THR LLD Due to Pelvic Tilt

Good Morning, Diane :wave:
Stopping by to say Hi. Wondering how you’re doing on your two month anniversary since surgery? I hope you‘re feeling a bit better since you last posted. Please remember we’re here if you’re needing support or encouragement.
Best Wishes for a peaceful week of healing.
@Diane60

@Diane60 . Just stopping by to see how you are doing and if the lymphatic massage helped any. Recovery is always a journey and you have had many in such a short period of time. I imagine your patience muscle is quite worn out. However, keep exercising it and slow and steady will get you through this recovery also. I wish you a peaceful night.

Hello to all,

I’m back to say hello and to let you know what has been going on with me. So far, I still have LLD and cannot walk without a walker. I feel that my depression goes up and down all the time. The numbness in my foot has gone down a bit. I know I still have to give it time.

I go to PT twice a week. Due to my weight restrictions, I’m only doing exercises like Supine HIP ADDUCTION w/ball, Knee Fallouts, BRIDGE with resistance band, QUADRICEPS, ANKLE PUMPS, HEEL SLIDES and HOOKLYING CLAMSHELLS. I’m not 100% weight yet but I go back to the OS on the 17th of Aug. I’m hopeful he’ll allow 100% weight.

I have been so depressed from just sitting around and only getting out 2x’s a week. I’m missing my home (1 hr away), missing my kitty and missing being at work doing normal stuff but with this awful virus, I might be home anyway. I’m still on LTD.

I think with a lot of prayers, it led me to consider enrolling in AQUATIC REHABILITATION THERAPY with a prescription from my OS of course. My first day is Aug 10 for a consultation with the Therapist and hopefully some pool time. The reason for joining the pool is that I feel it will help me with balance and also allow me to strengthen my leg muscles more than just regular PT. Hopefully and I pray, I’ll have the ability to walk again. I do plan to continue with PT twice a week but then aquatic on off days.

I’m so discouraged about the LLD. My operation was in May and yet I still can’t walk, i.e. depression!!! I ended up skipping all my home exercises for a whole week but I was very honest with my PT. She was not very happy by all means. I’m struggling but have managed to do all my exercises this week however weak they might be.

Well that pretty much sums it up for me. I’m so glad I wrote in and I hope to hear from anyone that could share some helpful information. I miss chatting with everyone.

Last edited:
I feel that my depression goes up and down all the time.

I’m sorry to read this again, Diane.
I guess having ups and downs is better than being steadily depressed. Consider speaking with someone about this if you haven’t already. Possibly you can take something for a short time as a bridge to a more peaceful emotional state.

I‘m not sure how you’re reacting physically to PT, but I’ve always heard that Clamshells and Bridges are hard on new hips. Bridges are a core stability exercise and put a lot of pressure in an area where soft tissue and muscle was recently traumatized. They can cause tendonitis in quads, glutes and ham strings which I learned from our recently retired forum nurse who had 50+ yrs experience in Orthopedics. Clamshells are especially hard on the IT band and can also cause issues such as tendonitis.

Please consider structuring your days ahead of time. The busier you are the less time you’ll have to ruminate over all that’s bothering you physically, or mentally. It doesn't have to be physical activity, it can be mental. If you’re able, invite company over or see if someone can pick you up, or meet you for a restaurant meal, or even coffee somewhere.

I do plan to continue with PT twice a week but then aquatic on off days.

Wondering if this may be too much for you at this early date? Please speak with your surgeon about this first, not your PT.

I was very honest with my PT. She was not very happy by all means.
She is not your surgeon, nor the boss of you. Please keep that in mind.

I’m struggling but have managed to do all my exercises this week however weak they might be.
Please stop.
I don’t believe you need to push yourself this hard. You shouldn’t be “struggling”.

Stop by more often if you enjoy chatting. We’re here for you and we care.
I hope you have a nice week!

I ended up skipping all my home exercises for a whole week but I was very honest with my PT. She was not very happy by all means.
I don't understand that with the PTs. What's their problem? They're there to guide you to return to activity safely. If you experience a setback, it's not like they're the ones who can't walk/use hands/etc. Do they not get it at all how mental this all is along with physical?
You'll be fine. I agree with everyone that time and steady activity will be best instead of pushing yourself. Some pushing may be necessary sometimes, but don't hurt yourself yet.

Thank you all for your replies. It’s all about the LLD. Also, I’m living at home with my 88 year old mother whom I appreciate so much for all she has and is doing for me. You can’t help not feeling like a failure. Not my house, not even my town. I read and work on the computer and even take a ride with my BF but It doesn’t escape me that I can’t walk!

Like I said it’s the LLD. I hear what folks are saying, give it time, etc. but considering my situation, 7 dislocations and 4 operations, it’s really hard to believe it’s will get better...walking without assistance, walking normal again. I would even accept a limp but to lose it all and not be able to walk, or hike or even dance again is all just so, so sad for me. My operation was in May!!!!

I know you didn’t expect to hear this again from me but nothing has really changed. I haven’t been texting because I’ve been healing and trying to give it time but I just need to talk to someone and who better than my friends from BoneSmart.

Last edited:
Hi, Diane....I'm sorry to hear you're feeling down right now, but please know you are not alone in this. Even people who are not in recovery are having bouts with depression because of the sudden and dramatic changes to our way of life because of COVID.

It doesn't help that you're not home in your own surroundings. And you recognize that it's an awkward arrangement to have your mother caring for you at this point in your life. But think about what a rewarding experience this must be for her. At 88, she is a nurturer again to her beloved daughter. You two are making memories that will be with you forever. I can promise that later you will treasure this time you spent together. In fact, you might want to journal about it (you can do it here in your thread if you like) to write down some of the caring or funny things that happen each day. After the time is over and you're home, you'll forget all those little moments. Years from now it will be wonderful to go back, read them again, and remember these points in time.

After all you and your hip have been through the past year, two months out from your surgery really is early in the recovery process. I'm sure you know that and maybe even you're not happy that you cannot move along faster, but your body is in charge here. Be consoled knowing it knows how to heal and will take care of that for you. Our bodies are true miracles!

I think your idea of the pool exercises is a good one. My only caution is for you to start off VERY slow and easy. The water supports you and allows you to move better than on dry land, so it's easy to overdo your pool time if you're not careful. See how you feel after each therapy session and observe whether you have any pain or discomfort the next day after one of them. That would indicate you need to scale back for a while. I suggest a program of the water exercises on Mondays and your regular therapy on Thursdays to start.

As Layla mentioned in her post above, some of those exercises your therapist is having you do can irritate sensitive tissue especially in the early recovery days. If you find yourself with any pain the day following a session, let your therapist know and make adjustments. That pain would mean your body isn't quite ready for that particular activity just yet.

I hope you're granted the approval to bear more weight. That will make you feel less restricted and it will help with your hip tilt. I know the leg discrepancy is getting to you, but it really cannot begin to resolve itself properly until you are able to walk with a normal gait. As long as you cannot fully weight bear, that's not possible, so it's going to require patience until you get to that point. But, I promise we'll have a giant virtual BoneSmart celebration on the day your surgeon says to start walking normally again. :loveshwr:

Please lean on your BoneSmart family for mental support and maybe a diversion or two during the day with an update on how you're doing. That's what we're here for and .... believe me .... each of us understands what you're going through!

I am really sorry about the seeming lack of progress. It is truly disheartening. I have been in your place, wondering what my life would be like if my mobility went poof. And now you're living it. I would love to give you a hug.

One thing you need to focus on: this is not something you chose to do, correct? This illness and struggle is not something you decided one morning to impose on your loved ones for selfish reasons. There is absolutely zero need and/or use to feel guilt over this. You may need to have to find a new way of life, find different ways to help out and be productive, obtain some semblance of mobility, but guilt is not gonna get you or your loved ones anything. Take a deep breath and accept that you are not at fault here, you still have value to people around you, and you are still a wonderful, wholesome individual with strengths and talents that didn't go anywhere. These may be harsh words. Your recovery may take a very long time. Don't give up yet.

Hugs, hugs, hugs.

I have a few questions: how long do you continue doing PT and aquatic therapy before you finally realize that you do indeed have a LLD and that no amount of therapy is going to make you walk without a limp or that one day your hips will be even again. When do you start using a cane and or make an appointment with a podiatrist for a shoe lift. Aug 30 will be 3 months for me and I’m enrolled in both PT and aquatic therapy. Haven’t put 100% weight on hip yet other than in aquatic therapy. Could 100% weight make a difference in my LLD? I kind of doubt it. I need to get started living a somewhat normal life again with or without LLD and I feel stuck in the present situation with LLD not knowing what to do next. I need to move back home and live by myself, get back to work and not be afraid of all the stairs in my house or afraid of falling or having yet another dislocation. Any comments would be much appreciated.

You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. Bookmark it if you can, so you don't lose it.
Don't worry that we won't see your questions as, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Hi Diane,
I’m wondering when you’re scheduled to see your surgeon again? If it isn’t soon, consider calling his office to pose some of these questions. I’m sure either your surgeon or a member of his care team may best advise being familiar with your case history. I’m sorry you continue to struggle and I understand your desire to get back to the familiar surroundings of home, work and a life without discomfort. I do think given your history your journey may be a bit longer, but that doesn’t mean you won’t eventually experience complete healing. Please hold onto hope and phone your surgeon’s office for some insight and direction as to next steps.

Wishing you comfort as you continue healing.
@Diane60

Thanks Layla, I actually go back this Monday, 17 Aug. I guess I feel like most surgeons do what they need to do which would be hip replacements and I don’t feel they sympathize and answer questions. Last time I went, he said the balls are even but your hips are tilted and that was that. More or less, they did their job now you take care of the LLD.

You’re welcome, Diane. Since you’re not fully weight bearing, what is making you feel so strongly you’re dealing with LLD? How would you really know at this point when you’re not ever properly balanced due to the weight bearing restrictions? Just trying to understand.

Please make a list of questions to ask on Monday and either record the visit, or bring someone with if you’re able. It’s easy to forget all that’s said when you’re alone and often thinking about your next question. Your case is a bit more complicated given your history, but please ask all the questions and don’t leave until you’re satisfied you’ve been heard.
@Diane60

Let us know how it goes if you don’t mind sharing. Good Luck!!
Have a great weekend, Diane. :)

I thought I had a very slight LLD after my first hip and at my 1yr visit my OS checked it out and agreed. I was given the choice of using a lift or not at that point. Most of the time I chose not since I love being barefoot or easy sandals and it was slight. I gave it plenty of time (1yr) as you can see with full weight bearing to make sure it was not caused by a residual limp I had to overcome from limping for over a year before surgery or from my muscles healing. It takes quite a bit for our bodies to adjust to a normal stance or walk after months or years of walking to compensate for hip pain. Please talk to your OS about your issues and see what they advise. Keep asking till you get answers as Layla advised and having all the questions written down helps. I had my husband with me at the appointments but also took the time to write down their answers so I had them as a reference for home

Could 100% weight make a difference in my LLD? I kind of doubt it. I need to get started living a somewhat normal life again with or without LLD and I feel stuck in the present situation with LLD not knowing what to do next.
Diane60, of course it makes a difference when you are not fully weight bearing. You will have a limp until you get a proper weight bearing gait going.

Please try to be patient with the healing process. Your recovery has been slowed somewhat by being non-weight bearing. You've got to accept that and not think about leg discrepancies until you've had several weeks or maybe even months walking with full weight on your new hip. I would be extremely surprised if this doesn't resolve quickly once you're back home and able to place full weight on your leg.
There is no set time frame for any of this other than to say it can take up to a year for a person to fully heal from any joint replacement surgery.

I had my revision just 5 days before you , it’s a long recovery, especially if they had to break the femur to remove the stem. I know from my own experience that 3 months feels like a very long time. Are you not permitted to put any weight through the leg yet ? I was touch toe weight bearing for 6 weeks, then my consultant told me I could put full weight on the leg. Well of course this was almost impossible and I still can’t really take all my weight. I think you will find Hip’s often feel longer and when you start full weight bearing they sort of bed in if that makes sense. I really wouldn’t worry about it at this point, in fact lots of people have slight leg length differences and they don’t even realise.
I am the worlds worst worrier! I have been so tired since my surgery and I got worried about that today and started googling which you should never do ! It’s always going to come up with something to frighten the life out of you. I had 6 dislocations prior to my latest revision so it’s no wonder we get concerned about things going wrong. That’s why this site is so good as you can communicate with people who know what you are going through.
Wishing you well.
Jane

Wow, it sounds like you been through just as much as I have with your 6 dislocations. I am so sorry. I know how very, very painful this can be. I worry myself to death as well. I go back to the OS on Monday, 17 Aug. After receiving a custom hip on May 20, I started with toe touch, to 50% and hopefully Monday, the OS will allow 100% weight. I have no balance and cannot walk without a walker. I guess I worry about the LLD way to much because not only do I see it but feel it as well. Do you have LLD from having so many dislocations?

I have lived with a leg length difference all my life and I have used a shoe raise. Interestingly since my revision my longer leg actually feels longer still and so I have been feeling concerned about that. However when I look back at my numerous surgeries this has been the case before and once you get walking on your newly operated leg it really will feel more even. At the end of the day if you needed a small heel lift that’s a much brighter picture than living with a bad hip that has given you so much pain with multiple dislocations. The first time mine dislocated I really never had experienced pain at that level. Just getting me on the stretcher to get me to hospital was a nightmare and that was with fentanyl pain relief. I have had a very active life riding horses, show jumping, cross country so I understand how much this loss of freedom must be affecting you. It is however temporary so keep that in mind. It’s not forever. And by the way I completely agree with the BoneSmart philosophy re physio. I don’t do any physio , just walking and I ordered a stationary bike yesterday.
Lots of people are going to disagree with me on this point but my belief is it can cause more harm than good, ie tendon issues, bursitis, IT Band problems.
Just going about your normal daily living moves you around and the rest will come. Swimming is a lovely gentle all round strengthening excercise. I would focus on getting to full weight bearing and give yourself time then see where you are .

Just to add to my above points, you won’t have balance at the moment because your leg can’t take all your weight. My balance isn’t great but as my leg gets stronger the balance improves. Until you can stand on the operated leg for 30 seconds you won’t have good balance. We both have a long way to go, revision hips are a much bigger operation than primary hips.
I hope I have given you some reassurance!

Lots of people are going to disagree with me on this point but my belief is it can cause more harm than good, ie tendon issues, bursitis, IT Band problems.
On the contrary, I think there is a lot of evidence on the site that exercising too much too early can be very detrimental to long term recovery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back