BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

[THR] Living alone after total hip replacement

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by bocca2017, Feb 14, 2017.

1. bocca2017

bocca2017 Junior Member

Canada Canada
    I'm on Day 8 post op. Moving around my apartment slowly. I have my daughter with me till next week then she has to go back to school. When my surgeon said I would wake up with no hip pain I was so excited but I never fully understood the discomfort of this surgery. I have tried to be a hero and not take the morphine but realized that was just stupid.

I sometimes feel like I do too much. Then when I lay it still for periods of time I get sore from that as well. It's my nightmare from before the surgery. I'm terrified of being left alone in a week both physically and emotionally. I'm grateful I found this forum

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Tags:
  2. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just passing through to let you know I'm thinking of you at this time when things aren't great.

I am behind you in the hip replacement journey, so can't offer much practical advice.
    I do think we all under estimate how valuable just someone being around is. Hope you find a solution to make things better.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

3. bocca2017

bocca2017 Junior Member

Canada Canada
    JenJuniper, thank you. When is your surgery

4. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

It was yesterday!
    Hence I have all the recovery to come!!!!

5. bocca2017

bocca2017 Junior Member

Canada Canada
    Good for you for searching out this forum ahead of time.

6. bocca2017

bocca2017 Junior Member

Canada Canada
    I sometimes feel like I'm back at day 1. I was 2 days behind in my progress at the hospital as they had me on Dilaudin and it made me so nauseous. I couldn't use the bathroom without wanting to throw up or pass out. Day 3 my surgeon came to see me and was upset my meds weren't changed. I switched to morphine sulfate and everything stopped

7. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

It has given me so much in preparation, operation and recovery processes that I am so grateful.

I think the key thing is to take your time in recovery. If you are only 8 days out, there is still so much recovering to be done... which I'm told is all about the rest, ice and elevation! (Someone will tag you in the full post of advice to help you! I'm still a newbie lol!!)

8. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

I think that recovery is unique to each of us and I for one won't be comparing mine to anyone else's. Although I have had a good day 1, I am aware that things may change as my recovery progresses. You are only 8 days out and sounds like you have had a rough time with medication, but you are only 8 days into what is a long recovery!
    As long as things are healing physically wise.... however long it takes, it's all steps in the right direction

9. bocca2017

bocca2017 Junior Member

Canada Canada
    I'm already learning about stuff. I learned about ice here and now elevation. Would love to get tagged in that post.
    Another thing I decided today is that I need to make my bedroom more "rest" friendly. I sleep really well and when I want to lay down I've been going to my couch which is hard for me to get on by myself so I have to figure that out today

10. gertie

gertie Graduate

United States United States
    @Jaycey It looks like @bocca2017 could use an official welcome and the reading list!

Bocca--I read your early post where you had concern about being alone after your daughter leaves. What kind of services do you have available to you? Are there friends who could stop by? I was on my own after day 6 and did fine with friends and neighbors stopping in--I also had an in-home PT who came by a couple of times a week and answered questions, helped me with gait, helped me transition off the walker and onto the cane and then off the cane, etc.

11. bocca2017

bocca2017 Junior Member

Canada Canada
    gertie, thank you very much for the welcome. I actually do have a great support system and am just over thinking things. I will need to get out to physio but have that help. It's very odd and I'm not sure where everyone is from but in Nova Scotia I was just released with my meds list and said "see ya in 5 weeks". Next week I remove my own bandage and see my incision. I have stitches inside and its glued. Thank fully I have a good friend going through nursing whose excited about doing that for me. This forum is turning into a great support for me.

12. opie

opie Member

@bocca2017 we are all here to help. I am now 14 days post op for my 2 hip replacement. I can tell you that every couple of days I was able to do more and more independently. Also there were emotional moments out of no where. All in all I truly believe you will be just fine when your daughter goes back to school. Keep in touch.

13. bocca2017

bocca2017 Junior Member

Canada Canada
    Thank you Opie. I truly understand about a little day by day

14. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator Staff Member

@bocca2017 Welcome to the other side! Please don't worry about going it alone next week. You will be fine. If you have a friend who can stop by once a day that would be good. But in truth it's not necessary. By the time your daughter leaves you will be much more confident moving around on your own. Put things within reach. Have small meals prepared so that you can just microwave.

Here is a reading list for you that might help answer questions or concerns about this recovery. We are here for you - just shout here on this thread if you have a question.
    First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
    - rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
    - if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
    - if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
    - if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
    - never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
    - be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery
    Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
    Activity progression for THRs
    Home physio (PT)
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

15. bocca2017

bocca2017 Junior Member

Canada Canada
    Oh Jaycey I love the mantra!! Thank you. Can you believe I was not told to elevate or Ice but since finding this forum I have done so and feel better all ready

16. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator Staff Member

Yes! I asked for an ice pack post RTHR and they looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. I suggested they ask PT for one it there was not one available on the ward. By the end of my stay I had 2 ice packs with my name on them and I rotated all day. Ice is definitely a help in these early days.

17. gertie

gertie Graduate

Oh, I know that tune! Maybe your daughter can help you tame that overthinking. A few years ago, I had a broken ankle and was non weightbearing for 8 long weeks. My sister came for the first 10 days or so and I was panicked as the time for her to leave approached but she sat down with me and we made a list of the various things that needed attending to and figured out either how I could do it or who I could ask (or whether I could let it go for a while). Big help in calming me down. And you're going to be a whole lot more mobile than I was when I was hopping around on one leg!

• Like Like x 2
  18. bocca2017

bocca2017 Junior Member

Canada Canada
    Hi Jen. Just checking in to see how you are doing

19. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

Hello @bocca2017! All good here thanks! Looks like I'm going home later (my day3)!
    I see you got your reading topics from the forum and glad to hear that Ice/elevation is helping!
    How you feeling today? Hopefully better with all the info? I really find it helps being well informed and this forum has helped me loads with that!

20. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Staff Member Administrator

@bocca2017 I can give you some personal advice if you like but in order to do that, I need to ask you some questions. Would you like me to do that?