BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Live Man Limping - New Inmate

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Strod, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Strod

Strod

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello All,

Courtesy of my deceased Irish Gran, it seems I have inherited the arthritic hip condition with which she was riddled but my Father escaped. Can't choose your family huh? :)

I was diagnosed with severe arthritis of my right hip circa 4+ years ago and have been trying to put off the inevitable for as long as possible. However, now the discomfort has worsened to the point that my mobility is significantly impaired, I struggle with socks/shoes and my left hip is starting to show related symptoms. This has led to many conversations with my wife about "tipping points" and "quality of life", resulting her in coercing me into action.

So the deed has been done, I'm booked in for THR on 18th October (OS targeting ceramic on ceramic with uncemented stem). Despite reading the information packs, watching the DVD etc, it still doesn't seem "real" yet. I guess reality will bite closer to the time..

Cheers!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ariel

Ariel

After surgery you will curse yourself for putting it off for four years. As you are uncemented I take it you are reasonably young so you should recover quickly.

Edit I see you are 47.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Gretel

Gretel

Australia Australia
    I'm having both hips replaced 4th October. Poor mum is saying she doesn't know where it's come from, like I'm going to blame her lol As it's getting closer I'm going between nervousness and relief. It's been a long time since hubby and I have had a full nights sleep! Shall be thinking of you.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Layla

Layla

United States United States
    Hi @Strod
    Welcome! I've only been on this forum for about 3 months but was a lurker for quite sometime prior.
    Your thread title is the best I've seen yet......LOVE IT! Makes me laugh.

Sorry about your struggles. They sound all too familiar. Experienced them myself. I had anxiety prior to surgery also. Most of us do. I have no regrets though. It's been a game changer to lose the pain and regain the lost mobility. Stay close, we'll be here to encourage and cheer you on now and after surgery.

Best wishes for a good week!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

Arthritis is no more inherited than a broken leg is! It's micro trauma in origin which is why it gets that other name "wear and tear"!

Here's some helpful info for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
    Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing hip recoveries

• Like Like x 1
  6. Horseshoe

Horseshoe

@Strod yep, it's my unfortunate legacy too although I admit to being very active. However we are very fortunate that thr is available, my grandmother suffered terribly with bad hips.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Mojo333

Mojo333 Forum Advisor

@Strod You shall be singing your wife's praises for her insight and prodding in short time.
    I was a super young 53 when my 5 year back pain and worsening lack of sleep and range of motion led me finally to a diagnosis of degenerative osteoarthritis and subsequently underwent bilateral hip replacement.
    I can reach my feet again, sleep a full night, work and walk all day with only minor recovery issues.
    Wish I had known how badly I needed to have done this sooner.
    Does make you feel like you are too young to be having such a major surgery for "worn out" body parts, but so far...I'm bionic and happily hip pain free.
    No regrets.:yahoo:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. EmEm

EmEm

Hi @Strod where are you having your surgery? I'm having my RTHR in Reading on October 4th. I had my pre-op assessment on Wednesday and the most stressful part was the driving there and the parking!

9. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

I hear you! My grandmother had one of the first hip replacements performed in the US. Eventually had both replaced. I have also "joined that club".

You won't regret this surgery. It is life changing!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. GrannyC

GrannyC

I totally agree with all,the responses. Your only regret will be that you didn't have it done sooner!! It is absolutely amazing to get rid of all that arthritis pain in an instant. Not a day goes by that I don't stop and think how blessed I am to have my life back and be pain free!! Your wife is one smart lady to encourage you like that

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Strod

Strod

Thanks everyone for the feedback and encouragement! :)

@EmEm - I'm booked into The Hampshire Clinic in Basingstoke, glad to hear your pre-op assessment went well, best of luck for your procedure on 4th Oct!

12. Layla

Layla

Best Wishes @Strod
    It's a decision you won't regret. Please stay in contact so we can encourage and support you
    on your journey. A great week to you!

Hi @Jaycey
    I find it interesting your grandmother was one of the first hip replacements performed
    in the US. I'm assuming 50-60 yrs ago? While that feels like a long time ago, the thought of
    spending life in a wheelchair as your only alternative back then.. makes me count my blessings!
    Wondering if you know what the life span of a prothestic was back then?
    Best wishes for a good week!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

I'm not sure of the date when the surgery was performed. I'll ask my Mom.
    Well she only had one THR and died age 102 - so in her case it was a forever hip.

• Like Like x 2
  14. EmEm

EmEm

Hi @Strod I had wrist surgery at The Hampshire Clinic last year and had my hip MRI there too because that's our nearest private hospital but eventually decided to go to Circle Reading for my THR to get a surgeon who had been recommended. The Circle hospital is new and lovely but the parking is a nightmare.

15. Strod

Strod

Hi @EmEm the Hampshire Clinic is also my closest option, plus the surgeon seems approachable, understanding and accomplished, so I just put a stick in the ground. Hopefully it will be the right decision... :chinstroke:
    I hope you have a great experience and outcome at the Circle hospital, despite the parking challenges! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. EmEm

EmEm

At least for the next few weeks parking will not be my problem, I will have a chauffeur!
    I suspect as your profile lists you as living in Berkshire that we may live fairly close. We are on the Hampshire/Berkshire border near to a large scientific establishment.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Strod

Strod

We are also on the Hampshire/Berkshire border, but possibly a bit further West if you are where I think you are. We are fairly near to a certain historic country house / estate which was made famous by a recent period drama on tv.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. EmEm

EmEm

One of my favourite programmes! At least your journey to the Hampshire Clinic should be quite easy apart from the multiple roundabouts around Basingstoke. I will be looking out for your recovery thread after the 18th.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Strod

Strod

So now tough stuff starts to get/feel real, pre-op assessment tomorrow morning, fingers crossed I pass.... :) :-) (:

20. Strod

Strod

I have a quick question if I may? Further to my pre-op assessment last week, which appeared to go ok, I think the wife may have infected me with her cold (typical!). Assuming it is nothing more sinister than a seasonal cold, would this threaten my THR procedure targeted for next week?