BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Little nylon string sticking out!

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by vjp65, Jul 10, 2019.

1. vjp65

vjp65 new member

United States United States
    I'm 8 weeks out of a Left TKR. About 2 weeks ago I noticed a little "hole" at the top of my incision scar. I showed my OS at the last visit 2 weeks ago and he said it'd heal up on it's own, but I could put a little bandage on it if I liked. I didn't, thought it would heal up, but today I noticed a little piece of nylon string sticking out. About 1/4" long, maybe a bit smaller. It's now mostly sucked back in, but a bit is still out, maybe 1mm. So I put a bandage over it, a water proof one, and now don't know what to do! Any good ideas? I go back to my OS in two weeks. That seems like a long time to wait!

2. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

IMHO, it's likely a dissolving stitch that was placed in a layer under the skin and is just sticking out a bit. When the doctor closes your wound, he does it in layers and under the surface of your skin he uses dissolvable stitches. It should finish dissolving with time. You could message your doctor and ask what you should do-whether you should leave it alone, or not, if it's really worrying or bothering you.

3. vjp65

vjp65 new member

I was hoping it would be that easy! Ok, I’ll call in the morning and hopefully they’ll say to wait it out! Thanks,

4. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

When you call, they may want you to come in so they can remove it right away so you can continue healing. Having a stitch work its way out actually happens now and then and it should not be a problem for you.

5. vjp65

vjp65 new member

Ok! That sounds good! Thanks!

6. Benay

Benay graduate

1EDC17D9-41A5-4211-996D-312D9BB1FF28.jpeg I had the same thing. OS said pull it out myself or come in. Night before I had the appointment I think it got rubbed off on the sheets which was great. But I kept the appointment and he said it was nothing to worry about, occasionally happens a deep stitch doesn't dissolve and works it way out. Later I had a smaller second one and being that I knew what it was didn't worry. A couple of days later it was gone. I've had no more. I would never have pulled it myself so I got lucky I think. I'll add a pic of how mine looked - I emailed him the same one.

7. knee#2

knee#2 member

Hi! I also had stitch that worked itself to the surface.. I also have another new device in my body, day after my TKR I needed emergency pacemaker surgery so it’s important no infections on that side particularly so my OS put me on weeks worth of antibiotics.

8. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @vjp65 - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Here is the recovery reading that everyone with a new knee is given - lots of useful and informative articles:
    Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

9. vjp65

vjp65 new member

Sure! Left TKR on May 14, 2019!

10. vjp65

vjp65 new member

So I had my PT look at my straying suture this afternoon and it had gone back in far enough we couldn’t get to it, even with a tweezers! So I put another bandaid on it and will wait and see!

11. sjsadler

sjsadler new member

Had a similar stitch sticking out, skin was a bit red so I just kept it clean and applied some antibiotic then in a couple weeks it was gone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

12. Benay

Benay graduate

I had two like that, didn't cover them they got rubbed off by the sheets I guess when they were ready.

13. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    If that suture pops up again, don't go trying to pull it out. It should be snipped shorter with a sterile pair of scissors, then have the site covered by a Bandaid again.

14. vjp65

vjp65 new member

Well, it went back in the second time and never showed itself again! My little “black hole” has healed over and seems to be done playing that little game! (No, it’s not actually black!!). I had my “final” OS appointment on Monday and he released me from PT, still have to do them at home, and I don’t have to see him again until I’m one year out! He said the scar looked great and the implant was perfect! Yay! Hubby says “He’s pretty proud of his work!”. Thank you to all of you here on BoneSmart! Seriously, reading your posts and comments have kept me sane and helped me understand a lot better what is going on inside of my leg! Can’t thank you enough!

15. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

That's great news! Keeping members "sane" is what we're here for. I'm so glad you feel BoneSmart was a benefit to you. If you are so inclined, a donation to BoneSmart (it's tax dedictible) would be a great way to say thank you. We depend on the generosity of members to keep us up and running so we are here when people have concerns. There is a donate button at the top of the page.

16. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You sound like you're doing well! And thank-you for the compliment, we're so glad we can help others.