TKR Looking for guidance

Madjor

Country
United States United States
56 year old male; athletic. Right knee total acl reconstruction 27 years ago, cartilage damage repair 12 years ago, staph infection. Spinning classes have helped mind and body. Best shape I have been in as an adult. Right knee acting up. Pain and swelling very frequent. Have been told knee looks like that of an 86 year old man. Question: Will I be able to continue with spin classes after replacement surgery at the same intensity?

My doc told me no future high impact sports like running. Would think that would preclude basketball also.

Walking, elliptical and cycling he said were OK. Not sure if you are somehow doing "high impact" on the cycle. Would think you would somehow need to jar the knee/place downward pressure on the joint a lot when cycling to do that. Should describe your cycling methods to and ask your doc. Good luck!

Thanks for your response. The spinning classes are not high impact, but high intensity/cardio for 45 minutes to an hour. Good to hear that cycling is acceptable. I sure hope so because it has permitted me to achieve positive mindfulness. Thanks again

Cycling is OK after a knee replacement. You should be able to start gentle cycling a few months after surgery and gradually work up to spinning classes.
Complete recovery from a knee replacement does take a full year though, so don't increase your cycling activity too quickly.

Given time, your high-intensity spinning should be achievable.

Seems like spinning would be an ideal option to return to. The cardio load is challenging, but the pounding is reduced. Listen to Celle, though. Build up slowly, attending to the signals of pain and swelling.

I was quite active before my TKR in November, and I want to return to, or even exceed that level by this time next year. That’s not going to happen without some mindful recovery.

Good luck!

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate all the info I can gather

I would talk to your surgeon. Their may be a particular implant that would be beat for spinning. Good luck!

Another question: Considering my flexion is very poor after all the procedures and damage done with staph infection, what are the chances a knee replacement will permit me to flex more than before? Or is that strictly wishful hoping?

Pre-Op flexion is a good indicator of post-op flexion, but definitely not a guarantee. Many here have found their TKR didn't miraculously fix their limited bending. It might improve it some, but one has to go in with no great expectations.

Keep in mind though that many here DID gain a lot more flexion than what they started with. It truly does depend on the person and what your knee has been through.

I say this from experience. I thought my prior stiff, scarred knee would be much looser after my TKR last May. So far, at almost 8 months, it's not yet close in terms of bending and gives me lots of trouble with stairs and biking. It was worth it though because the pain and instability are GONE!!I know it will probably loosen up some more, but I'm trying to have zero expectations, just in case. so if this is all I get in the end, I'll be satisfied, even if not "thrilled. "

I think the key is to just not set your expectations too high..... Just go with it, see what happens, and hope for the best. Best of luck to you.

Will I be able to continue with spin classes after replacement surgery at the same intensity?
I ride road and track at higher intensity than before BTKR, so why not? Your knee will be NEW!
what are the chances a knee replacement will permit me to flex more than before?
IMO very good, all the bone spurs will be gone and you'll have shiny new stuff in there. It will take a good while to attain because your body is used to poor flex, but stretching exercises to do it are easy and pain-free.

I was a biker prior to surgery and did exercise bike as part of preop conditioning. After surgery I was able to bike as part of my rehab. I continued on exercise bike after I was done with PT, building up from 5 minutes initially to an hour.. I got back to outdoor biking by 5-6 months or so. I can now ride considerably longer than pre TKR. I still get on the exercise bike this time of year but I love a good outdoor ride of a couple of hours so I'm guessing a spinning class will eventually be more than doable. Take your time. First you heal, then you build up muscle and endurance. I found my flexion continued to increase for 16-18 months after surgery and today two and a half years later it has more range of motion than my natural knee.

My stationary bike is the best investment I've made in a long time! I've had 2 complex TKRs over the past few months. After each surgery, I slowly built up the time and resistance level on Larry ( my bike!) until i was biking 45 - 60 minutes, twice a day. I found that starting with gentle biking for the first couple of weeks really helped my ROM, not to mention help get my energy levels back and keep me sane. My knees were a misaligned, arthritic mess prior to surgery, so just comfortably completing a full rotation on the bike was a challenge. World of difference, now.

I also think the biking done after my right TKR strengthened and better prepared my left knee & leg for surgery - I had a much faster recovery & less muscle loss and overall pain for my November surgery.

Even though I'm 6 and almost 3 months out from my surgeries, I'm still riding Larry like mad for my 2 45 -60 minute sessions each day. I've got great range of motion (125 degrees in both knees) and have really noticed the improved strengthening of my lower body muscles on activities such as going up & down stairs, sitting to standing, etc.

@Madjor - Do you have a date for surgery yet? And which knee is it?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back