THR Living with a THR - Trusting It!!

Lucielou

Country
United States United States
Hello All New and Seasoned Hippies!!!
I am five weeks out of LTHR and doing great!! Had my post op appt today and all is well. I am walking without pain, able to do my PT exercises and appreciating improvements almost daily. Physically - I have no complaints.

My thoughts and feelings are another story!! When am I going to trust in my new hip? One example is that while driving I find my thoughts saying "don't hit me!!" - I didn't think that while driving before surgery. I worry about being in a crowd and being bumped. I worry about dislocation. I am scared to try new movements. Before surgery I was a bit of a clutz, a falling hazard you could say; now I worry about falling.

I know that I am not doing myself any favors thinking like this. I don't want to be nervous, scared or anxious. I want to trust my new hip. I'm not persevering, I don't dwell; I find myself surprised by some of my thoughts.

Does this sound familiar? What have you felt? How have you gained trust in your new hip(s)??

Hi Lucielou! Been there, done that, got the t-shirt :heehee:. I am still waiting for my new hip, but I went through that after my BTKR. It was my brain telling me that I could not possible stand on two fake knees. But the implant soon starts feeling "normal" and little by little you will forget you even have a new hip. I fully expect to have the same worries again once I have my new hip. I will definitely worry about dislocation, I will worry about being bumped in the car.

One thing that I find helps with all the worries and doubts which come with joint replacement surgery - come on here and talk about it. You are not alone with those thoughts. If nothing else you will see that you are not alone. I think only someone who has gone through the surgery can understand what you're going through; friends and family can be sympathetic, but in my experience, they don't really "get it". This place is great - you can vent as much as you like!

Wishing you a speedy recovery! You seem to be doing well so far!

Thoughts about what might happen with my hip if I were in a car accident sometimes fleetingly cross my mind. I wonder if my injuries would be worse if I were to sustain leg injuries and force was applied to the hip. After all, there is this huge piece of metal inside the femur which could break the bone or be rammed into the pelvis. I try not to dwell on such things for too long. You have to get on with living your life as accidents can happen to anyone at anytime. I hope that never happens.

As far as dislocation goes I was more worried about that possibility with my first hip replacement which was unstable than I am with my revision hip replacement. I am 9-1/2 weeks post revision surgery, saw my OS today and can come off my crutches gradually. I had already been taking a couple of steps unaided here and there over the last couple of days and although a little uncomfortable, it feels more stable than the first time around.

I think you will gain more confidence as time goes by and you get on with your life. It is early days for you yet.

@Lucielou what was your surgery date? I'll pop it into your signature for you.

I remember this feeling post LTHR. I had to have spinal surgery on the right side of my spine and wondered how in the heck would be able to function with a new left hip. Truth is - there was no problem. Sure you have those "tender" days. The the worry of dislocation is always in the back of your mind at first. But you will soon get to the stage of having a forgotten hip. It takes time - so patience is prescribed.

Meanwhile don't forget - these implants are tough. I have fallen several times post both THRs and other than a bruised ego - all is well.

I'm about 3 months post op and don't even think about it anymore for the most part. I went to an amusement park with the family this past weekend and had to think for a minute why the metal detector was going off... :)
The more you use it, the more you'll get accustomed to it, and the more natural it will feel!
metal.jpg

@Jaycey - My surgery date was 6/13/17.

Thank you all for acknowledging my concerns and sharing with me your similar experiences!! It's so wonderful to be here with people who can empathize with me!!! Helpful beyond the written word.
I do look forward to the day I forget I have it (while still being grateful that I do!)!!!

Well you surgery date confirms to me - still early days for you. All this takes time but your confidence will grow. Just keep taking the slow and steady approach. You are on your way to that forgotten hip!

I am nine weeks post LTHR and can honestly say that I am completely pain free and operating as normal, driving, walking,gardening, mowing, looking after grandchildren etc., and I hardly ever even think about my hip now. It is part of me and although I am aware that if I overdo things I will still be sore, I really do not worry about doing anything. Once you get used to being able to move around and do normal things without pain you will trust your new hip and be happy with it.

Hi, I've had the same thoughts, feelings, concerns you mentioned. Mainly, will I ever forget about my artificial hip and just feel like myself again? (Self before arthritis /pain) Both my parents had hip replacements, in addition I know of another person also. I've asked all three if they ever forget they have an artificial hip or if they're always aware. They all had the same answer.....Yes, you forget and go long periods without even thinking about it.
We will get there!!

My THR was more than 7 years ago. If I weren't involved with this forum, I would never give my hip a thought. Once in a while, I'll catch sight of my surgical scar and I have to remind myself where that came from.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

@Lucielou Welccome to the other side. I didn't really trust my left hip for almost two years. It was only after I quit thinking about it daily. At some point around month 20, I realized I had not thought about my new hip for weeks. That is when I trusted my left one.
Even tho my right one isn't quite 7 weeks old, I already trust it. It wasn't nearly as painful as the first one.
So a day will come when you will forget about your new hip. That is what it took for me to trust it the first time around.
BTW, I agree with @alexthecat You will forget it isn't original equipment.

Personally I'm just so glad not to have that nagging hip pain that was degrading and controlling my life .
Now im a little over 4 weeks and can walk with a cane pain free. Yesterday I forgot and started going downstairs like normal. I mean not one at a time. It scared me but I did ok, weak but ok. Told myself to slow it down Bill.

I am 5 weeks post THR and during this week I decided to leave my cane next to our bed in case I getup at night but otherwise it was falling from leaning it up to surfaces more than it was helping me. I am doing much better with walking balanced without it according to PT so my fear of falling is much less. Also I am trusting my new hip more as I am doing the elliptical at a low level and even tried a stretch and meditate class which felt great. I am doing what I can by listening to my body and feeling good about the effort of trying some new activities with the doctors okay. So hopefully you feel less fearful as you incorporate activities you enjoyed before surgery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts