TKR Look these doctors up and do your exercises. It's the key to a better result.

MNVeronica

Country
United States United States
I am here because I started the survey that was sent out by BoneSmart but ended up quitting because I found there were questions that would not allow me to answer honestly. I must be one of the rare ones because I have no concerns. I am absolutely not worried about my knee. I did exercises for a month before surgery and that was the key to my quick recovery.

Before surgery I was doing research for myself and found the most wonderful doctors on you tube You can go to you tube and search for, talking with docs. They talk about before, during and after. I watched many of their videos and one of them was about doing exercises before surgery, they couldn't stress how important this was. So I watched that video more than once and wrote everything down, there were 6 exercises. Easy. I did the exercises at least twice a day and I started a month before the surgery. My surgery was done as an Out-Patient. I went in at 8:45 and was out at 3:45. On 2nd day after surgery I no longer used the walker or any other aid, it was more of a hindrance than a help. I only went to physical therapy 3 times and quit. My doctor said I didn't have to go if I didn't want to. The Physical therapist was amazed and so was I. At this point I don't even think about the knee anymore unless I look and see the scar. Had my surgery April 1st, 2021. Went golfing in June. I am a female and 75 years of age at time of surgery. My brother (74) years old had been putting off knee surgery for years was encouraged by my results and did the same exercises I did and had his TKR June 3rd, 2021. He had similar results as me. If you haven't had your surgery yet look those doctors up and do your exercises. It's the key to a better result.

Jamie

OneStep AMBASSADOR ..Staff member since Feb 2009..
Senior Administrator
Country
OneStep Ambassador Icon
@MNVeronica .... thanks so much for taking time to post your "good news" story about your TKR surgery and recovery. It's so important for our members, even the ones who are going through challenges right now, to know there are many successes with joint replacement. Your story will help members who are worried before their surgery and offer hope for a resolution to any problems someone might be experiencing post-op.

We definitely support the idea of strengthening as much as possible before your surgery date. In fact, we're working on some material that will provide our recommendations on what to do in the months leading up to surgery to prepare.

Thanks again for the good report. Get out there and enjoy your life! We'd love to hear more about your brother too. Maybe even some photos of either or both of you in action. We love success!!

Gingerbread

Country
I follow "talking with docs" on YouTube as well. They are Canadian.
I agree they offer fabulous advice. But I was doing exercises prior to surgery too... Was a fairly healthy weight, am fairly healthy, etc... Nothing could have prepared me for this recovery unfortunately.
I'm glad you're doing so well but to say doing a few exercises prior will set one up for success is wrong.

Jockette

Staff member since March 2018
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Congratulations on your great recovery. :wowspring:

If only it could go that well for all of us!

Many more of us have recoveries like @Gingerbread and I. I was definitely not prepared for how tough mine was, and I “only had a partial” promoted to be a quick and easy recovery.

There is nothing that will guarantee that we have a “really good recovery.“ Our bodies each react differently to the trauma the surgery causes. Each of our knees is in different condition than someone else’s knee. Different surgeons have different techniques, some use a more delicate touch, some are a tad rougher, which can upset the soft tissues more. The surgeon’s experience with the procedure also has an effect.
What we do in recovery is a factor, also. I had PTs who hurt me badly, which does not enhance healing. There are lots of factors involved in our recovery.

I‘m glad for you that all those good factors came together for you!
Best wishes as you continue to heal! :flwrysmile:

Lindylee

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
That’s great that you had such a good outcome, but I have to agree with other comments. I was given strengthening exercises to do for at least a month before my surgeries and have been doing knee exercises for years to stave off surgery. I had very different outcomes for each knee. The left was done first and it was a painful and slow recovery and even now is nowhere near as good as the the right one which was a piece of cake by comparison and at 6 weeks was better than the left one even though the exercises before and after were exactly the same.

GZGirl22

Country
So happy you have done so well. I totally get your point as I did "prehab" for a year before mine and as you say, it does make a huge difference. Not all TKR patients are physically able to do an exercise regimen before (but folks if you can, make it a priority) and I feel for them as it does indeed make recovery tougher. It should be said that even if you do your pre-op exercises it doesn't mean you can't have complications. Each case is different.

I have had a very good recovery so far, and it is important for prospective TKR patients to know that for many of us, our recoveries will be uncomplicated. I am sure the goal here is not to scare folks into thinking the TKR is fated to be a long slow recovery fraught with infections, problems and MUIs.

BUT...
this forum is very valuable to the percentage of TKR patients for whom everything doesn't go according to plan. The sharing of obstacles and ways to approach them; the reassurance that the same things have happened to someone else and you will get through it; the ideas shared when your OS or PTs only want to see things one way ---- this is invaluable. My own story has been (thankfully) uneventful, but this forum really serves those who are struggling. I'm grateful for that, as there is no guarantee my next TKR will go as smoothly and I know they will be here should I need them.

OP
OP
M

MNVeronica

Country
This is in reply to Jockett. You mentioned the PTs who hurt you. That is the main reason I quit going. I told my doctor and that's when he told me there's no law saying I had to go. This is my opinion and others may disagree but I feel that Physical Therapy is rigid in the type of exercises they want us to do. They have everyone lumped into one basket. I feel they should have exercises that are suited for different ages. A 65 - 75 year-old certainly doesn't have the same goals as a 25 year-old and so on. The 3rd and last time I went to PT it took me 4 days to recover from that session, I was doing better on my own. I do not believe in, no pain, no gain. At least, not at my age.

Jockette

BoneSmart Staff
Country
You mentioned the PTs who hurt you. That is the main reason I quit going.
You made a good decision, which is another reason you healed so well. If only more PTs would be gentle with our brand new, very swollen knees, we’d all have better recoveries. I don’t understand how some of them can think that causing us so much pain is helpful.

The best thing that came out of being hurt by my PT is that I started googling and found Bonesmart. I’ve been here ever since!

I wish you continued success as you recover your way.

This is one of our mantras:

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Jockette

BoneSmart Staff
Country
I see that no one gave you our Recovery Guidelines. Better late than never, so here they are. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Tall Texan