BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

[THR] Living alone after total hip replacement

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by bocca2017, Feb 14, 2017.

1. bocca2017

bocca2017 Junior Member

Canada Canada
    I can but its a lot. Rest assured I'm doing my exercises I was instructed to do

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

2. bocca2017

bocca2017 Junior Member

Canada Canada
    I'm sorry I'm not answering these properly. I'm very new to forums and to me there are a few ways to answer

3. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    There are indeed - you can read about them here Starting a new thread and posting

I know it's a lot but that's exactly what I want to know! I'm more concerned about you doing too much!

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

4. bocca2017

bocca2017 Junior Member

Canada Canada
    All these exercises are laying down with a hold for 5 seconds. Relax and repeat 10 times. 3 times a day
    1. Allow your knee to bend a little. Push heel into bed. Tighten the muscle at the back of your thigh
    2. Squeeze buttocks together.
    3.straighten your leg by tightening the muscles on the front of your thigh. Push your knee into the bed
    4. Wrap a large towel around a can. Place under your knee. Lift foot off the bed by straightening your leg. Do not lift your knee off the can
    5. Slide your heel towards your buttocks. Keep your heel and buttocks on the bed.
    6. Slide your operated leg out to the side. Hold and bring back to other leg
    7. While sitting straighten your operated leg out as far as possible then bring your heel as far back under the chair as possible

These last 4 are all done standing with the same hold and repeat
    1. Stand up straight. Lift the knee of the operated leg upwards
    2. Hip abduction standing straight up
    3. Hip extension to the back
    4. Standing straight up bend your knew by bringing the heel of your operated leg towards your buttocks.

5. gertie

gertie Graduate

United States United States
    @bocca2017 That is a lot of PT for so soon after surgery! I was discharged from hospital with a sheet of exercises similar to yours and instructions to do them with the same kind of frequency you're doing but the PT who came to my house said "no way"--she reminded me I needed to let soft tissue heal and to take things really easy. I started outpatient PT at about the 3 month point but even now I'm not doing as much as you are.

6. bocca2017

bocca2017 Junior Member

Canada Canada
    I was not instructed to do any physio outside these exercises.

7. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

I've not been given any exercises to do. I'm Seeing physio at 3 week mark but only to check my walking gait, nothing else.
    Like Josephine said, I've just been told to walk but not to excess, and in the early days just doing your normal house routine... shower, toilet, get lunch is enough.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

8. bocca2017

bocca2017 Junior Member

Canada Canada
    At the bottom of my page it says let pain be your guide.. Lol lol. I'm still feeling weird today so I'm going back to doing nothing

9. gertie

gertie Graduate

@bocca2017 Oh, I get it that you've been doing what the PT assigned to you and no more--but just doing that is a lot! Just something to consider if you're having pain/discomfort.

10. gertie

gertie Graduate

And I just read your message that you're doing nothing right now. Good idea!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Josephine

okay - not bad!
    4 Tylenol 4 times a day is 16 tablets which is 5,200 mg per 24hrs. The safe maximum is 4,000mg. You're overdosing yourself! Take 1,000mg (3 325mg which is 975mg). How long have you been taking this much? If it's more than a week, I suggest you get your GP/PCP to check you liver function.

As for the morphine, what is the dosage written on the bottle/box? Is it really one tablet twice daily? That doesn't seem a sensible dose to me.
    You accomplish little or nothing in 20 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
    okay
    Hm, well okay. Not bad

So sorry but you still haven't told me how many of these you are doing at a time and how many sessions each day. Tell me that and I'll come back and address these points.
    1. Allow your knee to bend a little. Push heel into bed. Tighten the muscle at the back of your thigh
    2. Squeeze buttocks together
    3. straighten your leg by tightening the muscles on the front of your thigh. Push your knee into the bed
    4. Wrap a large towel around a can. Place under your knee. Lift foot off the bed by straightening your leg. Do not lift your knee off the can
    5. Slide your heel towards your buttocks. Keep your heel and buttocks on the bed.
    6. Slide your operated leg out to the side. Hold and bring back to other leg
    7. While sitting straighten your operated leg out as far as possible then bring your heel as far back under the chair as possible

These last 4 are all done standing with the same hold and repeat
    1. Stand up straight. Lift the knee of the operated leg upwards
    2. Hip abduction standing straight up
    3. Hip extension to the back
    4. Standing straight up bend your knew by bringing the heel of your operated leg towards your buttocks

12. bocca2017

bocca2017 Junior Member

Canada Canada
    I have only been taking that much Tylenol for 2 days. I will cut back.
    The dosage on the bottle of morphine says 1-2 tablets every 3 hours when needed. I am not in that much pain and am actually going to start weaning myself off my morning one
    As for excercises I do them 1-2 times a day

13. bocca2017

bocca2017 Junior Member

Canada Canada
    The exercises are held for 5 seconds then relax. Reps of 10

14. Josephine

Yes, too much. Hips don't need that much exercising. I suggest you stop all the ones I have crossed out because you don't need them.

If you are only taking the morphine tablets twice a day there should be no need for you to 'wean off' them.

15. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

You are still very early in recovery and you may find yourself with some pain as you start increasing your activity in the coming days or weeks. Morphine obviously is a strong narcotic and it may be more than you need should pain increase. You might ask your GP or surgeon about prescribing Tramadol to use along with the Tylenol.

And, I suggest that you use the Extra Strength Tylenol (500mg) rather than the 325mg. Each dose would be 1000mg taken 6 hours apart for the maximum 4000mg per 24 hours. Just be sure to count any other over the counter meds that might contain acetaminophen (the active ingredient in Tylenol) in that daily total. Acetaminophen is commonly found in a lot of products such as cold and flu medicine or sinus medicine. Check labels of anything you take.

16. TDennison

TDennison Junior Member

bocca2017, I know I am late to reading this thread and maybe someone else already answered you. I was told, if it popped out it would be the most painful I could imagine, so I think you would know. Also I was told that unless I fell and the hip was impacted, there was no way I was going to break the hip. Also, I had a feeling early on that I really messed it up...now I don't think about it. It has been 8.5 weeks for me bilateral.

T

17. bocca2017

bocca2017 Junior Member

Canada Canada
    Hi everyone
    I am now 3 weeks post op after having my right hip done. Have been feeling great with just a few bumps along the way. I actually have found that I am quite sore in my lower back on my left side and my left ribs are sore just in the one spot. Is it possible this is all from using that side to do most of the work? Any suggestions on relieving this? I have the tens machine on my lower back at times. I am icing it along with my ribs

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  18. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Because you are trying to stay off that sore hip you are probably carrying yourself all wrong. TENS is a good idea. But frankly at this stage the only thing I can suggest is to rest and try and stay off that hip. Are you using any walking aid? I found one crutch really helped during my wait for LTHR.

19. bocca2017

bocca2017 Junior Member

Canada Canada
    Oh sorry Jaycey I am 3 weeks post op. I may have typed that wrong

20. Irish Joe

Irish Joe Forum Advisor

Ireland Ireland
    Hi.
    Back is always one of the first things to give problems when were not walking properly.
    Try soft tissue massage if you want and as Jaycey says help your gait with a bit of support from a crutch or cane.
    Best of luck.
    Joe......

• Agree Agree x 1