see if she has any suggestions or tips on what worked for her.

5. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    The first time around I used the couch with a firm foam cushion to square it up a bit and a footstool. At that time I just had a little wooden step stool so used a long firm pillow to support my whole leg from the couch to the stool and was quite comfortable. I did eventually rent a power recliner through a home health store because I had difficulty sleeping in my bed. I am going to try to find a 2nd hand recliner this time for about $100 (I've seen some ads) which would be cheaper than renting & then pass it on when I don't need it. Another idea is to put a post on facebook. You just might know someone that has a lonely recliner in their basement and would be happy to loan it to you!

6. lotusbuds

lotusbuds member

@Bionic @GrannyC @Jaycey @Carriemay60 Thank you for the quick replies! I will try the deck chair (I have 3 options now that I think of it) first with the cushion and hopefully that will work. We are looking at getting a new armchair but that may not happen in time. The couch will work with the armrest and the cushion too. Our house is small and so there is no room for a recliner but that's ok as I just want a chair I know I can sit in.
    I will also look on craigslist and some other local places as mentioned.
    I think I will get a 3 inch cushion too as the 4" foam is hard as rock though will test it for a few days.
    I borrowed some equipment from a friend and just have a couple things to still get. Unfortunately I pulled a muscle on my right arm reaching for something in an awkward way so couldn't swim this week. Its almost better now.
    Thanks again kind forum friends.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  7. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    My house is very small as well and fitting in a recliner means putting the loveseat into a useless position. Another thing I meant to mention is to have a decent size table next to your "spot". I use a little nesting set. It's amazing how much our bits & pieces add up!

8. lotusbuds

lotusbuds member

@Carriemay60 What I a nesting set? I am actually thinking the chair I sit at now I use the table to help me stand up so it may work with a cushion as well. I was planning to put a tv table next to the chair with arms for things as my spot but also if I stay where I am its a beautiful view of the garden and is at our large dining/kitchen table. Our kitchen/living room is all open.
    We only have room in the living room for the couch and now a small armchair but that will be one we need to take time to buy as it will be staying. I have a perfect view of the hummingbird feeder and a pond my husband made and TV from the table so I love it. Just not sure how it will all work but I have 3 weeks to try it all out.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    A nesting table set are little tables that fit into each other. You can slide them out a bit to make a larger top space of separate them to separate little tables. Your view sounds lovely!! When I broke my leg & hip in 2014, I spent a lot of time in a wheelchair in the kitchen. It doesn't have a table in there but I could wedge my big cutting board onto my lap and fly around the kitchen, in & out of the fridge like crazy doing all the meal prep, lol My neighbour has 3 birdhouses on our side and I learned more than I needed to about nesting birds and how sweet/awful the cycle of life can be!

10. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

Another item I found extremely useful was a bag for my walker. I could put a snack, phone, drink, meds, etc. in it to carry around from one place to the next. It helped me be a lot more independent. As far as equipment, I got a dressing stick and borrowed the shower chair I mentioned above and that was it. My OS said I didn’t need s raised toilet seat so we didn’t get one and it was fine. It is also helpful to think about what you will do to entertain yourself in those days you are recovering. I had some books ready to read although I found it was at least a week before I could concentrate well enough to read them so I spent endless hours on my IPad and on BS forum. I like to sew so in just a few days I was back at my sewing machine. I could sit there for a short time, then get up for a short walk and return to sew some more. It worked great for me as I wasn’t too crazy about watching tv all day. If you don’t have a craft, you can always call some old friends you haven’t spoken to in ages or do some type of puzzles. Everyone can come up with something.

I love the view you have there. The birds are fun to watch. We usually out out a couple hummingbird feeders each spring and they still fight over them no matter how many we out out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Gosh, I guess I never thought about whether I had chairs with arms, @lotusbuds, before surgery. From my perspective, in the early days I had the walker which I'd place in front of anywhere I was seated so I could use it to heft myself up. But I suppose if I were looking for chairs with arms used, I'd try Craigslist, OfferUp, Facebook's for sale site, or NextDoor Neighbor. Or trusty Goodwill. Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it and I don't think I ever picked a chair based on whether it had arms or not. The one thing I did find useful (I am tall, with an old, low toilet) was a riser that fit over the toilet and had arms on it. That was really helpful, a piece of equipment the hospital recommended. Also, if you haven't been doing any upper body workouts, I'd definitely want to make sure you are strong enough to use your upper arms to push yourself up. Having a chair with arms isn't going to be as useful if you are very weak in your upper body. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

Believe it or not one of the most useful chairs I used was a plastic patio chair. It's one of those white plastic ones that stack and cost about $10. With a cushion it was comfortable and the arms were sturdy enough for me to lift myself with my arms. Worked great at the table for meals also.
    I had restrictions and leaning forward to get out of a chair was a no-no. I did end up going shopping while on a walker for a recliner as I had trouble getting off of the couch and couldn't get comfortable. I ended up buying an electric low end recliner from Ashely for a few hundred dollars. It's not one of those ejection ones, just reclines. It worked out great and has become a favorite chair. Comfort is a must as you will be spending a LOT of time in a chair.
    Before surgery one of the things I was advised to do was arm pushups practicing getting out of a chair.

• Like Like x 2