Living alone and having TKR January 2019

Love2RV

Country
United States United States
If anyone has any advise, I live alone and I just moved to a new state and I don't know anyone that can stay with me. What should I expect and what do I need to do to get ready for this. Any help would be great.

Hi @Love2RV

My daughter did travel in to stay with me for a few days after each of my three replacements, but aside from that I’ve been totally on my own at home and it’s been no problem at all.

Other folks will come along and provide some links that contain recommendations for those of us recovering while living alone.

There are the obvious things like food prep and buying staples ahead. For some reason I really stockpiled both Coke Zero and toilet paper this time. I guess it makes sense if I think about it :)

I did a much better job this time preparing and freezing food that I would actually eat.

I also had things like mixed nuts, trail mix, and protein shake ingredients on hand to eat if nothing else sounded good.

Then there are the rides you might need to the doctor’s and to PT (should you choose to go). Thank heavens for Uber and such.

I just wanted to stop by and say welcome and also say that this is totally doable while living alone.

Hello @Love2RV - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

We do have a thread here that has plenty of information and tips about coming home alone after surgery:
Home Alone After Surgery

You should b e able to get into and out of bed, walk to the bathroom and back using a walker, and negotiate stairs before your discharge from hospital.

Make sure your surgeon and people in hospital know that you will be living alone once you get home. It may be possible to go to a rehab unit for a few days.

Decide where you're going to have your"nest" the place wher you'll spend most of your time at first, and plan to have everything you'll need close at hand.

Prepare and freeze some meals in advance, or else get some TV dinners, so th you don't have to start cooking meals from scratch.

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

These days joint replacement is so successful that it's unusual for anyone to go to a rehab center after the couple of days you'll probably spend in the hospital. Your nurses and therapists will ensure that you are able to do basic things like get out of bed, walk short distances, use the bathroom and climb a few stairs. You'll have an occupational therapist who will discuss your home situation and a social worker who will arrange for home health services that start once you get back home. You should do just fine.

Do you have any friends, neighbors or church members who can take you home and get you settled and maybe check in on you now and then? That would be helpful. The biggest things to set up are who will be able to go to the pharmacy and get your prescriptions and putting up meals in the freezer and stocking your kitchen with easy to prepare, healthy foods for your return home. Check to see if one or two of your nearby grocery stores has online shopping and delivery service. That can be helpful as you probably won't be driving for about 6 weeks.

It's really not necessary for you to have someone with you 24/7, but you do need to see about some folks who could give you a hand now and then.

I never had any one with me (well just a few days with the first one) for either knees and it was about as much of a doddle as you could expect! Read my recovery thread. Knee recoveries UK style Parts I & II (Josephine)

Just to give me a head start I did have a carer for about an hour a day for the first few days, just until I felt happy doing shower and all on my own. Second time around, I discharged her on day four!

LOL I thought about getting someone for a few hours a day, but I don't think I would like them just sitting around and me paying them.

Oh I also thought about moving my bed into the living room but then I don't know how long it would take me to move it back to the bedroom. What do you think?

I guess I should have said (I see where you asked) it's my right knee and the surgery is Jan 16th in Arkansas. I only have one sister that lives in HI and she can't come due to her work.

Thank you so much for your post.

I thought about getting someone for a few hours a day
I just noticed I said I got someone in for an hour a day but that was wrong. I got her in for HALF and hour a day. Just wanted her to see me safely upstairs and in and out of the shower (needed no help with that!) and then down again. That was it! So 30 minutes was plenty. And like I said, it was only for about 3-4 days each time.
I also thought about moving my bed into the living room but then I don't know how long it would take me to move it back to the bedroom. What do you think?
People invariably overplan this, thinking they are going to be a disabled invalid for weeks but it's far from the truth. The worst bit will be the first few days, maybe as little as a week, after which you will be pretty much independent and able to see to yourself in most aspects. You need to refer to the Activity progression for TKRs for detail on this.

And bed can be your own bed within a few days. However, I did teat myself to a nice recliner couch which I slept in 3 months pre-op and another 3 months post-op. It was pretty much the same for both knees.

So my advice is, don't go to the trouble of moving beds. Much better to make yourself a nice 'nest' in the living room. either armchair or settee, where you can do all the things you want, watch TV, have the phone to hand, and so on - AND you can nap as much as you want! You don't have to be in bed to get a good snooze!

But when it comes to elevating, make sure that's taken care of too. I used my settee like one of these! Making sure your follow the rule "toes above nose!

elevate 2-horz-horz.jpg

I also thought about moving my bed into the living room but then I don't know how long it would take me to move it back to the bedroom. What do you think?
No real need to move your bed - especially if you don't have help on a regular basis. You will be moving about on your own when you leave the hospital.

Great advise and yes I think I'm over thinking it, I had another surgery about 12 years ago and I was in a wheelchair for 4 months and could put no weight on my leg. I lived with my sister for that one and I think my mind is just remembering all I had to go through for that recovery. When she was gone I was scared out of my mind as it was tornado season and when the sound went off on the TV I had no way to get to a shelter. This sounds like it will be much less stressful recovery.

But, I'm still a planer LOL.:loll:

Does anyone know the time line for returning to work? I work in a jail and I need to be able to lift 50 lbs and walk A LOT.

The BoneSmart take is that 12 weeks is the target, with a planned return to work perhaps involving part-time.

Not long now! Are you getting excited for the new knee?

Scared would be a better word. I'm a diabetic and my stress is making by blood sugar go all over the place.

:console2:We’ll be here for you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member