TKR Loneshark64’s recovery

Thank you! I try to make myself laugh where I can. I read your post and I also have struggled with anxiety and depression over the years. I can cry on a dime. I have been OK with this though so far. I do have a lot of anxiety about my wife’s workload. She struggles with chronic depression and lack of sleep is a trigger. I Usually spend a lot of energy trying to do things to keep her out of that zone . But now I can’t. I can’t do the things and so she has to and there is little I can do about it. She is doing well though and is on top of everything like a drill sergeant and so maybe it’s just me. We just have to get through this knee thing and then the other knee and on we go for the next 30 years of marital bliss
❤️❤️❤️

Day 10ish. I stopped taking the 5mg Oxycodone yesterday, I took the last one at about 230am yesterday morning. I had been taking five in a 24 hr period and they work but were starting to make me feel very bad. The pain has lessened to an ache really except for little sharper pains from time to time and the discomfort when I first stand up and things like that. I cut my intake down to one pill during the day on Thursday and otherwise took Tylenol and Aleve. I took 2 overnight, then stopped. I did fine during the day, and had a great PT session and went to the movies with my wife. The movies was uncomfortable because I couldn't straighten my leg but otherwise fine.

Long story short the day is fine with Aleve/Tylenol but I ache all night. Not horrible; the sort of thing that's fine in the day but lying in bed trying to sleep is hard. I think I will have to live with this for a while but don't like moving around in the bed uncomfortably and waking up my wife. It was compounded last night by mild Oxy withdrawal - sweating, runny nose etc - so hopefully will be better tonight. I don't sleep well anymore in general but the dull ache is tedious. I understand that I could take the Oxy longer and nobody would fault me etc but I know from previous knee surgeries that 2 weeks on opiates is the outer limit for me and if I felt like this after 9 days I am done with it. Eventually you have to switch it off and it is different for different people and this is the right time for me.

Any advice on getting thorough the night appreciated. Otherwise all is good. Bandage is off, walking with cane, good for 10 days along other than tired all the time.

Last edited:
You are really doing well. I can't imagine sitting in a theater to watch a movie. I also can't imagine sharing my bed through these long nights. I am up and down, lights on and off, staring at the computer, playing video games, etc.

You know yourself and what you can tolerate with your drugs. It's too bad you can't continue them for a little while longer just at night.

Good luck. I hope things improve quickly.

Thank you. Movie was funny, it was Little Women and it was with a women’s group that my wife is in. Guests were allowed but naturally I was the only man. The women were mostly older and half of them had knee replacements and the other half knew someone. Being Maine women they didn’t fawn over me, I can tell you that. It was “toughen up, get moving, get rid of that walker” etc. I told them I had just about enough Little Women mouthing off for one day.

I iced almost all night to lessen my pain. Have you tried that?

Ice is a natural painkiller. I think you'll find it to help a lot. I would sleep, then once the water started to warm up, my knee would start to hurt and wake me up. I'd change out my ice bucket and fall right back to sleep after a few minutes of that wonderful circulating cold water!

I hope it works for you.

Those nights can be rough! I did the same getting off oxy at 2 weeks but I was taking the Tramadol/Tylenol combo just at night for an additional 2-4 weeks. I was able to fall asleep but then would wake up 3-4 hours and then ICE and fall back asleep. I had the hardest time finding a comfortable position as I couldn't tolerate being on my side. Finally, at about 8 weeks was able to tolerate side sleeping and no more meds other than Tylenol. Good luck....I saw little women this afternoon too! No way I could have sat in that theater at 2 weeks!

What did you do after the first week?

Sorry that I didn’t respond to this question already. After I stopped the Oxycodone, I added ibuprofen, which isn’t a pain reliever, but could help with the swelling and inflammation, according to my doctor. Check with your doctor if decide you want to try this because ibuprofen can be hard on other systems in your body, like your stomach.

I also iced and elevated all the time for the first month. And I insisted on no more painful trauma to the knee at PT.

I still can’t manage movie theatre seats, except for the plush theatre where they have ottomans in the front row. That’s how I saw Little Women, which I loved. I also loved your comment to the book club, though I’m surprised they didn’t sabotage your walker after calling them ‘little women.’ Them’s fighting word, little man! :rotfl:

(Oh I hope that came out right!)

surprised they didn’t sabotage your walker after calling them ‘little women.’ Them’s fighting word, little man! :rotfl:

(Oh I hope that came out right

hahaha they drew first blood. But Inwas scared for a Moment I admit.

I am going to try the ibuprofen.

Good job!
They are well. Cheeto finds little dog biscuits and brings them to me in bed. It helps.
FD2F0D99-01FD-419F-9268-567382846CD0.jpeg

That is so sweet! Pets can be so much company and comfort during our recovery times.

Has the icing helped at night?

It has but I have been inconsistent. I typically start the night that way and go as long as the ice lasts.

I iced all night long. I would have to get up after about 4 hours and change out the frozen bottles in the ice machine, but was normally able to go right back to sleep afterward my knee got numb again. Are you using just ice packs? If so, maybe you could buy a couple more of them to be able to have one ready when you need it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom