Reverse Shoulder Replacement Long Wait for Reverse Shoulder Replacement.

I found out yesterday that I will probably have a GA with a brachial artery nerve block. The nerve block will be ultrasound-guided, so that it is placed beside the brachial artery, and it will be left in place for 24 to 36 hours, as part of the pain relief protocol.

I had an ultrasound guided nerve block and general anesthetic for my rotator cuff surgery. They didn't leave anything in, but the nerve block was expected to last up to 24 hours and that was about right on the mark. My pain level shot up quickly when it wore off but I got it under control relatively quickly because I took pain meds when it started to ramp up. That first dose of meds was higher than I needed for any dose after that.

@Celle - they actually let me watch the screen as they did the nerve block. It was interesting to be able to see the big bunch of nerves in the area. Just like using Esparel in hip replacement, the nerve block really helps keep the initial pain down.

Thank you, Sara. It's comforting to know someone else who has been through this.

I know I had the nerve block too. As remember I told the anesthetist, to Please be VERY careful, I have one messed up nerve on my RT hand already. He said he was ultrasound guided, & pointed to the screen. Then I was put under I guess, as That was the last thing I remember? Timing wise. I was put under about 6:30am & it & any pain meds? wore off at Midnight. Awful pain woke me up. Might try taking a pill before sleeping? As it took 5 hrs & two pills to get under control.

I had all my pre-op tests taken yesterday - blood, urine, nasal swab.

I also had a pre-op visit to a PT, who was very helpful. She showed me a couple of exercises to strengthen the muscles I will be using more after surgery and she taped the top of my shoulder, to give it a bit more support.

I wish more doctors prescribed a preop PT visit (and a bit further out from surgery). Prehabbing can make rehabbing easier!

I have a urine infection. Hoping it can be cured quickly, or my surgery may have to be postponed.

@Celle Prayers going up for speedy healing from the UTI :prayer:

WOW a UTI!? Good thing they tested urine. They didn't do mine?(& I have a history of no symptom ones!). Cranberry juice & lots of water...... fingers crossed.

Thanks for the support. I saw a doctor today and she has decided to keep me on the antibiotic to which my infection is sensitive for an extra week, and send me for a repeat test at one week, to check that the infection is on its way out. Sensible woman!

Oh, @Celle , I hope surgery isn't being delayed but just that they'll be watching this infection!

Wishing you all the best for your upcoming surgery NZ time on Thursday.

It's all on for tomorrow, the 21st. I have to be at the hospital at 7 a.m.

@Celle All the best tomorrow! So happy that you are finally getting this done!

Thinking of you and hoping your surgery and recovery are textbook perfect!

@Celle Finally the waiting will be over! Holding space for you and looking forward to seeing your post-op thread :friends: :fingersx: :angel:

Best wishes....you are finished now and I look forward to seeing you on the post-op page!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom