THR LLD Due to Pelvic Tilt

The only exercises I’ve been doing withy PT is just a lot of stretching. Pretty simple exercises to help gain strength and promote muscle tone while stretching. I’ve been doing hooklying clamshells with resistance, heel slides, squeezing my glutes, and bridges. Just really light exercises. I’m 3 months out now and the only thing that really bothers me is the pain in my glute. The hamstrings connected to my glute muscle. Its so very painful to sit. What I’ve read it’s Ischial bursitis. I call it healing pain.
I’m so tired of all of this. Between LLD and now I can’t sit without being in pain. What’s next? Do you really think this is to much?

Last edited:
Diane60,
I’m 3 months out now and the only thing that really bothers me is the pain in my glute. The hamstrings connected to my glute muscle. Its so very painful to sit. What I’ve read it’s Ischial bursitis.
The clamshells may be contributing to your gluteal pain, and the bridges may be contributing to your hamstring and ischial tuberosity pain and bursitis.
Suggest you stop the clamshells and the bridges to give those areas a chance to settle down so you can sit comfortably. Sounds like they are inflamed and continuing to exercise them slow your healing at this time.

Thank you so much. After reading your comments, I have decided to take note of how I feel after 4 days without exercise. Maybe take a week from PT. Maybe continue with my aquatic therapy but give regular PT a break. I’ll see how I feel on Tuesday. I go back to the OS on Monday.

You should start feeling better when you give yourself a break.

I found that many of the glute strengthening exercises were very detrimental. Glutes are lazy muscles and all that was happening was my TFL was stepping in to help out. Resulting in an over active TFL with sore tendons.

New hips hate clamshells and bridges. These exercises are good for building core stability. But they do cause more harm than good when you are in recovery - especially of you are doing any of them with resistance bands. I will never understand why so many physio put patients into training mode. It always ends in tears.

Thank you. You all have really opened my eyes. I think I will cancel my upcoming appointments at PT and aquatic therapy.

Beckford: I wanted to ask you if you don’t mind. After your multiple dislocations mainly the last one.
Are you still out of work? Are you able to take care of yourself without help? I live alone and want to go home so bad but I have stairs. I’ve have been living with my mother since Sept. and need my independence but don’t know if i can do it by myself...scared.

I think I will cancel my upcoming appointments at PT and aquatic therapy.

Please do step away from the therapies for a time and see if you notice a difference. I’m betting you will. Not just for a visit or two, or a week, but several weeks. You can always return at a later date. After all, what do you have to lose but the pain?

Have a great weekend!

Hi Dianne, please ask as many questions as you like! By the way my real name is Jane.
Yes I am definitely not working. Since the last revision which resulted in the dislocations I had to give up work because I was simply in too much pain.
I can take care of myself but only just. It’s not easy and I am definitely not able to do any housework so I hired a cleaner just for two hours a week and that is a huge help. Luckily I live in a bungalow so stairs are not a problem.
I live with my husband who is not good round the house and I have to be honest I am a bit disappointed with his lack of help. However no man is perfect and he works very hard and financially he is very supportive. I am alone during the day and I have found that hard but I can manage little walks outside now which helps with the boredom and frustration. I don’t know what to say about you moving back home, I worry about those stairs! Could you perhaps stay with your mum a bit longer, I think you would find it very hard coping and living alone at this stage and you have come so far. If you are feeling scared now I think you would feel even more scared at home by yourself. You will know when you are ready to be independent again and from what I am hearing now is not the right time.

I have reached the 3 month post surgery timescale. I can walk short distances unaided , only on level even ground.
What I am struggling with now is doing any housework. It’s as if the other movements ie other than straight line walking are much more difficult, like turning circles , bending and negotiating obstacles slowly. My balance just isn’t there to do these every day basic jobs. I am hoping that as the leg gets stronger I will be able to gain better control of the leg.
Has anyone else found this ?

Layla, Jane,
Thank you for your helpful suggestions.
You know Jane, another reason I joined both therapies was so I wouldn’t go through the “boredom and frustration” sitting around my moms house. There is not much I can do right now and
PT was planning on working with me on my gait once I was able to do 100% weight on my hip. I can’t walk without a medical device but I need to dial it back a little to get through this pain in my glute. I do understand and totally agree. I will cancel my upcoming appointments for a few weeks until I’m pain free and I will stay with my mom for a few more weeks.

I have such a wonderful support group in BoneSmart. I don’t know how I would have made it this far without your support and kindness. Thank you so much.

I understand. It is so boring and you just want to get on with life, like I do. My revision was very complex and I have been warned it could be a year before I am comfortable on that hip. I had to have my femur broken to remove the stem. Was this the same for you. Also I noticed , you had a long period of time before your first dislocation. Was the hip good until then? Mine never felt right and I had my first dislocation about two months after surgery. Basically as soon as I started doing more and bending more. It’s so disappointing isn’t it !
I am always worried that it might happen again but somehow this hip feels much more secure. One of my dislocations happened while I was just standing at the kitchen sink!!

OMG! You poor thing! My heart goes out to you.
Well, my first dislocation happened while taking a shower in March 2019. My operation was in December 2018. I remember it just like yesterday. It was a beautiful warm March day and I opened my bedroom window to get some fresh air. I decided to wash my hair so I jumped in the shower. While washing my hair I guess I twisted just right and my hip dislocated and down I went. I hit my head on the tub and laid there screaming, crying and yelling for help for 4 hours. Finally, the neighborhood boy heard me screaming and ran to the neighbors for help. Opening my window was my savior. I live by myself and it was a Friday and no one would none anything until Monday when I didn’t show up for work.

My second dislocation was Sept 29 and then again Sept 30 while in Abingdon VA while bicycling the Virginia Creeper Trail. I said to my boyfriend while we were walking through the Autumn Fest, that something just wasn’t right with my hip. My hip doesn’t feel good. We walked down to the creek and I squatted down to the ground and my hip dislocated. They had to rescue me with a gator to get me off the trail.

I had two dislocations while at my moms and then I had one while in the hospital laying in bed. I push the button to raise my head up and my hip dislocated. Just so many horror stories and so much pain.

My femur did not have to be broken likes yours.
Now that I know what a good Hip feels like, no mind never felt completely right before the dislocation.

After my dislocation in Sept, the OS said that they need to create a custom hip and since I was on my fourth operation, I had to wait it out with a partially dislocated hip until my operation on May 30th.

This hip feels good. I’m like you with the worrying
That this is going to happen again.

After reading your text and talking about the ambulance ride to the hospital and the fentanyl, brought back my memories being the same but mine was Morphine and I kept begging for more because I was in agony. They went as high as they could go with the morphine and I was still in pain.

It’s so nice to have you to text to and understand what I have been through and what I’m going through. I will definitely stay in touch with you and let you know how my progress is going and you please do the same.

Hi Dianne
Yes I know the horror story and the pain is indescribable. Where you ever given an explanation as to why your hip kept dislocating? My latest consultant felt that the angle of my socket was not great and this was probably the cause.
Yes it’s good to be able to communicate with someone who has had a similar experience, you have to go through a dislocation to understand just how painful it is. How awful that you were in the shower and thank god someone heard your cries for help.
I had a four hour wait for the ambulance the first time. All I could do was stay as still as possible and shift my weight off that side.
I think you said that you see your consultant tomorrow? Let’s hope you can start putting weight through the leg. You have had a very long time non weight bearing and it will take time to build the strength up again. But you will get there and this will all be behind you and you can start enjoying life and doing the things you love. Let me know how you get on, I will be thinking of you .

Jane, you mentioned that you have just order a stationary bike. How long have you been 100%. Did you learn to walk with a cane first? Who helped you to walk again? I’m still thinking of PT and how they were planning on working with me on my gait and stairs. I do agree I need a break for my glutes and not do all of the exercises they have me do but I would love to get in there and ride a stationary bike. Was it long before you did stairs on your own? Since I’ve already had one hip done, I’m no stranger to learning stairs. Good go to heaven and bad to hell, or that’s how they taught me. Good leg vs bad leg.

Last edited:
Thank you Helen, while of course I would never wish any of these problems on others it is encouraging when one hears that someone else encountered the same or similar problem and it got better. It is a strange one this because I can now walk about a mile unaided but get me in the kitchen or housework and I am all over the place. BoneSmart is lovely and I feel like not only am I making new friends it has helped me so much with the awful feeling of loneliness, so bless you and thank you for sparing me your thoughts and time .

Hi, I am replying to Diane ,
Firstly, I am nowhere near 100%. Way way off that. I am only just weaning off crutches. I can do very short walks unaided but tire very quickly. I am fully expecting this to take a year. I can’t even do housework yet so I rely a lot on help. With the walking, I just keep trying but my leg is still very weak. The bike I have bought is a very simple indoor excercise bike and you can increase the resistance but st this stage I will be happy if I can just manage the actual motion of movement. I don’t intend using any resistance yet, it would be too soon. We actually live in a bungalow so I haven’t really tried stairs. My own little daily routine is pretty dull but I keep trying. I do a short walk, then rest for a couple of hours, always on the bed with my leg nice and comfortable. Then I go off and walk for another 20 -30: minutes and that’s how I cope. O and I should mention I did use one crutch for many weeks before I tried walking on my own. Another little trick I used was walking around our kitchen island with one hand on the work top for support. It’s hard and progress is slow. For example I seemed to be able to do more yesterday than I can today! For some reason my energy has given up on me today but it seems to go in stages. Keep trying and just set yourself really little goals. I think you have to compare recovery on a monthly basis, it’s not just going to happen overnight sadly! I wish it could because it is a tough time especially when the weather is nice and you just want to get on with life. I really do understand

Hi Diane, just checking in! Hope you are feeling a bit brighter and optimistic. We will both have the patience of a saint after all this. Honestly looking back about 7 years ago I had my left hip revised. I had a long stem and the bone had to be taken apart to remove it and that took a whole year before I could walk on it.
On the other hand the right hip which I had revised two years ago , I was walking 3 miles a day after 3 weeks!!
As I keep reading here on BoneSmart, every recovery is different and of course the difficult bit is that at this stage we simply don’t know how long it will take. I don’t know about you but I simply hate not knowing!! Sending love from a wet windy Wiltshire

Hello Jane,

Thanks for checking in on me. I am feeling more optimistic. I had my three month doctor appointment at the University of Virginia Medical Center (UVA) on Monday, Aug 17. The OS was very pleased with the x-rays. Nothing has slipped and everything looks pretty stable. He suggested that I give it a couple more months and has granted me 100% weight bearing but stressed that I need to take it slow.

He said the pain that I have been feeling in my lower glute Is due to all the hardware in my new hip and that my body needs to except this foreign object. I attached a copy of what my hip looks like now, I hope I’m allowed to send a pic. If you can enlarge the pic, you’ll see what I’m talking about regarding my “pain in the butt”. I’m sitting on screws!!!!

Thanks for sharing your experiences as I know all to well how recovery is different and how no two hips are the same. When I had my left hip replaced, I to was out and about in 3 weeks. My right hip on the hand has been a total nightmare.

You know, I couldn’t have said it better myself, “I hate the not knowing and I continue to learn more and gain more patience each day.

It’s been so nice chatting with you and hope to hear from you again soon. Please have a safe and enjoyable weekend.

Sending love back to you from the beautiful Shenandoah Valley in Virginia.

Show original message

Attachments

• 52370B3A-B23C-48F1-AA5E-6CF135F43ED5.jpeg
    52370B3A-B23C-48F1-AA5E-6CF135F43ED5.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018