THR Long term hip pain

omruds

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
THR 2012 with large bone graft.

Despite an X Ray (2017) showing my implant was secure, I'm plagued with movement pain in the hip, which now seems to be focussed in the upper buttock. At one point I felt something 'go' (2017) and was on crutches for several weeks with sharp pain in the side of the hips radiating into the upper buttock. The best way of pinpointing the pain is if I try to do the clamshell exercise, the pain is acute in the buttock. My hip always stiffens and gets painful after walking/gardening etc. My GP diagnosed Trochanteric Bursitis in 2017, but I can't believe that this condition would persist for so many years. After the covid issues subside, I will visit my GP again, but despite the positive X Ray, I have a persistent niggle that something has either gone wrong with the implant or maybe long term issues like mine are more common than I thought after THR. Not to be too negative, but it's stopping a lot of my enjoyment of life particularly exercise and gardening. Would appreciate any advice thanks.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@omruds Sorry you are still having this nagging pain. Have you seen your surgeon since your THR?

When your GP diagnosed bursitis what treatment did you receive?

What type of exercising are you doing and how often?

Have you ever had any lumbar spine issues?

Sorry for so many questions but it's a bit hard to advise without the information.

OP
OP
omruds

omruds

Country
Hello,

Yes, I've seen my surgeon at least twice since THR; the last time was when these issues started. He assured me the implant was secure based on his X Ray and observation.

My GP recommended physio which consisted of two or three exercises (to strengthen glutes etc.) which I incorporate daily as part of my stretching/yoga routine.

I have cervical spondylosis, along with occasional lower back issues and generally poor flexibility which I've had since I was in my twenties.

I do stretching/yoga daily along with some fitness band strength work perhaps twice a week. I find stretching gives me most relief from the arthritis aches and pains.

I used to love walking/stationary bike but have severely curtailed this as the hip stiffens up with quite a bit of pain, especially after I stand up after sitting for a while.

I've used pain killers/ice but it's only a temporary relief.

Thank you.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Have you tried stopping all the different stretches and exercises for a while? Hopefully when you're icing it's for 45-60 minutes at a time and multiple times a day. I was diagnosed with trochanteric bursitis, was given a cortisone shot by my GP, can't say if it did or didn't help. All I know is this bursitis just likes to hang on. Mine tends to feel like someone is using a cheese grater on my thigh and hip. Hopefully you find something that helps, I definitely feel for you.

OP
OP
omruds

omruds

Country
Thank you, I've tried resting, ice etc but it's only temporary relief. I've also done a bit more research since posting and will mention potential sacroiliac joint pain issues to my surgeon just in case this may also be a factor, particularly with the sharp pain in gluteal area. It will also be good to get another X Ray when I can to rule out implant issues.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
I have SI joint issues. After my LTHR they were very aggravated. I worked with an osteopath who said my SI joints were locked. I also saw a PT with spinal expertise who did deep muscle massage.
two or three exercises (to strengthen glutes etc.)
These may have aggravated the situation since you say you have sharp pain your gluteal area.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Disney Mom
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom