TKR Lizziebeth's recovery thread

@Lizziebeth
You'll notice that I have merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. Your recent post was about your recovery, you will receive more replies to your concerns in your own thread.
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

I am puzzled by the response of the "team member" saying if you use your TRK too much it will wear out in 10 years, studies are showing around 85% of TKRs are still doing well after 25 years. Many of these people have lead very active lives, hiking, climbing, skiing, singles tennis, etc.
You do want to listen to your knees, if they are more painful, swollen, stiff, achy, of course you need to slow down, you are still in recovery.

My condolences on the loss of your Mother, glad you were able to be nearby for her.

Lizziebeth, I’m sorry to hear about your mother. :console2: Moving into her home for a time was an excellent idea.

@pumpkin
Thanks for explaining that. I don't do twitter or any social media so I'm at a bit of a loss sometimes. but your explanation has made contacting one person so much easier for me. I must admit the consultant confused me. I can't spend my life avoiding stairs, but I'll mention it to the physio on Tuesday.

@pumpkin
Sorry, I didn't realise I'd started new thread - I thought I'd tagged on to the old one.

Stairs can take a while to have the strength to do, but strength returns as we heal, and as we slowly increase using the new knee.

As Pumpkln said, always listen to your knee. If you try something and it hurts, either at the time or later on, take a break from that activity and then try it again at a later time. It’s a balancing act. As you continue to heal you will find things come easier and you don’t have to think about it.

I think that member of the team isn't very clued up yet. He/she told you a bunch of baloney.
Your left TKR is 9 months old now and it should be capable of supporting your newer TKR without any problem. The whole idea of having a knee replacement is so that you can eventually use it normally.

Hi @Lizziebeth I had tkr a couple of days before you, I haven't used crutches or stick for a couple of weeks, indoor or out and my pt is happy with that, she's watched me walk and encouraged ne to go up and downstairs. I have only had one knee done though which may make a difference, maybe tbe bilateral tkrs will give u more opinions?

Hi,
Does anyone suffer with Restless Legs Syndrome, and if so how is it it affecting your recovery?
Prior to surgery mine only affected me at night. I was given new medication at Christmas time which worked wonders and I slept through most nights, but now I find my legs drive me mad when I'm trying to rest during the day either on the chair or bed and I have no option but to get up and walk around or do some ironing or baking.
I'd love to hear from anyone with this problem.

Restless leg syndrome drove me bonkers for the first five weeks after my surgery. A few minutes after laying down in bed without fail the surgical leg would start acting up and with that came the uncomfortable pain in my knee. Sleep was at a premium. If I got in an hour or two hours of sleep a night I was lucky. Someone that I trust and respect recommended trying magnesium citrate 500 mg and I've been sleeping like a log ever since.

@Lizziebeth , yes!!! Taking iron supplements helped. I can always tell when it’s going to be bothersome at night. Taking a hot shower helps me to relax and settle in for the night.

Someone that I trust and respect recommended trying magnesium citrate 500 mg and I've been sleeping like a log ever since.
What brand do you use?

Just a little reminder to everyone - do make sure that your own doctor is aware if you are taking any supplements.

@Jockette
Thanks for the links. The article on RLS was very interesting. I take Pramipexole at night but will speak to the GP after the Bank Holiday to see if taking one of the supplements will help me through the day.

@TimeBuster
You have my sympathy. RLS is difficult to explain to someone who doesn't have it. Mine is a kind of itch or irritation, and when I sit the sensation drives me mad. I have prescription Pramipexole, which was used to treat Parkinson's and that did work fine at night until a couple of weeks ago but now, as soon as my legs feel the bed beneath them they start a terrible deep itching and only walking around eases it. My legs also drive me mad through the day when I'm trying to rest, all I can do about it is get up and walk around.
I'll speak to my GP to make sure Magnesium won't interfere with the other drugs I take before buying them - thanks for the tip.

@Irish471
@Lizziebeth , yes!!! Taking iron supplements helped. I can always tell when it’s going to be bothersome at night. Taking a hot shower helps me to relax and settle in for the night.
That's really interesting - I can tell if its going to be bad as soon as I get into bed. My legs seem to object to the pressure of lying on the bed and immediately start playing up.
My daughter bought me an electric reclining chair before my first TKR. It was wonderful for that recovery, but now I find it has the same affect as the bed and I can't stand my legs resting on it - if that makes sense.
Hope you had a restful night last night

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks